Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leeds lining up their Ben White replacement

HeadLiner

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
To think we have Maupay, Connelly and Murray and we are desperate for more attacking force.

They have Patrick Bamford and...errr... nope, that's it.

They'll need three new forwards to compete.

On the subject of Bielsa he just missed out on promotion the first year and then looks to have done it this year playing attacking, expansive football... so almost exactly the same as Hughton did for us.

I can understand your ignorance. I really can.

Most of our fanbase knew little about him when he arrived.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I still hope Leeds **** it up and fail to get promoted. Unbearable fans.

It is almost worth them being promoted and then relegated the following season a la Norwich, and more importantly, the huge club that really is a top 10 club (which no-one apart from supporters are able to appreciate) Villa.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
that goes both ways, everyone seems to think white is the second coming of maldini (i don't) but he is playing against some proper shite forwards, i mean the championship is never great but this season i think is especially poor. vardy, aguero, ings etc., will run rings around white.

To be fair he has loads of opportunity to practice that with Bamford in training.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Leeds will do similarly to Sheff.

Doubt it. You will struggle hard. Ben White will be gone, Liam Cooper will be found out in the PL, Klich is never a PL AMC, Bamford needs 15 chances to score a goal and wont do that in the PL. Pablo Hernandez is 50.

Could see you doing well in the first month or so and then fall like a rock. Bielsa saying "**** it" and leaving by November. Massimo Cellino using his mafia contacts to regain control of the club, hiring Peter Reid and Dave Hockaday on five year contracts. Relegation and another 15 years in the Championship.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
they could, 17th

To be fair he has loads of opportunity to practice that with Bamford in training.

Doubt it. You will struggle hard. Ben White will be gone, Liam Cooper will be found out in the PL, Klich is never a PL AMC, Bamford needs 15 chances to score a goal and wont do that in the PL. Pablo Hernandez is 50.

Could see you doing well in the first month or so and then fall like a rock. Bielsa saying "**** it" and leaving by November. Massimo Cellino using his mafia contacts to regain control of the club, hiring Peter Reid and Dave Hockaday on five year contracts. Relegation and another 15 years in the Championship.

Cumulative LOL and spitting of tea over keyboard :laugh::laugh:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
that goes both ways, everyone seems to think white is the second coming of maldini (i don't) but he is playing against some proper shite forwards, i mean the championship is never great but this season i think is especially poor. vardy, aguero, ings etc., will run rings around white.

Well it's taken one of last season's top championship defenders nearly a year of regularly playing to get accustomed to the Premier (and he still made a mistake for Liverpool's second), so it's probably reasonable to expect similar from White (if he has been one of the best defenders in the championship this season).

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Evening Chaps. Here is the Ben white story from our side.

The facts as Ben White no doubt sees it: whilst on loan at Leeds, he has become a high profile Championship player (we are on TV enough), talked of as a Liverpool target. He has played every game, and played bloody well, and is obviously highly regarded by a world renowned coach. We could speculate that he has become attached to the club - being first choice and happy are powerful points; don't we all think strongly about our first love? He may well be in awe of Bielsa. Crumbs, our whole fan base are, and rightly so. He is no doubt pretty happy and enjoying his football and I'd expect not as many professionals get to experience that as often as we'd imagine.

My club: hard to understand Leeds unless you follow them really. It's a big city and every surrounding town in North, West and East Yorkshire is part of the catchment.You could speculate the population in that catchment isn't far off 2 million. There is the ongoing overseas connection still present from the past, the huge website hits and that big following. We toured in Australia last summer and had a 5K following from down under. Why is that relevant? The club has the feel of a top ten club and the pressure is that of a top ten club. Forget our 16 year absence, the club remains big news. If you can handle playing at Leeds, it's a great pointer to your mental ability to handle that sort of step up. It's quite an addictive all embracing environment and every club hates us; they really do. Most have forum threads about us and the phrase 'cup final' springs to mind when we come to town. Most raise their game against us. It all adds to the sense that this is a a special place and a siege mentality and close knit squad is a result.

What do we know? The club are surprisingly close knit, extremely well run and very few leaks get out now. Ben White is very close to a couple of the players: Roberts and Phillips. We are given the impression by those who write about the club that he would be open to a deal. Leeds have been looking at alternatives but have not written off signing White. Nowadays you know from agents if a player is interested prior to bidding and you discourage links if they aren't going to happen. As we know, player power is dominant now. If Ben White wants to leave, he will leave Brighton. Most of our mob thinks you won't be able to keep hold of him - I think you are safe from relegation so that is not an issue - but that we don't have a chance if Liverpool come sniffing. I'd ponder on whether he would play regularly for them? No of course he wouldn't. He can become an outstanding ball playing defender but . . . has no PL experience and isn't a strong defender or aerially dominant. The way Leeds play hasn't allowed him to be exposed to those weaknesses. It could be there is a rule that says new PL signings cannot be loaned, which means White would go from a regular to a squad player. He has no doubt jumped up a level and would be a 50K a week footballer on a new contract. There is a final small factor that very few outside of Leeds see to know. QSI - the owners of PSG - are going to invest in us following promotion. To what extent and how that works is open to debate. We've heard that they are not happy with how things went in France and want to do things differently BUT with KSA close to buying Newcastle and the UAE already at City, you can imagine how driven their motivations will be.

So Ben White. Lovely player. Been a joy to behold. Hardly put a foot wrong. Would love to have him here. Price? Hmm, could be corona affected but 20-25million (see Mings).

Regards

Brilliant. Thanks for coming on here and illustrating the arrogance of Leeds fans so perfectly. Every opposition fan thinks of Leeds as their cup final. Leeds are the best club in the world probably. White is probably in awe of your manager. This is amazing :lolol:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The development of Ben White is a slow burning project, cup games here and there, loans to incrementally bigger clubs and a burgeoning reputation, so quite why Leeds fans think we're going to abandon all the thought and planning when we are just about to benefit from it seems wilfully ignorant.
We won't sell to a relegation rival, and if White has a good season for us in the Premier League, we'll be in a position to sell him to a big club for 50/60M next summer.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The development of Ben White is a slow burning project, cup games here and there, loans to incrementally bigger clubs and a burgeoning reputation, so quite why Leeds fans think we're going to abandon all the thought and planning when we are just about to benefit from it seems wilfully ignorant.
We won't sell to a relegation rival, and if White has a good season for us in the Premier League, we'll be in a position to sell him to a big club for 50/60M next summer.

No, you've got it completely wrong. Leeds won't be a relegation rival. They are going to win the league. And then the Champions League the next season

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Leeds will be in a relegation scrap next season.

Fulham, Villa, have come up after successful seasons in the Championship, their fans telling everyone how they will tear up the PL, then the reality hits,you're not playing teams who can't compete with you, you've bought millions and millions of pounds worth of players who almost always are a disappointment, the crowd gets on their backs and they start to hide.
To throw money at half a team of new multi million pound players seems to have been a recipe for relegation recently.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Leeds will be in a relegation scrap next season.

Fulham, Villa, and Norwich have come up after successful seasons in the Championship, their fans telling everyone how they will tear up the PL, then the reality hits,you're not playing teams who can't compete with you, you've bought millions and millions of pounds worth of players who almost always are a disappointment, the crowd gets on their backs and they start to hide.
To throw money at half a team of new multi million pound players seems to have been a recipe for relegation recently.

Exactly. People use Wolves as a measure but they spent a lot of money before promotion and a lot more when in the Premier League. They were brilliant in the Championship.

Sheffield United have had an amazing season but Villa and Norwich have struggled massively. Leeds are going to have to spend big to compete and will need to get in one or two good strikers if they are going to do half as well as their fans think. Even then, there is no guarantee

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It's a big city and every surrounding town in North, West and East Yorkshire is part of the catchment.You could speculate the population in that catchment isn't far off 2 million. There is the ongoing overseas connection still present from the past, the huge website hits and that big following. We toured in Australia last summer and had a 5K following from down under. Why is that relevant? The club has the feel of a top ten club and the pressure is that of a top ten club. Forget our 16 year absence, the club remains big news.

You are Peter Risdale and I claim my five pounds! I suggest that you borrow a few hundred million and throw it at a top six bid. What could possibly go wrong?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Ben White will return to Brighton, everyone will then be able to judge whether he is decent Premier League player or maybe an international in the making.
His current value would be about £25m on the assumption he is likely to hold his own as an average PL defender.

After a season everyone will have a far better idea about his value. After a season of analysis Ben's value could be anything between 25m to 50m.

One way he's going to make it to Leeds is if we want to unload him after a season or two because he's not as good as everyone thought.

The only other way is if Leeds have a massive amount of money pumped into them by the Qatari consortium and they are able to offer a crazy price for an unproven Premier League player.

p.s. don't tell anyone I told you this, but if I had a spare £50m and wanted to survive in the Premier League I'd break the bank to sign Lewis Dunk.
(but you won't be able to get him either)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here