Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Hughes,

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I would also refer NSC to the phone in when we played at Oldham a couple of seasons ago, when Hughes scored, and someone phoned up Harty and said "Hughes was guilty of leaving Elphick for dead, murdered him for pace, and stuck it in the far corner before celebrating like a criminal running away from a crime" and it went totally over Harty's head.

:lolol:

If I'm brutally honest I have less objection to Lee Hughes, who was a complete dickhead but has shown remorse in relation to his crimes, and that of King, who is a serial crim and repulsive human being all round.

We've had the likes of Charlie Oatway, Chris Eubank, Sparrow etc in Brighton who have done things wrong and made amends.

I would also refer NSC to the phone in when we played at Oldham a couple of seasons ago, when Hughes scored, and someone phoned up Harty and said "Hughes was guilty of leaving Elphick for dead, murdered him for pace, and stuck it in the far corner before celebrating like a criminal running away from a crime" and it went totally over Harty's head.

Which position did Eubank play? Thweeper? Thtwiker?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Hughes and King have both repaid their debts to society. Their sentences have been served. They are free men. Some might object to them playing for the Albion for moral reasons, but good morals won't promote us!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just playing devil's advocate for a second here...for the anti-Hughes voters: at what point would you deem it that Lee Hughes has served his sentence and paid for his crime?

Whatever people's personal views, the state deems that he has done his time, and is therefore free to do whatever he wants to do. So they can't really go round telling him which jobs he can and cannot take I suppose.

Not sure what the answer is myself, as I admit I find his "look at me" goal celebrations and general demeanour rather distasteful, but then I ask myself whether he should spend the rest of his life staying in and never being allowed to laugh or smile in public. Nothing he does now will ever change what he did then.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Hughes and King have both repaid their debts to society.

Have they..?

I thought they were sent to prison for;

1) Punishment, by means of loss of their freedom.

2) To keep them away from the general public for as long as possible, because they are nothing more than thugs.

I fail to see how the fact they spent time "inside" now makes them non-thugs...? I suspect that statistics will back me up on this, when looking at the cases of re-offending.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I just wonder how many people on this site, at some stage in their lives, under a different set of circumstances(i.e they did not get done/caught) could have some stage found themselves in the clink?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well on this then, no, the punishments in alot of cases are not severe enough in my view, but however, they have done their sentence as given to them, and MORALS, Don't make me laugh, Football players on £100,000 a week and starving children.................blah blah blah

Why do you equate footballers earning more than £100k a week with lack of morals compared to any other sector of society? When was the last time you turned down a payrise and suggested your employer send the money direct to charity?

Last edited:

I fail to see how the fact they spent time "inside" now makes them non-thugs...? I suspect that statistics will back me up on this, when looking at the cases of re-offending. ................Case by Case. whichever way you want to paint sentence has been served, not everyone re-offends, some do. At this momen in time, Hughes has not, so there for is free, does not make him good, but does not make him a criminal for life either, by record it does, but he can only serve what has been given, now he is trying to get on with his life, if he does re-offend then he shall be punished accordingly by the law of the land.

Why do you equate footballers earning more than £100k a week with lack of morals? When was the last time you turned down a payrise and suggested your employer send the money direct to charity?

It is a response born from the subject matter that someone else raised about whether a football player that has been to prison should play for brighton and therefore valid as a comparitive response about morals, not a direct protest about footballers wages

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have they..?

I thought they were sent to prison for;

2) To keep them away from the general public for as long as possible, because they are nothing more than thugs.

I fail to see how the fact they spent time "inside" now makes them non-thugs...? I suspect that statistics will back me up on this, when looking at the cases of re-offending.

As far as I am aware Lee Hughes has not run anyone in a Mercedes and run away from the scene to avoid being breathalysed since he came out of prison.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It is a response born from the subject matter that someone else raised about whether a football player that has been to prison should play for brighton and therefore valid as a comparitive response about morals, not a direct protest about footballers wages

So you are making a comparison between the morals of people that earn money and those that commit crime?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You lot act so self righteous, you'd be worshipping the ground they've walked on if they both came here and scored 25.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
no. read the post

Makes no sense!

'and MORALS, Don't make me laugh, Football players on £100,000 a week and starving children'. What is that if it is not making a comparison with wages.

The subject matter is whether the Albion should employ someone who through stupidity and selfishness, killed someone and then, through cowardice, ran away. And you introduced the comparison with players on high wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here