Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Hughes - Free agent- thoughts?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hasn't this 'Lee Hughes, should we sign him' been done to death. Oops, sorry, probably an inappropriate end to that sentence. Talking of sentences, did he do his full sentence for killing someone or did he get off lightly.

Steer well clear.

SNOOPY

Feb 25, 2009
actually lee hughes did his time and did well at oldham he partnered craig davies and they had a great partnership. also became good mates

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I'm not sure I agree. Obviously what he did was morally hideous. But he was punished by the law and has the right to try and redeem his life.

Presumably no one would object to him trying to resume a trade as a bricklayer, or a shop manager or an investment banker - so why not as a footballer? It just happens to be what he does.

And if you accept he has the right to work, why not work for us if he's good enough. Or are you saying that if you owned your own firm you would never employ an ex-prisoner?

Exactly - half of the moaners on here who would not have Hughes because of his conviction, would happily sit next to someone who confessed to killing a Crystal Palace fan - in fact there might be competition to do so. There would obviously be a moral issue there. As usual, a messageboard full of football fans is never consistent.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Exactly - half of the moaners on here who would not have Hughes because of his conviction, would happily sit next to someone who confessed to killing a Crystal Palace fan - in fact there might be competition to do so. There would obviously be a moral issue there. As usual, a messageboard full of football fans is never consistent.
Do you really believe that?:eek:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that there is any question about his ability to score goals at this level I think that the only doubt is regarding his age and acceptance of being a squad player and on what wage plus the moral issue of his conviction.

As regards his conviction he has done his time and who are we to again judge him. As regards the rest he may want big wages and not be prepared to be on the bench so it remains an unanswered question for RS to decide the correct answer.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Interesting debate.

Some people are saying he has done his time etc etc, which he has under the law of the land.

I wonder if those same people would give him a second chance if he was a sex offender?

What is the worse crime?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Interesting debate.

Some people are saying he has done his time etc etc, which he has under the law of the land.

I wonder if those same people would give him a second chance if he was a sex offender?

They wouldn't would they (& he would never have been allowed to go within 5 miles of a football pitch again). :thumbsup:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
How many people on here can honesty say, with there hand on there heart, that they have never drank and drove????There but for the grace of god go us all..Ive been banned,altough i never killed nobody thank god..The law gave me 18mth ban and now im back on road,wiser and a better person.Wish it hadnt happened but there you go,..On the face of it Hughes is a decent footballer and if he ever came to us,i would cheer his goals.People are far to quick to judge, or am i in a minority of people who have made mistakes in the past?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Drinking and driving is hardly "a mistake" it is a deliberate choice. He chose to drive whilst drunk and killed someone. I dont really want murderers playing for my football club.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Drinking and driving is hardly "a mistake" it is a deliberate choice. He chose to drive whilst drunk and killed someone. I dont really want murderers playing for my football club.

I knew there must be some people out there that have never done anything wrong in there lives,that could have had a effect on others..Im really pleased for you.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
How many people on here can honesty say, with there hand on there heart, that they have never drank and drove?????

A fair few i'd say but how many of us have drink, drove, overtaken another car on a blind bend, run away from the scene and lied when caught? I regularly drive on the stretch of road where he did what we did and it is insanity to drive on the wrong side of road, blind.

I have liked us a club over the years doing our bit for the community. I don't expect us to sign players who go to church every Sunday and spend all their spare time raising money for guide dogs for the blind but signing Lee Hughes is one step too far for me.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
A fair few i'd say but how many of us have drink, drove, overtaken another car on a blind bend, run away from the scene and lied when caught? I regularly drive on the stretch of road where he did what we did and it is insanity to drive on the wrong side of road, blind.

I have liked us a club over the years doing our bit for the community. I don't expect us to sign players who go to church every Sunday and spend all their spare time raising money for guide dogs for the blind but signing Lee Hughes is one step too far for me.

Fair point, dont get me wrong, im not saying i want Hughes, im saying he has paid the price for his crime in the eyes of the law.If he got off lightly or not is an issue for the courts.Personally id rather have someone younger and hungry.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I knew there must be some people out there that have never done anything wrong in there lives,that could have had a effect on others..Im really pleased for you.

I never said i had never done anything wrong but If by "effect on others" you mean killing them then yes i have never done that.

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
The thing is that he was drunk, killed someone and then wasn't man enough to admit it and hoped he wouldn't get caught. He is an almighty prick and i hope he stays well clear of this club!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Regardless of his conviction, I didn't think he exactly set the world on fire at Oldham?

I know he scored a few goals, but presumably if he'd been that hot, plenty of other clubs would be looking to take a gamble on him?

Thought he was OK, but not that much more.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Id LOVE to have a 20+ goals a season player, no matter who it was!!

All the top teams have that player and thats what we need!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How many did he score last season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here