Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leeds lining up their Ben White replacement

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Aren't two of Leeds three most regular starters this season both Loanees ? White and Harrison

Imagine what our first season in the Premier would have been like, if we had to replace Dunk and Murray before we started the first game :facepalm:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Aren't two of Leeds three most regular starters this season both Loanees ? White and Harrison
jackie harrison has a buy option for just under £8m as part of the loan agreement, the deal is done if bielsa wants him, harrison has already said he plans on staying.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Exactly. People use Wolves as a measure but they spent a lot of money before promotion and a lot more when in the Premier League. They were brilliant in the Championship.

Sheffield United have had an amazing season but Villa and Norwich have struggled massively. Leeds are going to have to spend big to compete and will need to get in one or two good strikers if they are going to do half as well as their fans think. Even then, there is no guarantee

The teams who have been better than Leeds this season, when they were promoted from the Championship, off the top of my head. Wolves,us, Newcastle, Fulham, Norwich, Sheffield United.all except Norwich and Fulham have stayed up with Wolves being the only team to really push on.
Norwich spent nothing , comparatively,and it's no surprise they are going down, Fulham broke the bank to produce a disjointed team that immediately struggled. The teams that spent conservativly have survived.
The jury is out on Sheffield United, next season will be tough for them,. Leeds have to upgrade too many players next season, for them to be the next Wolves.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The Mings reference was more a pointer to his price last summer but a player who will most certainly move if Villa drop.

Pretty sure if Bloom accepts White will be sold, he'll be getting the best deal he can for the club no matter who offers.

Interesting that you would view us a relegation rival, especially given how well Wolves and Sheff Utd have done on promotion. It's something of course we have debated on our forums. We have been far and away the best footballing team at this level two years running but are very much aware of how big that gulf is. Half of our squad were, for want of a better word, journeymen Championship players, but by god Bielsa gets them to play like top end PL players. Then you have the QSI factor.

One thing is however known, Bielsa will not change his philosophy. We will press and attack every opponent, so I guess it's going to be a ride and a half.

If he has your players playing like top end PL players how come you are still not promoted yet in what’s considered the poorest championship for several seasons. And tracking to finish with a points tally that wouldn’t have got you promoted in the last 3/4 seasons.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Evening Chaps. Here is the Ben white story from our side.

The facts as Ben White no doubt sees it: whilst on loan at Leeds, he has become a high profile Championship player (we are on TV enough), talked of as a Liverpool target. He has played every game, and played bloody well, and is obviously highly regarded by a world renowned coach. We could speculate that he has become attached to the club - being first choice and happy are powerful points; don't we all think strongly about our first love? He may well be in awe of Bielsa. Crumbs, our whole fan base are, and rightly so. He is no doubt pretty happy and enjoying his football and I'd expect not as many professionals get to experience that as often as we'd imagine.

My club: hard to understand Leeds unless you follow them really. It's a big city and every surrounding town in North, West and East Yorkshire is part of the catchment.You could speculate the population in that catchment isn't far off 2 million. There is the ongoing overseas connection still present from the past, the huge website hits and that big following. We toured in Australia last summer and had a 5K following from down under. Why is that relevant? The club has the feel of a top ten club and the pressure is that of a top ten club. Forget our 16 year absence, the club remains big news. If you can handle playing at Leeds, it's a great pointer to your mental ability to handle that sort of step up. It's quite an addictive all embracing environment and every club hates us; they really do. Most have forum threads about us and the phrase 'cup final' springs to mind when we come to town. Most raise their game against us. It all adds to the sense that this is a a special place and a siege mentality and close knit squad is a result.

What do we know? The club are surprisingly close knit, extremely well run and very few leaks get out now. Ben White is very close to a couple of the players: Roberts and Phillips. We are given the impression by those who write about the club that he would be open to a deal. Leeds have been looking at alternatives but have not written off signing White. Nowadays you know from agents if a player is interested prior to bidding and you discourage links if they aren't going to happen. As we know, player power is dominant now. If Ben White wants to leave, he will leave Brighton. Most of our mob thinks you won't be able to keep hold of him - I think you are safe from relegation so that is not an issue - but that we don't have a chance if Liverpool come sniffing. I'd ponder on whether he would play regularly for them? No of course he wouldn't. He can become an outstanding ball playing defender but . . . has no PL experience and isn't a strong defender or aerially dominant. The way Leeds play hasn't allowed him to be exposed to those weaknesses. It could be there is a rule that says new PL signings cannot be loaned, which means White would go from a regular to a squad player. He has no doubt jumped up a level and would be a 50K a week footballer on a new contract. There is a final small factor that very few outside of Leeds see to know. QSI - the owners of PSG - are going to invest in us following promotion. To what extent and how that works is open to debate. We've heard that they are not happy with how things went in France and want to do things differently BUT with KSA close to buying Newcastle and the UAE already at City, you can imagine how driven their motivations will be.

So Ben White. Lovely player. Been a joy to behold. Hardly put a foot wrong. Would love to have him here. Price? Hmm, could be corona affected but 20-25million (see Mings).

Regards

Albion certainly haven't seen Leeds as a cup final in the last ten years:

P 13 Won 8 Drawn 3 Lost 2 F 24 A 13

With regards to Ben White, the cards are held at this end. If he is wanted in the team he will come back and stay. If a top club decides to sign him at £30m it will be with a view to their starting XI. So really, I can only see that Leeds United would be in the mix and I can't see them spending that. The question is the shiny new contract that Brighton are doubtless working on. Note though, the highest Championship to EPL signing (without previous experience) is, I think, Webster last year to us. It's a huge step up.

Leeds United will enter the bottom half next year in a strong position, mainly down to management, so I don't expect them to go down.

But, taking your place upstairs is not an instant route back to the glory days as some Villa fans thought. The size of a club is relative to its finances and quality of scouting these days. In that sense your club is no bigger than ourselves now. But Leeds do have Bielsa as their major asset. They'll be fine next year.

A note about the new 'investors'. Leeds is a good brand to be associated with. But there are rules on losses nowadays. If £50m signings start arriving then expect the same consternation as PSG. Alternatively, Leeds could just do what we do and go raiding big clubs for unsettled youngsters at £3m who are actually ready for the big time :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If he's THAT good, then surely he should prove it in the PL. Therefore, loan him back to Leeds for another season (assuming he's not in Potter/Albion's plans for a regular first team spot) and then see where the land lies afterwards.

Don't forget that the Championship's best player from a couple of seasons ago is back there again – it's a huge step up and, while I'm not saying White can't make it, it's a risk. On the flip side, I wouldn't ship him out permanently just yet, because if he's got as much about him as some people suggest then, at the end of the 20/21 season, he could go for more money to a big club...

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
And no one's mentioned that Elland Road ranks somewhere between Fratton Park and Selhurst Park for facilities.

At least they will be able to save a few bob on architects fees for a shiny new stand by doing a deal for a photocopy or two from Palace.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

The facts as Ben White no doubt sees it: whilst on loan at Leeds, he has become a high profile Championship player (we are on TV enough), talked of as a Liverpool target. He has played every game, and played bloody well, and is obviously highly regarded by a world renowned coach. We could speculate that he has become attached to the club - being first choice and happy are powerful points; don't we all think strongly about our first love? He may well be in awe of Bielsa. Crumbs, our whole fan base are, and rightly so. He is no doubt pretty happy and enjoying his football and I'd expect not as many professionals get to experience that as often as we'd imagine.

My club: hard to understand Leeds unless you follow them really. It's a big city and every surrounding town in North, West and East Yorkshire is part of the catchment.You could speculate the population in that catchment isn't far off 2 million. There is the ongoing overseas connection still present from the past, the huge website hits and that big following. We toured in Australia last summer and had a 5K following from down under. Why is that relevant? The club has the feel of a top ten club and the pressure is that of a top ten club. Forget our 16 year absence, the club remains big news. If you can handle playing at Leeds, it's a great pointer to your mental ability to handle that sort of step up. It's quite an addictive all embracing environment and every club hates us; they really do. Most have forum threads about us and the phrase 'cup final' springs to mind when we come to town. Most raise their game against us. It all adds to the sense that this is a a special place and a siege mentality and close knit squad is a result.

What do we know? The club are surprisingly close knit, extremely well run and very few leaks get out now. Ben White is very close to a couple of the players: Roberts and Phillips. We are given the impression by those who write about the club that he would be open to a deal. Leeds have been looking at alternatives but have not written off signing White. Nowadays you know from agents if a player is interested prior to bidding and you discourage links if they aren't going to happen. As we know, player power is dominant now. If Ben White wants to leave, he will leave Brighton. Most of our mob thinks you won't be able to keep hold of him - I think you are safe from relegation so that is not an issue - but that we don't have a chance if Liverpool come sniffing. I'd ponder on whether he would play regularly for them? No of course he wouldn't. He can become an outstanding ball playing defender but . . . has no PL experience and isn't a strong defender or aerially dominant. The way Leeds play hasn't allowed him to be exposed to those weaknesses. It could be there is a rule that says new PL signings cannot be loaned, which means White would go from a regular to a squad player. He has no doubt jumped up a level and would be a 50K a week footballer on a new contract. There is a final small factor that very few outside of Leeds see to know. QSI - the owners of PSG - are going to invest in us following promotion. To what extent and how that works is open to debate. We've heard that they are not happy with how things went in France and want to do things differently BUT with KSA close to buying Newcastle and the UAE already at City, you can imagine how driven their motivations will be.

So Ben White. Lovely player. Been a joy to behold. Hardly put a foot wrong. Would love to have him here. Price? Hmm, could be corona affected but 20-25million (see Mings).

Regards

Thank you for confirming everything we already thought about most Leeds fans. Utter arrogance and delusion.

1. 90% of teams promoted to the PL face an almighty challenge just staying up. The gulf in class is HUGE. Yes you get the occasional outlier (Wolves, Sheff Utd) but they are the exception to the rule.

2. Ben White was not made in Leeds. Incredible you think his career has started since joining your lot. He was player of the year at Newport, he has been very carefully nurtured by our club to develop him into the player he is.

Don’t believe that? Then ask yourself why Bloom and Ashworth refused to add a purchase option to the loan deal. They clearly anticipated his progress.

And again. You vastly underestimate the gulf in quality. Ben White is not far off where Adam Webster was a season ago.

If Ben White wants to leave, he will leave Brighton. Most of our mob thinks you won't be able to keep hold of him - I think you are safe from relegation so that is not an issue - but that we don't have a chance if Liverpool come sniffing.

Words fail me.

I don’t think you get how transfers work old boy. It’s irrelevant what Liverpool do, we hold all the cards, and frankly it’s nothing to do with Leeds. You would do well to pay attention to Villas performance this season before getting carried away.

You’re welcome to have Matt Clark on loan next season to replace Ben White.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

fans-support-local-teams.png

I was born in Jimmy's and spent the first 10 years of my life within sight and earshot of Elland Road (actually just off Elland Road itself, up Churwell hill). Moving just a couple of miles further away into Kirklees (Birstall), most of my schoolfriends supported Huddersfield.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Regards

When Leeds have come to town in the recent past it's less of a cup final and more about how many we're going to stick past you. That's the reality of it, sorry.

It will be different next season as you will have a windfall to spend, assuming you spend it wisely. But even if you do, you will be in the same boat as us and many other clubs. Sometimes there are outliers, most recently Leicester (though they were exceptionally lucky to escape relegation in their first season), Wolves (largely because of a Chinese conglomerate paying Mendes to bring half the Porto team and managing staff with him) and Sheffield United who, other than being extremely rigid and disciplined, I haven't quite worked out how they are where they are. However, they are quite rare and on the balance of probability I will go out on a limb and suggest you WILL be in a dogfight next season, whereas there are many signs and indications that we might have our first season out of it. All speculation at this point of course.

You're historically a successful club which the media love to latch onto and perpetuate, but that means the sum total of **** all in the here and now - particularly to players. You also need to take into account that we don't sell our players, as much as you would be guilty of thinking that #teamslikebrighton couldn't possibly stand in the way of a player with a pathway to the mighty leeds, it will just not happen unless:

1) You meet our valuation which is likely to absorb a massive chunk of the aforementioned windfall - not smart business in my estimations for someone unproven at this level.
2) You meet the player/agent wage demands which are likely to now be substantial - not smart business either as there are rules (If you weren't aware) to curb your % increase in total wage bill upon promotion.
3) The player is willing/wanting to move - something which your fans seem certain of, whereas I remain unconvinced with the few whispers I've heard through club contacts.

Even still, you need to understand that we have a very astute and ambitious local owner/chairman. Many claim that all of the above were true in the case of Lewis Dunk - valuation matched, terms agreed and wanting a move. He's still here, and that was us resisting a club with CL aspirations armed with a 90M windfall to burn from a single player sale. So how any of your fans think that we won't resist a promoted club for a kid who's highly rated here with a set development path is utterly bewildering.

I mean, christ I have nothing against Leeds but take it down a peg or two and focus modestly on first remaining in the league that you have been absent from for so long, else you will just wind up being ridiculed as much as Villa fans are.

Last edited:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
haha who goes to a foorball ground for the facilities? it aint a prawn sandwich corporate jolly day out, it's grim up north and we like it even grimmer.

we've moved the away end to somewhere far more luxurious than the last time you visited en all. you'll be in for a treat.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
The development of Ben White is a slow burning project, cup games here and there, loans to incrementally bigger clubs and a burgeoning reputation, so quite why Leeds fans think we're going to abandon all the thought and planning when we are just about to benefit from it seems wilfully ignorant.
We won't sell to a relegation rival, and if White has a good season for us in the Premier League, we'll be in a position to sell him to a big club for 50/60M next summer.

It's almost like Brighton have a well thought out plan for their young players progression.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
No, you've got it completely wrong. Leeds won't be a relegation rival. They are going to win the league. And then the Champions League the next season

Hahahah you absolute fool, have you not heard? They are dong the treble next year, League title, FA Cup and/B] the Champions League. I have it on very good authority that because they are so massive, and everybody's cup final, UEFA have decided a special rule is needed to get Leeds in on year 1.

Can't wait for the reviews of 2020. It won't be about Coronavirus, or Liverpool winning the league, it'll be about Leeds just about managing promotion to the PL.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I don't think Leeds will go down, as long as they spend wisely (not scatter gun like Villa/Fulham did) then they should be fine. Probably around lower/mid table but at least it gives them a base to kick on from there.
He might need to tweak how they play as teams will quickly work out how to beat them. As for White he is unproven but it has been said many times that he is in our plans and Potter is keen to work with him. With that in mind he is not going anywhere unless stupid money is involved.

Should be a good league next season, WBA, Leeds and maybe Forest coming back up it'll be fun!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I regard Leeds in the same way as Sheffield Wednesday, a once famous club now living in the past. I’m convinced their supporters believe they’ll come in to the division and pick up where they left off, having rivalries with Man U and such like. Personally I think they’ll do well not to go straight back down. We’ll see.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hahahah you absolute fool, have you not heard? They are dong the treble next year, League title, FA Cup and/B] the Champions League. I have it on very good authority that because they are so massive, and everybody's cup final, UEFA have decided a special rule is needed to get Leeds in on year 1.

Can't wait for the reviews of 2020. It won't be about Coronavirus, or Liverpool winning the league, it'll be about Leeds just about managing promotion to the PL.

I apologise. You are absolutely right. Presumably their reserve team will be allowed to play in the Europa League too so they can play Leeds first team vs Leeds reserves in the European Super Cup the following season

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I apologise. You are absolutely right. Presumably their reserve team will be allowed to play in the Europa League too so they can play Leeds first team vs Leeds reserves in the European Super Cup the following season

They can argue amongst themselves about who brought the most fans!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
One thing is however known, Bielsa will not change his philosophy. We will press and attack every opponent, so I guess it's going to be a ride and a half.

I really hope that is true. Jake can definitely re-post his Tweet from last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here