Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lee Mason

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Any chance we can get a crowdfunder going to clone an army of Pierre Luigi Collina's and get all these bumbling baffoons replaced?

Clone Graham Potter.

Am I alone in, comedy that it was, not feeling any anger against Lee Mason? Bloke made a mistake. A big one at that. But really, it’s drawn attention away from our bigger mistakes which are missing two penalties and at least one sitter. And the fact this is an established pattern to every game we play and have played all season and I don’t even think Lee Mason should get a footnote in our end of season relegation enquiry.

Of course you are not angry, he helped Brighton lose so that you can be all jolly now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
EDIT: Oops, looks like I was late to post this. Oh well.

Interesting. “An injury”....

Honestly, I wish they’d properly invest in training these refs and pay them more - hopefully attract top talent.

Currently it’s really not worth the hassle, as a job IMO.

Source:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not paid enough! Dean and Atkinson are reputedly earning £200k a year whilst Mason might only be on £48k, he gets £1.5k per EPL game so if he gets one game a week he's getting over £100k a year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stuart Atwell been hanging around with Lee Mason... apparently said ‘I can’t give that (penalty) as it will cause a lot of talk afterwards’ [emoji849]

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
****ing rubbish. Dunk asked if he could take the free kick, Mason said yes and blew the whistle. Dunk scored. Goal. Similar to the one Dunk scored against Liverpool. There is no requirement to wait for the defence to get fully set up. We should not forget the fact that Hooper is a total **** and hates Brighton. He is the one who ultimately persuaded the cretin Mason to disallow the goal because the moron can't stop blowing his ****ing whistle. Having seen it again on MOTD this morning it still seems to me that the ball was already in the net before the second whistle was blown. Perhaps we should have a discussion about who needs to hear the second whistle to determine at what point it was blown? Sound travels at 343 metres per second. t
he 4th official was around 50 metres from the referee so he would definitely not have heard the whistle until the ball was in the net. Hooper, the VAR **** was over 100 miles away and, therefore, didnt hear the whistle in real time at all but could only hear it through electronic transmission, fraught with error!

All this business about the second whistle is pointless, we must all agree that there was no infringement, therefore the second whistle was because Mason believes that the goalkeeper was not ready, panicked and tried to get out of it by blowing whistle due to the fact he believes he made a mistake. The second whistle was not allowed.
This is where it gets interesting, under the laws of the game from the FA.

The referee may not change a restart decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official if play has restarted

So maybe VAR advised him to allow the goal, but Mason decided to make his own choice against the laws of the game.

Full clarity on this.
https://www.thefa.com 3rd paragraph on the decisions of the referee section.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
There seems to have been a Times article written by Peter Walton criticising the decision to give Lee Mason a game like Bhafc Vs Wba. It's behind a paywall can anyone screen shot or give the jist of what it says please?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Times Article by the ever waste of space Walton

The problems with Lewis Dunk’s free kick all began when Lee Mason gave him permission to take it quickly. Dunk was very clever to ask Mason in advance, and very skilful to then place the ball into the unguarded part of the goal.

However, almost as soon as Mason gave Dunk permission to take the free kick, the official realised that West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone was not ready to defend it. In a panic, he blew the whistle again, effectively to overrule his first decision. At first, Mason assumed his second whistle had come after Dunk’s shot had crossed the goalline, and that therefore he was obliged to award the goal.

When the VAR, Simon Hooper, reviewed it, he found the whistle was blown just before the ball had crossed the line, and therefore the goal could not be allowed. So the law was upheld correctly in that sense but Brighton felt a sense of grievance.

It all stemmed from poor practice on Mason’s part, failing to realise until it was too late that Johnstone was out of position. A referee does not have to blow his whistle for a free kick to be taken but Mason was standing close the free kick in a way that would have given West Brom’s goalkeeper and defenders the impression he was waiting for them to take up positions before the kick would be taken.

Mason, 49, has been a very good official over several years but he is in poor form at the moment and was VAR for two very contentious recent incidents in games refereed by Mike Dean.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
If he has decided to blow whistle for a quick free kick - he has decided - Dunk can't do any more than ask is it OK and get reply of yes

As did ref at Liverpool away last season

Both perfectly good goals

Rest is best summarised by recent views of Wolves manager who has gone up a lot in my estimation lately ...

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
1730659995b87ad38d3ac2329ba3c94b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He made mistake of telling Dunk he could take and further mistake by allowing goal to stand. He did blow when realised made a mistake. Fact is it no way should he have been allowed to take kick with keeper on right hand post and would have been just as much of a farce if goal had been allowed. I think he did us enough favours by giving 2 penalties

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He made mistake of telling Dunk he could take and further mistake by allowing goal to stand. He did blow when realised made a mistake. Fact is it no way should he have been allowed to take kick with keeper on right hand post and would have been just as much of a farce if goal had been allowed. I think he did us enough favours by giving 2 penalties

That isn't correct.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

How many times do you need to be told. Quick free kicks are perfectly legal and nowhere in the rules states the GK needs to be ready. Otherwise, get us back in the FA as we weren't ready!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Times Article by the ever waste of space Walton

The problems with Lewis Dunk’s free kick all began when Lee Mason gave him permission to take it quickly. Dunk was very clever to ask Mason in advance, and very skilful to then place the ball into the unguarded part of the goal.

However, almost as soon as Mason gave Dunk permission to take the free kick, the official realised that West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone was not ready to defend it. In a panic, he blew the whistle again, effectively to overrule his first decision. At first, Mason assumed his second whistle had come after Dunk’s shot had crossed the goalline, and that therefore he was obliged to award the goal.

When the VAR, Simon Hooper, reviewed it, he found the whistle was blown just before the ball had crossed the line, and therefore the goal could not be allowed. So the law was upheld correctly in that sense but Brighton felt a sense of grievance.

It all stemmed from poor practice on Mason’s part, failing to realise until it was too late that Johnstone was out of position. A referee does not have to blow his whistle for a free kick to be taken but Mason was standing close the free kick in a way that would have given West Brom’s goalkeeper and defenders the impression he was waiting for them to take up positions before the kick would be taken.

Mason, 49, has been a very good official over several years but he is in poor form at the moment and was VAR for two very contentious recent incidents in games refereed by Mike Dean.

Just wow! So Walton believes that " good practice ' was the issue. So can we conclude that all referees should ensure that all of the defending team are suitably set to defend a set piece? Why would anyone bother to take quick free kicks? They actually wouldn't be quick as the ref would be saying ' yes you can take but only when I'm happy that the defence are ready ". Utter farce!

So the Leicester cup defeat was in fact down to poor practice by the ref? Can we appeal:ffsparr:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
All this business about the second whistle is pointless, we must all agree that there was no infringement, therefore the second whistle was because Mason believes that the goalkeeper was not ready, panicked and tried to get out of it by blowing whistle due to the fact he believes he made a mistake. The second whistle was not allowed.
This is where it gets interesting, under the laws of the game from the FA.

The referee may not change a restart decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official if play has restarted

So maybe VAR advised him to allow the goal, but Mason decided to make his own choice against the laws of the game.

Full clarity on this.
https://www.thefa.com 3rd paragraph on the decisions of the referee section.

This is really interesting. The excuse given after the game seemed like a little bit of a bollocks excuse but I assumed it was one of those rules like the one that allowed Man U to get a penalty after the final whistle. This paragraph on the F.A website seems to contradict that and suggest that he had no authority to blow the whistle a second time. I'd love to hear an official explanation to clarify this rule.

The relevant section is here:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-5---the-referee

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I make that wrong on two counts:

The attacking team can take a free kick as soon as they're ready and don't have to wait for the defence to get 11 men behind the ball. Quick free kicks happen all the time when the attacking team want to take advantage of their opponents being out of position.

How were the penalties favours? He just applied the laws correctly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here