Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester Bid £3 /£5/£7.5 million for Ulloa

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If TB pulls it off, then that would be remarkable.
That almost suggests he's wanting to sell him. I think the answer is clear - we don't want to sell and we don't need to sell, so we're not selling. And that's all I want.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
10m is not a fantasy, it's a starting point..... You don't tell anyone what you would settle for......

Geez dude.....

Your right though we should get about 7-8m for the big fella

I agree and hope we can get 10M or even more but 6-8M seems more realistic.... just hope that if he does go it doesn't drag on and gives us time to find able replacements

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
On the Foxes message board they seem to think this is an unsettling bid and are banking on Ulloa handing in a transfer request & getting him for a fair price..... Now that would change things

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
On the Foxes message board they seem to think this is an unsettling bid and are banking on Ulloa handing in a transfer request & getting him for a fair price..... Now that would change things

Doubt it would change TB's mind on Ulloa's true value to us. We aren't going to give him away and LCFC will soon decide to look elsewhere I reckon. I think our strong rebuttal shows that we won't weaken our squad further prior to the new manager coming on board. Also, If Leo was unsettled we could always offer him a new contract like we did with Buckers etc. We've let certain high earners go which gives the new guy plenty of scope in the transfer market, but I just can't see that we would let Leo go unless the bid was silly money...eg £8-£10m.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not a great comparison as Ulloa isn't pacey. Neither Sturridge nor Long can attack the ball in the air like Ulloa or defend set pieces as effectively as him. He's also played at the top level in Spain. As per a previous post I will offer up Gayle of Palace, not even Championship proven for £5m and some of the French donkey's Arsenal have bought over the years...... Chamakh (£14m)

Whilst I think £10m is over the top, if we can get it why not? However, that does leave us in the unenviable position of trying to replace him.

Sturridge scores plenty with his head.

Agree that Chamakh is a donkey, but he was acquired on a free transfer, not £14m. Are you thinking of Wiltord £13m or Giroud £10m?

Ulloa - we will soon find out what the market decides his fee to be. With the season being a few weeks old, Ulloa's abilities are being rewritten through blue-tinted specs into a great player and striker. Watching actual games as the season unfolded, fans in the WSU seemed resigned to slow predictable attacking play, with a slow/immobile Ulloa part of the problem, Ulloa losing all battles with defenders for balls played up & wasting his energies bickering with officials.

We will then see what he's like in the PL against even better defenders. Perhaps the much-enhanced pay packet, and work with a sports psychologist, will give the 28 year old a yard more of pace and the message to channel all his energies into his play?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Doubt it would change TB's mind on Ulloa's true value to us. We aren't going to give him away and LCFC will soon decide to look elsewhere I reckon. I think our strong rebuttal shows that we won't weaken our squad further prior to the new manager coming on board. Also, If Leo was unsettled we could always offer him a new contract like we did with Buckers etc. We've let certain high earners go which gives the new guy plenty of scope in the transfer market, but I just can't see that we would let Leo go unless the bid was silly money...eg £8-£10m.

Can't see why Leicester aren't going for Zamora as a cheaper option in terms of fee if they're balking at circa £7m for Ulloa. They'll know that with his contract duration and the likes of Jay Rod and Gayle going for £8m from Championship sides they'll have to pay that to get him.

Given that they've declared some sort of quest to get into the top six almost immediately why even bother looking at the likes of Ulloa; surely they'll be bidding for players like Wellbeck or better.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Not a great comparison as Ulloa isn't pacey. Neither Sturridge nor Long can attack the ball in the air like Ulloa or defend set pieces as effectively as him. He's also played at the top level in Spain. As per a previous post I will offer up Gayle of Palace, not even Championship proven for £5m and some of the French donkey's Arsenal have bought over the years...... Chamakh (£14m)

Whilst I think £10m is over the top, if we can get it why not? However, that does leave us in the unenviable position of trying to replace him.

You are not seriously comparing Ulloa with Sturridge in any way apart from the fact that they play up front are you?

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
I remember Alan Mullery said that at the end of each season, especially after promotion, they would sit down and talk about the best players they had played against. The stand out signing was Mark Lawrenson from Preston. It's a system that can still work and I can imagine Leicester have said "Who was the best centre forward we faced this season?"
We should look at this as a compliment, other clubs coveting our players. We all do it and our club saying,"Yeah, you can have him for 10 million," is our way of saying we don't have to sell but if you want to offer stupid money we'll think about it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
According to the Argus today (Wednesday), Leicester have so far made THREE bids for Ulloa. They seem to be pretty keen.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They need to stop messing about and meet Tony's 10 million asking price if they want him.

Our problem is that selling Ulloa probably guarantees no chance of promotion next year.

Is 10 million way too low ??!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ulloa - we will soon find out what the market decides his fee to be. With the season being a few weeks old, Ulloa's abilities are being rewritten through blue-tinted specs into a great player and striker. Watching actual games as the season unfolded, fans in the WSU seemed resigned to slow predictable attacking play, with a slow/immobile Ulloa part of the problem, Ulloa losing all battles with defenders for balls played up & wasting his energies bickering with officials.

We will then see what he's like in the PL against even better defenders. Perhaps the much-enhanced pay packet, and work with a sports psychologist, will give the 28 year old a yard more of pace and the message to channel all his energies into his play?

I tend to agree with this and if we can get 7 million and TB will allow most of it to be added to whatever the war chest is, I wouldn't be too unhappy. If the funds were to go to cover the losses and we are going to rely on loanees and lower league gambles I'd be gutted.

If however he stays and the new manager can inspire him to stop whinging and give him more support on the pitch then he could be the player that I thought he was when we first signed him. Remember how difficult it was and how long it took to get a decent striker once Murray was allowed to walk? A good reason to hold out for a ridiculous bid, although if Ulloa follows Bennett and Bridcutt in asking for a transfer, we're not gonna have too many options.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I'm guessing that we don't want to sell Ulloa, so the price tag of near £10m we have placed on him is what we consider stupid money. With this in mind I hope we hold out till either they give up or they offer the near £10m. I get the impression Leicester want to get their transfers done nice and early, so this could be sorted out soon.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I tend to agree with this and if we can get 7 million and TB will allow most of it to be added to whatever the war chest is, I wouldn't be too unhappy. If the funds were to go to cover the losses and we are going to rely on loanees and lower league gambles I'd be gutted.

If however he stays and the new manager can inspire him to stop whinging and give him more support on the pitch then he could be the player that I thought he was when we first signed him. Remember how difficult it was and how long it took to get a decent striker once Murray was allowed to walk? A good reason to hold out for a ridiculous bid, although if Ulloa follows Bennett and Bridcutt in asking for a transfer, we're not gonna have too many options.

All pretty fair.

I can't see much point keeping him if we aren't going to surround him with players who are capable of supplying and supporting him.

Perhaps more importantly it's every players ambition to play in the Prem and it will be difficult to deny him the opportunity and yet motivate him for another season in the Championship

Everyone is replaceable. Maybe the reason we spent so long getting (someone like) him was that Poyet had put his money on CMS/Hoskins/Barnes/Loanee to do the job??

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need to get enough money from the sale to cover the cost of signing Jordan Rhodes, and to have done this deal before letting Ulloa go.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You are not seriously comparing Ulloa with Sturridge in any way apart from the fact that they play up front are you?

No, try reading the previous post that I responded to..... :ffsparr:

My point is that they aren't comparable as Sturridge and Long's games are based on pace, Ulloa's is not. However, there are plenty of instances where players have been sold for inflated fee's.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sturridge scores plenty with his head.

Agree that Chamakh is a donkey, but he was acquired on a free transfer, not £14m. Are you thinking of Wiltord £13m or Giroud £10m?

I don't disagree with this at all, other than the number of headed goals by Sturridge. I don't have him as an aerial presence.

To be clear, I haven't said Ulloa will 'make it' in the premier league, just that £10m might not be as daft as you think, given what has preceded him in terms of fee's.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

If however he stays and the new manager can inspire him to stop whinging and give him more support on the pitch then he could be the player that I thought he was when we first signed him. Remember how difficult it was and how long it took to get a decent striker once Murray was shoved out the door? A good reason to hold out for a ridiculous bid, although if Ulloa follows Bennett and Bridcutt in asking for a transfer, we're not gonna have too many options.

Corrected for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here