Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon - some goals would be nice!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
A fraction harsh, as ever ... we didn't win last night because we gave away a goal eight minutes from time - and I'd like to see you blame Leon for that, what with not being on the pitch and all ...

I'd blame CKR for giving the ball away very cheaply when he should have held it up. The goal came as a direct result of that. I know CKR is only young but he spends too much time complaining and holding his hands up looking at the ref, too much time on the ground when he feels he should have had a foul. Just fecking get on with it mate, petulence will get you nowhere, ask your co-striker ;)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
So you are happy with Leon's scoring ratio as our senior striker?

So quick to slag of Jake but Leon is only just in front of him ;)

difference is leon brings more to th3 game - jake doesnt

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Repugnant Toad said:
A fraction harsh, as ever ... we didn't win last night because we gave away a goal eight minutes from time - and I'd like to see you blame Leon for that, what with not being on the pitch and all ...

I'm not blaming Leon for last night's result - personally I think Nicolas was poor, CKR kept moaning rather than playing and changing to 4-5-1 and sitting back was not a good idea.

However having our main striker consistantly not scoring is not helping, his all round game has improved and he brings different things to the team, but we still require our MAIN STRIKER to score more than 3 in 19 games if we are to win games.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No i dont i think you sometimes need to take your rose tinted glasses off - this side should be mid table and mcghees blunders are the reason it is not.

but no you can carry on wearing those glasses.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Here we go again, have a go at Leon time. Its already been said on here that he is more of a creative type Bergkamp player than a out and out goal scorer like Owen or someone. Would like to see Leon score more as I sure he would like to score more, he dosn't go out with the intention of not scoring does he, some of the balls that he has played into the area for people have been superb and bit more confidence from some of our other forwards would have resulted in some more goals.
Why do fans always have a go at the skillful flair players sure if we had Ronaldinho or someone people would still find something to moan about him.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Leon could and SHOULD get more goals. The point is that Zamora aside, we have not had a 20 goals a season striker since Kurt Nogan - they are hard to come by.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
KinkyGoebels said:
No i dont i think you sometimes need to take your rose tinted glasses off - this side should be mid table and mcghees blunders are the reason it is not.

but no you can carry on wearing those glasses.

Absolute tripe. The strikers should be putting their chances away. That includes Leon, Jakey and CKR.
There is only so much a manager can do short of getting on the field and scoring himself.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
BUTTERBALL said:
The point is that Zamora aside, we have not had a 20 goals a season striker since Kurt Nogan - they are hard to come by.

True. Sadly, some people took that sort of goal-scoring for granted when we replaced Zamora with another striker capable of such feats. They would do well to remember how few quality goalscorers there are out there.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Leon is now the senior striker at the club and must accept that he's not scoring as many he as should. I'm NOT having a go at him as I think he's one of the best players but facts are facts. Managers are rightly judged on results, strikers are judged on how many goals they score. Leon should be scoring more.
Jake and CKR are very young and I'm sure will develop in time into goalscorers at this level. Time for Turienzo to be given a chance... alongside Leon?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Sneaky George said:
strikers are judged on how many goals they score.

A little simplistic. Strikers are judged on how well they do their jobs, and those jobs vary depending on the player. You expect Owen to score goals, Zola to create ... I'm sure Leon would like to score more goals, but they'll come. In the meantime, he's doing the other parts of his job perfectly well.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Repugnant Toad said:
A little simplistic. Strikers are judged on how well they do their jobs, and those jobs vary depending on the player. You expect Owen to score goals, Zola to create ... I'm sure Leon would like to score more goals, but they'll come. In the meantime, he's doing the other parts of his job perfectly well.
Fundamentally strikers are meant to score goals aren't they? That's what they're brought for. Yes Zola was great at providing goal scoring opportunites but he always banged them in as well. The fact that Leon's all round play is SOMETIMES creative, when he can be arsed, and not pretending to be injured, is a bonus but don't tell me Coppell brought him for that. Bobby had left, we needed a goalscorer and Leon was the designated man. And in that season he was brilliant. Goals galore.

But can he do it in the Championship? For me, the jury's still out . And if he's not scoring, we have the option of playing him out wide which has sometimes worked or we could try him with another partner. But there'll come a time when McGhee will think about bringing in another striker if we continue to miss chance after chance.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, a striker should score goals as his primary job... Leon needs to score more... and... El Turi is not likely to be the answer based on his scoring record in Argentina...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here