Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Hughes out of prison

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Whatever we do, he's sure to get stick, whether rightly or wrongly

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This situation is just plain wrong. Footballers are supposed to be role models to kids, so what business have Oldham got in employing a killer?

Like Tooting says, he should be plying his trade overseas, but he's obviously too thick to leave the North.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Fully disagree.

But the guy has spent the last 3 years behind bars, deserved but I feel is a very sad and pathetic thing to do. You wouldnt do it to his face.

Some people need to grow up a little.

You never boo the opposition??????????

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
He's done his time. Move on.

Bit of humourous banter is ok I guess but anything else is just pointless. 3 years inside for someone who had it all will no doubt have had some impact on him. I mean playing for Oldham must be punishment enough on top of the 3 years inside.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
3 years for killing 2 people and crippling a third is a sick joke. He went in at 28 with plenty of money in the bank. He comes out and stands to make plenty more while the families of the victims still feel the pain.

It would be nice to think that all 92 league clubs would reject him collectively but it seems even murder won't stop some desperate chairmen from reaching for the chequebook.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No, however he DID have the option of helping a carful of dying people but he turned on his heels. He is the lowest of the low. How many people would have protested if he'd have got 25 years? Not many, I'd wager.

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
So if it was you he had signed for and he won you promotion you wouldnt celebrate his goals.

A builder is allowed to return to his profession so why not a footballer. yeah he is scum for what he done but he has served his time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No I wouldn't mate, but that's just my opinion.

Technically he's done his time, morally he should have done 10 times more. I'd like to know what Coca-Cola think about this - if I'd pumped millions into sponsoring the league I'd be having a quiet word with the FA. After all, there aren't too many other sports that allow killers to peform.

Even Barrymore had the good grace to f*** off to NZ and he wasn't even found guilty.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
This situation is just plain wrong. Footballers are supposed to be role models to kids, so what business have Oldham got in employing a killer?

Like Tooting says, he should be plying his trade overseas, but he's obviously too thick to leave the North.

A) if they didnt sign him somebody else would .. would you not have him if he scores goals ... i know i would

B) He is from Midlands !

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
No, however he DID have the option of helping a carful of dying people but he turned on his heels. He is the lowest of the low. How many people would have protested if he'd have got 25 years? Not many, I'd wager.

So why didn't the prosecution appeal his sentence? It's the law that needs changing.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The key part of this that doesn't seem right to me is that the guy that didn't die, 3 years on, still has not received any compensation. Whilst the guy that caused his pain is now able to rebuild his life, this chap is still struggling to survive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Footballers are supposed to be role models to kids

That's a curious one too. I don't disagree that footballers are often seen as role models by youngsters but I'm not sure there is any 'supposed to' about it. David Beckham, Kerry Mayo and Lee Hughes have no obligation to show my daughter the way to lead a good and decent life. Why would they?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
That's a curious one too. I don't disagree that footballers are often seen as role models by youngsters but I'm not sure there is any 'supposed to' about it. David Beckham, Kerry Mayo and Lee Hughes have no obligation to show my daughter the way to lead a good and decent life. Why would they?

No, they don't but if your daughter looked up to someone like Kerry Mayo, and then Kerry went and got busted for drugs or did a Lee Hughes, how would that effect your daughter?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, they don't but if your daughter looked up to someone like Kerry Mayo, and then Kerry went and got busted for drugs or did a Lee Hughes, how would that effect your daughter?

Not at all. She's 4, lives in Somerset and her knowledge of princes ends at Cindarella's Prince Charming and not the ginger one.

But, assuming she did have increased awareness, I'm still not convinced it would influence her. Maybe I'm just naive but, in the same way as she is now aware of people smoking, it's my role as a parent to help her differentiate right from wrong. Smokers and the Lee Hughes of this world just provide useful working examples.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
it's my role as a parent to help her differentiate right from wrong. Smokers and the Lee Hughes of this world just provide useful working examples.

You got that right!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here