Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds to get 5 point back

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Us, Carlisle, Doncaster, Southend, Tranmere, Orient and Oldham will see them in court then.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
NSC is full of rumours, that’s its nature, so don’t blame you for disbelieving. It’s entirely your own prerogative but surely those who ridicule should know by now that you can’t name a reliable source or that’s the last you’ll ever hear from them / you get people, even extremely well connected ones at Leeds, into serious trouble? None of you will have heard of my source anyway, none of you would believe it even if Ken Bates had given me a world exclusive (he hasn’t). But I know this source is reliable so firmly believe Leeds are getting 5 points back before the end of the season. Deal’s been struck. If wouldn’t have bothered calling me out of the blue otherwise given he knows I’m an Albion fan. Not going to do anymore defending myself on this matter. Just thought I’d share this news. That’s all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well if does turn out to be true, then it will be thoroughly UNFAIR, and I for one, will be banging my fists and shouting in protest.

That'll show 'em.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If it turns out to be true I hope all the other league clubs get together and take the FL to court.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I don't think the FL would do this at such a vital point in the season.

Leeds shouldn't be allowed to call the shots when it suits, and if they even get ONE point back there should be uproar from every club and their supporters.

Leeds scum, trying to cheat their way into the playoffs! :rant:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So you know before the High Court judge has made his ruling in the arbitration hearing on April 14th?

High Court judge?

Leeds United's attempt to overturn the Football League's 15-point penalty comes to arbitration on April 14 and the composition of the panel that will sit in judgment raises some intriguing questions.

The three-man panel will be headed by Sir Philip Otton, an experienced football arbitrator whose judgments have been some of the most controversial in English football history. Otton chaired the Premier League's proceedings against Ashley Cole, Jose Mourinho and Chelsea which led to £600,000 in fines being handed down for tapping-up, a sum reduced on appeal.

Otton was later accused by Sheffield United of having made an "error in law" for not ordering a fresh hearing of the Carlos Tevez third-party-ownership case, although he felt the Premier League should have docked points from West Ham United.

But, if the Leeds chairman, Ken Bates, comes to ask his former manager Dennis Wise (to one of whose children Bates is godfather), he might consider Otton to be a safe pair of hands. The former court of appeals judge was, after all, one of the three disciplinary commissioners who ordered Leicester City to reinstate Wise and merely fine him two weeks' wages after the club had terminated his contract for breaking Callum Davidson's jaw.

Joining Otton is Peter Cadman, who has also chaired past Premier League disciplinary commissions. But Leeds may be concerned about the involvement of Peter Leaver, the former Premier League chief executive.

Leaver was sacked by the clubs for awarding the former BSkyB executives Sam Chisholm and David Chance lucrative consultancy contracts without first asking his paymasters' permission. Bates's close friend, Sir Dave Richards, succeeded him. Writing in a newspaper column at the time Bates said Leaver had left the league in a "mess".

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
IF the FL give the points back at this stage of the season it will cause carnage.

I CAN'T see them backing down or the chairman will be forced to RESIGN and i can't see him being that stupid?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
High Court writ - Court of Appeal Judge.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Leeds United | Lawyer rates Leeds' points battle

Edited to say look at the third paragraph from the bottom.

I suppose it depends which media report you read.

No it doesn't. That BBC report was dated 14th March and the bloke says:

"It's a tough one for the arbitration panel. I think where Leeds have got some comfort is that it's my understanding that the three-man panel is chaired by a very senior High Court judge or a Court of Appeal judge, so there's going to be some sanity to the arbitration proceedings and I think they will apply a legalistic approach to them."

As you are very keen to point out yourself, he doesn't state that the panel WILL be chaired by a High Court judge (or Court of Appeal judge) but that he understands it will. Big difference, no?

Especially, with the benefit of hindsight, as my quote is from the 1st April which IS the actual panel, not someone's guess at it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If it turns out to be true I hope all the other league clubs get together and take the FL to court.

If the Boards of directors, of all the Football league Clubs had any sense, they should have started their "get together" at the same time Leeds lodged their appeal. As usual, they have stuck their heads up their arses, and if Leeds do get their points back, no club, on their own, will be able to challenge this in court.
Scummy Bates knows this too well...........and the arseholes who are supporting this action.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not surprised if true.

Arbitration (I think) differs from litigation in that the parties are actually there to negotiate.

So if both parties go in with the basis of a resolution, I presume the panel will simply rubber stamp it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyway, that's all by the by. It looks increasingly likely that Leeds will get some points back and that some looks like being 5. The FL retain some face and Leeds get improved hopes of promotion. Everyone is a winner!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sir Philip Otton - former Court of Appeal judge.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

On what basis ? - if 5 points are given back, what law have the league broken ?

Unfortunately within the league rules there doesn't seem to be any basis for the 15 point reduction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here