Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds verdict may not be until end of season

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Setting aside any Albion aspirations, let's look at a possible (nay, a quite likely) timetable of events.

The published League Table after the matches on 3 May:-

1 Swansea
2 Carlisle
3 Doncaster
4 Forest
5 Southend
6 Leeds

Playoff games are arranged

Weekend of 10 May
Leeds v Doncaster
Southend v Forest

Midweek around 14 May
Doncaster v Leeds
Forest v Southend

Doncaster and Forest qualify for the final

19 May
Leeds get their 15 points back and get automatic promotion, having failed to get to Wembley

Carlisle are denied the opportunity to win promotion through the playoffs

What happens next?

Option 1:- Promote Swansea, Leeds and Carlisle?

Option 2:- Promote Swansea, Leeds and the winner of the Wembley game?

If Option 1 is selected, who thinks it is a BRILLIANT idea to assemble 80,000 aggrieved Doncaster and Forest fans at Wembley stadium on 25 May?

If Option 2 is selected, presumably the FL will write a nice letter to Carlisle, thanking them for their interest this season and wishing them better luck next year.

That, Ed, sums the fiasco up rather nicely.

Postpone the play-offs?

What? And have four teams of clapped out players who've lost their match fitness and been called back from their family holidays decide how the season will finish?

I guess it makes sense to the men in suits.

What if they go up regardless of them getting the points back?

Now you may say well it doesn't matter but I'm sure this legal action is costing them a pretty penny AND I'm sure the prize money for the league is worked out on where you finish. They will want some sort of recompense surely?

They can't have a 5, 10, 15 point head start in a higher division

I suspect this is key to 'the plan'. They are hoping that Leeds get promoted anyway and then it doesn't matter.

Prize money for the league is not done on a place-by-place basis. In the wake of the ITV Digital fiasco, the clubs decided that they would prefer to budget based on a guaranteed income shared equally between the 24 teams in each league, rather than have end of season income dependent upon where you finish.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Another scenario (if the table, playoff finals playout like LB says)

To keep everyone happy they allow 4 teams to get promoted from this division.

But what happens the season after that ? Do they attempt to get the two respective leagues back to their normal numbers.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Like if they got awarded £100,000 they'd get in to Ken Bates terms, £1000 ? Seems reasonable to me.

By far the best solution :clap2:

All Bates seems to be interested in, is the money :salute:

This could go on for months with appeals, claims and counter-claims, and any solution would be very very hard to implenment. Or, they could make the 2007-08 League One Season void :eek:

What a complete shambles this is :thud:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how about they get their 15 points back but the other clubs put forward a motion to expel Leeds from the League. so they are recorded as League1 winners but it has zero effect on everyone else, an extra club comes up from L2 and so on.

The League just like any other group or club can make up their rules as they go along as long as it by majortiy agreement (or whatever their qurom is). thats why i really dont get this "illegal" aspect, its nothing to do with whats lawfull or not.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is quite obvious that they are waiting to see the lie of the league positionsings before making a decision on the matter.

I feel hatred for Bates (and Leeds) which grows almost daily.

Leeds have cried blue murder ever since they were deducted 15 points. The FL in the end, bowed to the pressure from Ken Bates when they didn't have to hand them their golden share. They have ripped innocent parties off for well over 5 years, when the troubles they faced were entirely self-inflicted. Virtually moments after they struck a deal to give everyone 11p in £1 (including charities) they then went and signed a whole new team on 'undisclosed' fees...!

The board/fans etc. complained about fellow chairmen voting against them, effectively against mismanagement, which got them into this hole in the first place. How does that work? Surely a stand against this sort of mismanagement should be made!

I love the way Ken Bates manages to blame everyone for the predicament, but himself. A remarkable amount of cretins seem to swallow his vitriolic bile and do not realise that he is only in this for himself. He made millions from a small investment in Chelsea and the £ signs flashed up again when Leeds were stumbling.

You even get the deluded that say there would be no Leeds without Ken Bates. Whilst that sentiment is not true (there would have been other buyers) we will never know as Ken Bates played it perfectly to ensure that Leeds were sold back to him.

They then had that email campaign claming that they would boycott food/merchandise of the home teams, a financial squeeze, but then boast about filling the home stands with fans.....Eh?

Leeds have never been in danger of going out of business, despite the frenzy from fans and media. There were always going to be suitors waiting until the last minute to get the best deal. 'Uncle' Ken in this instance. So 15 points.... not much in the grander scheme of things. It may or may not mean that they spend another season in League One, but worse could have happened! Try talking to fans that have actually lost their clubs (Scarborough, Wimbledon etc.).

At the end of the day, it was a very good result for Leeds. Their future was assured and they are a much more saleable asset and in five years they will probably be back in the top flight, resuming their rivalry with teams that put up with their odious antics. We are told that Leeds are not staying in this league and it means nothing to them, yet have fans galore crowing over how good they are and how they have made League One. Perhaps it makes them feel a bit better - Swapping Old Trafford or Camp Nou for Withdean or Whaddon Road must be hard to take.

I am astounded at the way a large proportion of their fans are laying the blame at the door of the HMRC. If the Leeds fans were so concerned about the HMRC trying to destroy a club, then why are they not going out all guns blazing to show support for Rotherham?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Leeds United might have to wait until the end of the season to find out if their appeal against their 15-point penalty has been successful.

Translation: Total cop out. "Lets wait until final league placings are sorted before we decide what to do."

Leeds are likely to finish in top 6, so will make the play offs regardless of any points being given back.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It is quite obvious that they are waiting to see the lie of the league positionsings before making a decision on the matter.

I feel hatred for Bates (and Leeds) which grows almost daily.

Leeds have cried blue murder ever since they were deducted 15 points. The FL in the end, bowed to the pressure from Ken Bates when they didn't have to hand them their golden share. They have ripped innocent parties off for well over 5 years, when the troubles they faced were entirely self-inflicted. Virtually moments after they struck a deal to give everyone 11p in £1 (including charities) they then went and signed a whole new team on 'undisclosed' fees...!

The board/fans etc. complained about fellow chairmen voting against them, effectively against mismanagement, which got them into this hole in the first place. How does that work? Surely a stand against this sort of mismanagement should be made!

I love the way Ken Bates manages to blame everyone for the predicament, but himself. A remarkable amount of cretins seem to swallow his vitriolic bile and do not realise that he is only in this for himself. He made millions from a small investment in Chelsea and the £ signs flashed up again when Leeds were stumbling.

You even get the deluded that say there would be no Leeds without Ken Bates. Whilst that sentiment is not true (there would have been other buyers) we will never know as Ken Bates played it perfectly to ensure that Leeds were sold back to him.

They then had that email campaign claming that they would boycott food/merchandise of the home teams, a financial squeeze, but then boast about filling the home stands with fans.....Eh?

Leeds have never been in danger of going out of business, despite the frenzy from fans and media. There were always going to be suitors waiting until the last minute to get the best deal. 'Uncle' Ken in this instance. So 15 points.... not much in the grander scheme of things. It may or may not mean that they spend another season in League One, but worse could have happened! Try talking to fans that have actually lost their clubs (Scarborough, Wimbledon etc.).

At the end of the day, it was a very good result for Leeds. Their future was assured and they are a much more saleable asset and in five years they will probably be back in the top flight, resuming their rivalry with teams that put up with their odious antics. We are told that Leeds are not staying in this league and it means nothing to them, yet have fans galore crowing over how good they are and how they have made League One. Perhaps it makes them feel a bit better - Swapping Old Trafford or Camp Nou for Withdean or Whaddon Road must be hard to take.

I am astounded at the way a large proportion of their fans are laying the blame at the door of the HMRC. If the Leeds fans were so concerned about the HMRC trying to destroy a club, then why are they not going out all guns blazing to show support for Rotherham?

Hear Hear.

I would like to underline that excellent analysis by saying that Leeds can disappear up their own arses as far as I am concerned.

Have you READ what those idiots post everytime one of the Nationals does a story they can comment on? I have yet to see one who has had the good grace to admit that Leeds are in a situation entirely of their own making and therefore deserving of whatever punishment the League dishes out.

No humility, no care for the other clubs they are walking all over with their absurd challenge. Utter shite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know whats going to happen. I do.

Leeds will not get their 15 points back. They will finish in the Playoffs. The Football League will then absolutely ENSURE that Leeds get promoted via the Playoffs, and they will do this by giving their referees specific instructions to award Leeds everything, and the opposition nothing. Dodgy pens abound, opposition reduced to 8 or 9, howls of protest but just a helpless shrug from the authorities.

Once Leeds are promoted, other than some hard luck grievences over the refereeing (par for the course most weeks anyway), the whole problem just melts blissfully away.

You saw it here first.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I know whats going to happen. I do.

Leeds will not get their 15 points back. They will finish in the Playoffs. The Football League will then absolutely ENSURE that Leeds get promoted via the Playoffs, and they will do this by giving their referees specific instructions to award Leeds everything, and the opposition nothing. Dodgy pens abound, opposition reduced to 8 or 9, howls of protest but just a helpless shrug from the authorities.

Once Leeds are promoted, other than some hard luck grievences over the refereeing (par for the course most weeks anyway), the whole problem just melts blissfully away.

You saw it here first.
all ending with dougie ramming the trophy up mawhinney's arse at full time

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
the football league must really hope leeds dont f*** it up and end up finishing in the play off spots

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here