Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is the thing people would rather have a trier in the side (mccammon) who is way below the standard than someone like knight who yes sometime gets moody but can change a game with his skill

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
I don't think relegation-zone football suits him, where you have to maintain your concentration levels at a far higher pitch because the chances come along far less frequently than if you play for a top 10 team.

This is probably true - I reckon if we can stay up and aim for a mid-table finish next season, Leon will come good for us goals-wise. Not 27 perhaps, but I'd back him to get double figures.

I think this situation probably just suits Virgs more - although that's not to take away from his achievements this season in any way.

McGhee in the Argus today: "We'll worry about Leon's ban after tonight. He has to play better than he did on Saturday for it to be a worry."

You gotta hand it to McGhee, he tells it like it is :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You gotta hand it to McGhee, he does play him out of position every game and then slates him.

He's a STRIKER.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
KinkyGoebels said:
This is the thing people would rather have a trier in the side (mccammon) who is way below the standard than someone like knight who yes sometime gets moody but can change a game with his skill
Exactly. A team of 11 tryers won't get far. You need some proper players too, look at what's happened to Everton since selling Gravesen. They're still organised and hard working but they don't have the quality.

I think Leon's performance's on Saturday was so poor out wide that McGhee may be losing patience with him there too. You may get your wish Chappers that Leon could be restored up front. But from the bench to cover for a tiring Big Mac or Virgs. But I reckon there is a chance he might start tonight as 3 games in 7 days might be too much for Big Mac in his current recovering state.

I think McPhee has had it. McGhee very clear today that he had 3 strikers, Big Mac, Virgs and Leon.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Possibly. But the majority of Virgs' goals have been through-balls to feet, not headers. ie. how Leon got his goals last season.

Hand on heart, when OGH played that through-ball on Saturday, who would you have wanted to be on the end of it, Virgs or Leon?

I've seen just over three-quarters of Brighton's games this year, and I'm afraid my view is that Leon's goals-to-chances ratio has really plummeted. He's missed so many clear chances this season, even obvious one-on-ones with the keeper. That ludicrous miss at the end of the Millwall home game summed his season up in front of goal. His confidence has wavered too, hence the 2 pen misses.

I don't think relegation-zone football suits him, where you have to maintain your concentration levels at a far higher pitch because the chances come along far less frequently than if you play for a top 10 team.
I agree. He's lost confidence to beat a man and to finish, but playing in a better team he'd score goals.

London Irish said:
I think Leon's performance's on Saturday was so poor out wide that McGhee may be losing patience with him there too.
The problem is anyone can see he's the best player in this team, Coventry had two men on him all the time.

London Irish said:
I think McPhee has had it. McGhee very clear today that he had 3 strikers, Big Mac, Virgs and Leon.
Where did he say this?

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I think McPhee probably is off now, unless he pulls out something special - I assume he's out of contract at the end of the season? Although he often makes quite an impact off the bench, he never really produces the goods when given extended runs.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
I think McPhee probably is off now, unless he pulls out something special - I assume he's out of contract at the end of the season? Although he often makes quite an impact off the bench, he never really produces the goods when given extended runs.

I reckon he will be released in the summer and end up at Leyton Orient or Crawley.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:

He has at least another year to run, but I think he has 2 years left. We gave him quiet a long contract in about October 03.

I might be reading too much into this, but McGhee was analysing Saturday's game.

He correctly noted what many of us there thought, that Adebola and Benjamin changed the game from the bench in replacing the starting guys like Goater.

Then he said: "We don't really have that, so our strikers have to play well from the beginning and I think that can be the difference. We have 3 strikers in Leon, Virgs and Mark McCammon. Maybe I have to consider bringing one off the bench in order to try and change the momentum or change the game."

How does that sound to you? It reads to me 2 of them starting, one as impact on the bench.

With Leon about to have an enforced rest and Big Mac still maybe recovering from the virus, it makes sense to start Leon than putting him on the bench. But unless he does something a bit better than he did in the first half of the season, I reckon it'll be the bench for Leon for the rest of the season.

Could be a big game for him tonight.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Bluejuice said:
Absolute tosh.

Why do people even dignify this sort of obvious bullshit with a response?

What would Ipswich do with him?

At least make these transfer rumours believable

errmm ... remember Paul Brooker --> Leicester ;)

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Great move for Leon - he'd really have Bent and Kuqi out of the team in no time at all. :)

He is a shed load better than Kuqi .... it's all about service ... even Scott Ramsay would struggle NOT to shine in Ipswich's side

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Gritt23 said:
I wouldn't blame him one little bit. I can't think that we have ever had such a good player, who has had a debut season like he had last year, and yet managed to get the stick he's got.

Can't blame him for thinking, "Stuff this, I'll never win them over."

It would be a real shame if he goes, but as fans, we have pushed him to this.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:goal:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think he's good enopugh mentally of physically at Chamionship level, I don't like his style either, he hardly impressed last season, ok he scored a load of penalties.

there I've said it . . .I couldnt give a f*** if he stays or goes, he's a petulent little shit anyway, spend the wages on soeone else

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here