Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon - some goals would be nice!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Have to say we would look a much worse team without him upfront. Gald McGhee got over his fasination with playing him on the wings.. he's bought in a lookallike now!

Leon - SCORE MORE. Or risk losing your place to el Turi.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The trouble Leon has is he's so often starting from too far away from goal, so his tricks and turns buy him some space, but he's still 30 yards out from goal and that is more a fault of the team rather than him. If we could get him more possesion in the penalty area he ( and Robinson, CKR or even McCammon) would score goals. I think it's the old lack of a creative midfield problem personally

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
KinkyGoebels said:
He has only started 6 more games than jake - its not just up to Leon you know.

I know that but Leon is an established 1st team member and considered a starter, where as Jake is coming through the ranks and learning his trade!

Plus Jake was FREE and is not on the same money as Leon who with his quality should be scoring more!

Bruce Lee Wannabe

Nov 10, 2004
Brighton
Think Leon is an absolutely quality footballer - one of the best at the club. But at the end of the day, you need a striker to be scoring goals. He did have a good start however have noticed him drifting out wide again quite a lot reacently and as McGhee says you need a striker to really be around the six yard box. We now have three wingers that can provide the service so Leon needs to be getting on the end of them more rather then creating them. However I really do think he is too good to be left out of the squad. Maybe try him somewhere along the middle again or up front as part of a threesome.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
gvce26 said:

Plus Jake was FREE and is not on the same money as Leon who with his quality should be scoring more!

NOW I get it - the more you are paid, the more goals you score. I never realised it was so simple. Let's just pay Mayo £30k a week and stick him up front.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Kylies Stunt Arse said:

Personally I'm not concerned with Leon's lack of goals. He's not missing gilt-edged chances and is creating chances for others in the team. His overall contribution this season has been consistently good.

Exactly.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Bruce Lee Wannabe said:
He did have a good start however have noticed him drifting out wide again quite a lot reacently

But that's not a bad thing - you just need a midfielder, striker and the opposite winger to attack the box when he does. Hopefully with Hammond back in the goals, he can be the midfielder, while I think Frutos offers a more dangerous option on the left than Jarrett, as shown on saturday when he headed just wide from Leon's excellent floated cross.

One of Leon's best attributes is his creative play, we may as well learn to capitalise on it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would like to see Leon running into the area whenever CKR, Jake or someone else has had a shot at goal.
Many times the keeper has just deflected the ball and it has gone begging for someone to be there for a tap in.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yorkie said:
I would like to see Leon running into the area whenever CKR, Jake or someone else has had a shot at goal.
Many times the keeper has just deflected the ball and it has gone begging for someone to be there for a tap in.

Watching the Championship it's not just us that conceede that way.

It seems we sometimes need that luck and that first to follow up attitude.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
gvce26 said:
I know that but Leon is an established 1st team member and considered a starter, where as Jake is coming through the ranks and learning his trade!

As normal the exscuses come out for Jake - if he is old enough to play in the first team he is old enough to accept he needs to score more

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
hans kraay fan club said:
NOW I get it - the more you are paid, the more goals you score. I never realised it was so simple. Let's just pay Mayo £30k a week and stick him up front.

Great attempt of being funny! However the point remains that Leon is our first choice striker, well paid, argueable our best player but has only managed about a goal every 6 games! I'm not critising him but I would just like to see him score a bit more!!

I have just put £5 on him to open the scoring tonight so I will be cheering him on!!

Leon KNIGHT KNIGHT KNIGHT!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
As normal the exscuses come out for Jake - if he is old enough to play in the first team he is old enough to accept he needs to score more

So you are happy with Leon's scoring ratio as our senior striker?

So quick to slag of Jake but Leon is only just in front of him ;)

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Trigger said:
NOW 3 wins in 27 games for our manager :shootself

One leads onto the other there! The top striker is firing blanks therefore we are not winning!

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
gvce26 said:
One leads onto the other there! The top striker is firing blanks therefore we are not winning!

A fraction harsh, as ever ... we didn't win last night because we gave away a goal eight minutes from time - and I'd like to see you blame Leon for that, what with not being on the pitch and all ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here