Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It has happened, they won't give a goal or point in retrospect, time to move on.

I was angry at the time, but we had opportunities to get back in the game, let's not sound like spoilt kids.

To a degree yes move on, but it's hardly acting like spoilt brats asking the right questions. The fact we had opportunities is completely irrelevant. I feel sorry for Mason he made a huge error, blowing the 2nd whistle, certainly not the first as that was correct. It's the cover story that the EPL who have put out that is pure fantasy. Watching the clip many times there's absolutely no way that Hooper could say the ball hadn't crossed the line, he just couldn't. The TV not once showed the goal line camera which they have at every EPL ground. That with the audio would prove it but why hasn't it been shown?

It's not the ref's mistake but bullshit after that is very bitter pill. That's what I'd be questioning if I was Barber, perhaps he has?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Match of the day froze the shot with the ball in flight, but it wasn't clear when the whistle blew.

The clip i have seen (only once ) from behind the ref, seemed to clearly show the net bulging as the second whistle sounded.
As I've only seen it once, I can't be sure, but if this is the case, I agree it's a massive cover up.

If we get relegated by a single point, would you advocate legal action by the club ?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
To a degree yes move on, but it's hardly acting like spoilt brats asking the right questions. The fact we had opportunities is completely irrelevant. I feel sorry for Mason he made a huge error, blowing the 2nd whistle, certainly not the first as that was correct. It's the cover story that the EPL who have put out that is pure fantasy. Watching the clip many times there's absolutely no way that Hooper could say the ball hadn't crossed the line, he just couldn't. The TV not once showed the goal line camera which they have at every EPL ground. That with the audio would prove it but why hasn't it been shown?

It's not the ref's mistake but bullshit after that is every bitter pill. That's what I'd be questioning if I was Barber, perhaps he has?
This. And as Fergie said: I'm not shouting and complaining to overturn this decision... it's for the next one.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If we get relegated by a single point, would you advocate legal action by the club ?

Nah.

If we go down at all, it will be totally our fault.

But refereeing in this country needs a complete overhaul, IMO.
This decision is one of many examples where the officials are failing to improve the game as a whole.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Match of the day froze the shot with the ball in flight, but it wasn't clear when the whistle blew.

The clip i have seen (only once ) from behind the ref, seemed to clearly show the net bulging as the second whistle sounded.
As I've only seen it once, I can't be sure, but if this is the case, I agree it's a massive cover up.

If it could be proved that the goal should never have been disallowed and there was a deliberate cover up would there be a case for a legal challenge to have the game replayed?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If it could be proved that the goal should never have been disallowed and there was a deliberate cover up would there be a case for a legal challenge to have the game replayed?

No - the same with the goal line thing in Sheff Utd / Villa last season that kept Villa up

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The 2nd whistle definitely blow as the ball hit the back of the net. Seen the replay a few times.

It clearly doesn't.

Even with freeze frame you can see he has the whistle in his mouth before the ball crosses the line.

What you can't tell without an audio wav form and frame advance is whether the ball crossed the line.

The Albionite

Feb 6, 2021
Well when we are all back seated at The Amex and we get Mason again, it will be Hull city at the Goldstone all over again.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Dermot Gallagher's defence of Mason that "he lost focus" may be true, but it is no defence.

Can a brain surgeon tell the family of a patient "I'm sorry he'd dead, I lost focus and cut the wrong bit".

I will translate this football speak for you.

Lost focus = Clueless and shouldn't be on the pitch.

And you can tell that the ref got it hopelessly wrong, as there has been no charge against Dunk for his post game comments.

The Albionite

Feb 6, 2021
Couldn’t believe the rubbish West Brom’s captain Bartley came out with, suggesting the ref said the first whistle was to speak to players about interference with the wall, yet replays show no Brighton player anywhere near the wall.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It clearly doesn't.

Even with freeze frame you can see he has the whistle in his mouth before the ball crosses the line.

What you can't tell without an audio wav form and frame advance is whether the ball crossed the line.

whistle in mouth doesn't mean he blew it though ...

What i don't understand is why the timing really matters. As there is no rule about the lining up then no rule was broken. Only thing I think that could be considered is offside/interfering with play.

Equally not sure why it would matter referees seem to be able to interpret as they want , just thinking about game ended then Man U get a penalty....

That said we missed two penalties and that was criminal.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Still think it misses the point that VAR or more importantly Hooper decided that the ball hadn't gone over the line before the 2nd whistle, It had on every clip I've seen and listened to. That means the error, which was only the 2nd whistle, was covered up. EPL and the ref's complicit in changing the events. If not prove it with proper views such as the goalline camera which hasn't been shown surprisingly. It goes further than the poor ref in the middle

Not sure why Sky and MOTD haven’t done their usual analysis/ reverse angles, goal line technology as to whether the ball was over the line or not before the 2nd whistle blew. I remember earlier this season some VAR controversy as to whether a ball had bent out and then back into play before a goal was scored and they did all sorts of different angles to prove it had, but they seem to have chosen not to do the same for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here