Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When will people realise that Leon is NOT in the team to chase thankless balls but to put the ones he reciev es in the net which he does quite well.

I remember going to White Hart Lane some years ago to see Spurs v West Ham, my mate, a hammers fan , kept on about that 'lazy Jimmy Greaves dont ever run' Spurs won 3 - 0. Greaves got a hattrick in the last 8 minutes but he did nothing for 82 mins. If only Leon could have got 1 on Monday we would now be virtually assured of a play off place. Leave the man alone and get behind him on Saturday

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
it is very fustrating to watch this man play he has so much talent and ability to win balls and score.

Yes he has scored 21 goals but think of how many more he could of scored if he played for the full 90 mins

Which has been said that zamora was the same yes i have seen him like that against the third div teams who kick him off the pitch.

Leon needs to grow up and relise if he wants top flight he has got to have the right attitude he has been brilliant in some games but other games he has just shown sparks to his defence he worked well with benji who played at his level and the style we play does not suit him fully but we need to play this style to get out.

I want him to stay he is not a waster he is immature he can not channel his angry the way he did at Hillsbrough.

He must channel it the way he did at home against wedneday two goals.

he is the jewel in the crown just needs polishing buy a good manager. MM is a strong character he can do it and god forbid we dont go up then next season he must lead us to that div 1

He wants to do well but must try harder

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
BensGrandad said:
When will people realise that Leon is NOT in the team to chase thankless balls but to put the ones he reciev es in the net which he does quite well.

6 goals in open play since November would suggest otherwise.

GREAT strikers/forwards work hard. Ian Rush anybody? Always put defenders and midfielders under pressure, not by trying to tackle them but by harrassing them into hurried passes. He'd also chase back if somebody took the ball from him and never ever went AWOL during games (until his career was near its natural end)

Shearer is similar, Owen too, Solskjaer, shit, the list is massive. Leon has a natural talent and was likened to Zola by Zola himself-obvious difference being that Zola worked tirelessly.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
BensGrandad said:

I remember going to White Hart Lane some years ago to see Spurs v West Ham, my mate, a hammers fan , kept on about that 'lazy Jimmy Greaves dont ever run' Spurs won 3 - 0. Greaves got a hattrick in the last 8 minutes but he did nothing for 82 mins. If only Leon could have got 1 on Monday we would now be virtually assured of a play off place. Leave the man alone and get behind him on Saturday

i do like your point there. very well said. but it is more exciting to watch a player chase the game a bit more. but as you say if he concentrates on scoring fine. also like bwians point more though.

Last edited:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Their is clearly a conflict between Knight and McGhee. Knights displeasure seems to be about our style of play and his frustration with the sheer number of high balls. McGhees case is obviously that Knight should chase balls that are on his radar and pick-up the second ball from big Chris. Not just give up and kick stones around the pitch if things don't fall his way inch perfectly or the ref doesn't accept his every whinge as Gods own truth.

Only one of these men is the manager and his already had a word with Leon recently. All the more disturbing to see bottles flying in that way as that is simply an unsettling display of ill discipline and should not be ignored. For chrissakes we are a Div 2 side with Div 2 midfielders who could not create a disturbance at times, much less create endless incisive, defence splitting, balls to Leons feet. Leon must come to terms with that and act accordingly.

I'd rather have him than not have him though. God bless his goals and I think he could play Div 1 football and be a success with Div 1 service through midfield.

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
He certainly is an enigma. I remeber Bobby's sulks last season also but I think they were more understandable ie; we were going down, he felt trapped and frustrated. Knight has the chance to help us to get promotion and hence step up to Division 1 football and attract the attention that goes with that. Why he shows such petulance in these circumstances is baffling. He has, by all accounts, behaved like this at every club he has been at which would suggest the problem is his rather than McGhee's.

Bwian said:
6 goals in open play since November would suggest otherwise.

So that makes him our leading scorer in open play since November, despite the style of football adopted by McGhee not suiting his talents.

Our play is now directed at our big target-man, whether that was the more skilful Trev or the more taller Big Chris. Leon's scoring opportunities will now be less with the "semi" long ball game than under Coppell's greater insistence on passing football, which gave Leon most of his goals.

That's not a big problem for us, because Big Trev did score and Big Chris will score.

On Monday, I only noticed one occasion where Leon didn't chase a ball that he could have put realistic pressure on the defender, towards the end of the first half when Chris won a header.

It was wrong for him not to do so, but it must be dispiriting for this young player schooled in passing football to be continually having to guess which way the ball is going to accidently bounce off Big Chris. But that's no excuse, and I'm confident that McGhee will manage this young player well.

A strange thread from 2004 where Repugnant Toad is laying into Leon Knight for his workrate and I'm defending said player :jester: :lolol:

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Too much bouncing. :bounce: :(

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
London Irish said:
A strange thread from 2004 where Repugnant Toad is laying into Leon Knight for his workrate and I'm defending said player :jester: :lolol:

Oiiirish you really must find a woman/man

x

dwayne said:
Oiiirish you really must find a woman/man

x

If that's an offer, I'm not interested :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here