Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

the full harris said:
That wasn't my point, was it?

100% correct, it was my point.

Jonah got dragged off at Blackpool for, IMHO, his lack of workrate, where he left Harding to get mugged repeatedly. It's all about different roles in the team. Jonah has to run himself into the ground because without his workrate he is nothing. Leon has to stay sharp enough to respond to the chances that are created for him, chasing after every half-arsed ball punted in his direction would not acheive that aim. I'm not saying he always gets the balance right, far from it, but the criticism he gets from the stands is frequently disproportionate and scapegoat-seeking.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
London Irish said:
100% correct, it was my point.

Jonah got dragged off at Blackpool for, IMHO, his lack of workrate, where he left Harding to get mugged repeatedly. It's all about different roles in the team. Jonah has to run himself into the ground because without his workrate he is nothing. Leon has to stay sharp enough to respond to the chances that are created for him, chasing after every half-arsed ball punted in his direction would not acheive that aim. I'm not saying he always gets the balance right, far from it, but the criticism he gets from the stands is frequently disproportionate and scapegoat-seeking.

just watching donny today and must say blundell top goalscorer with about 18 goals chases everything and still manages to score. it helps he team a lot.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe some of the c..p that is being written about him.

He is 5ft f..k all and has no chance against two big centrall defenders you must play to your players strengths his is not out jumping the defenders so why do they keep pumping balls in the air for him.

I believe that the mistake MM made was taking him off and not just taking GH off and pushing 3 up front and going for it.

Our problem is that the deapth of our squad is appalling if the ones on the field cannot do it what option did we have NOTHING. There was nobody as good as those that were on the pitch or capable of doing anything better than those already on the pitch.

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
How much is Leon on each week, four, five grand, or more. What did he produce today? One half decent free kick in the 1st half and a quality flick on in the 2nd. Apart from that nothing much. He knew when he came here that he would be playing with 2nd Division standard players, so the argument about him only getting an attitude because of poor service doesn't really hold up.He's going to have to start working harder for himself and making things happen on his own. That's why he's on the most money, because he's quality and can make a goal out of nothing. 2nd Division midfielders produce 2nd Division service.
Also people watching from the sidelines sometimes see a game differently from what the players do on the pitch. So if Leon is brought off by McGee then he should realise that it is a decision that is being made for the good of the team, and that is what it's all about, making sure the team win regardless of whom is on the pitch at the time.
Playing at the Millenium Stadium in front of 65,000 fans should be a prospect that Leon should be relishing. It would be the perfect stage for him to show his talents, but if he doesn't change his attitude a bit quick it aint gonna happen.
:nono: :nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was standing in the car park waiting to be picked up when he went home and he was saying to the two blokes with him. What do they expect me to do when they keep hoisting high balls to me.

Play the ball through the defence or over the top and he will score; mishit it and the centre half has a field day and looks good as per today

Indefatigable

Mar 23, 2004
Fair point BensGrandad, but one way he does get service is from Iwelumo. He needs to be anticipating the knock-ons but he does not look interested. I agree with you that he should not have been subbed, and the srvice he gets is woeful, but he does need to make the most of what he does get.

poke

Oct 19, 2003
i dont think leon knight shoud have been substituted as we were looking for the winning goal.

but i think he has been lazy if the ball isn't at his feet he doesn't seem as tho he tries.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
poke said:
i dont think leon knight shoud have been substituted as we were looking for the winning goal.

but i think he has been lazy if the ball isn't at his feet he doesn't seem as tho he tries.

I think both Iweloooooooomo and kniiiiiiiiiight should have been takrn off and Viiiiiiiiiiirgo should have been put up front with El - Abd.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He's in danger of catching that well known disease " small man syndrome ". Every small man I have ever known has been a complete tosser with a crap attitude to make up for their vertically challenged frame.

Leon your good but you aint that good me old son.

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
I can't believe the bashing Leon is taking.

I couldn't fault his performace. He created opportunities for others, himself and in the first half he was chasing back into his own half after the ball.

As the game wore on he didn't make so much effort as didn't the rest of the team.

It didn't work out for Leon Yesterday, what footballer doesn't have days like these. It seems to me that Leon is taking the rap for a very poor team performance.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm getting increasingly fed up with the criticism that Leon Knight is taking. Let's remind ourselves of a few key facts.

1. He is the top scorer in the Nationwide league.
2. Without his goals we would, at best, be in a mid to low table position.
3. Most other clubs in the division would probably bite our hands off if he became available for transfer.
4. He is only just over 5 feet tall.
5. No class striker would chase balls that are hoofed in the air for 90 mins. They would expect "some" degree of service from the midfield.

If we want Leon to leave the club, or to go through the motions in each game he plays, all McGhee and many others need to do is carry on carping like they have been. I'm convinced though that we would be a poorer side without him. How Leon must now wish that he had joined QPR.

:angry:

Oh, and by the way, can anyone tell me exactly what Chris Iwelumo did for the side yesterday? Did he do enough to justify not be substituted? Or does the sun simply shine out of his proverbial?

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whilst I accept that Leon had a quiet game yesterday the service he got was poor. He's a striker (and that the scoring charts show a bloody good one) not a ball winning midfield player.

His best bet is to grow webbed feat so that he can walk on water as so many people think he should.

Did Bobby Zamora play at his best every game ?

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
Oh, and by the way, can anyone tell me exactly what Chris Iwelumo did for the side yesterday? Did he do enough to justify not be substituted? Or does the sun simply shine out of his proverbial?

I agree Iwelumo was twice as ineffective as Knight. We lumped balls up to him for the full ninety minutes and he chased and battled back after nothing as far as I could see, which is exactly what Leon is being criticised for.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Zebedee said:

Absolutely spot on. Once Rushden had worked out our only tactic of hoofing it at Big Chris he was virtually out of the game, especially in the second half. It must have been very frustrating for Leon to see someone warming up (Piercy) who might actually give him some decent service only to be taken off as Piercy comes on. Leon may look disinterested at times but he is there to score goals and does it better than anyone else in the division.

As for the earlier poster who said 'Ward=legend, Leon=lazy' you obviously never saw Wardy play. I must have seen just about every home game Ward ever played but he never tracked back or chased defenders down. Yet twice yesterday, Leon lost the ball and chased the guy back into our half winning a throw-in in the process.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Jason Speaks said:
I can't believe the bashing Leon is taking.

I couldn't fault his performace. He created opportunities for others, himself and in the first half he was chasing back into his own half after the ball.

As the game wore on he didn't make so much effort as didn't the rest of the team.

It didn't work out for Leon Yesterday, what footballer doesn't have days like these. It seems to me that Leon is taking the rap for a very poor team performance.

Couldn't fault him? I was at Blackpool and Withdean this weekend and he looked as though he would rather have been somewhere else. And it's not the first time this season he's been like it. In recent weeks he's been less than inspirational.

Leading scorer he may be but he does need to work harder. I don't buy this "He's not there to chase the ball nonsense". He is a professional footballer. Professional footballers earn their living by chasing a football. It's what they do. If a footballer doesn't like running or chasing a football he has made a very interesting career choice. In a Div 2 team you are surrounded by players of limited abilities but usually shed loads of commitment. Commitment from Leon wouldn't go amiss in games where some inspiration is needed. 2 games over the weekend were crying out for an inspired performance and we got what?

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
The 'best striker in the division' has only scored 6 goals from open play since the 1st of November - he deserves to be on the bench!
wcnige

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Did Big Chris throw his toys out of the pram when he was substitued recently. I dont think so. Grow up Leon and put more effort in on the field.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
plymouth nige said:
The 'best striker in the division' has only scored 6 goals from open play since the 1st of November - he deserves to be on the bench!
wcnige

Careful Nige...you'll be stoned for blasphemy with comments like that:lolol:

BALDISBEAUTIFUL

Apr 4, 2004
Brighton
Apparently he had an attitude problem when he was at Chelsea. Not suprised he was substituted, but he wasn't any worse than some other players.
Did'nt work hard enough for me.
But would he have scored in the dying seconds had he'd been in the position Piercy was !!
Looking at the Blackpool goals on Seagulls World, surprised the back four weren't substituted.
Looking on the positive side, were the only team out of the 3 who came down, that has done anything this season. Just think Nicky Law could be back in the 3rd division !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here