Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Barnard

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I though Mido was shacked up with Sol or have I got the 'wrong end of the stick'?

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Barnard's been scoring for fun in the reserves, about an average of a goal a game, and is said by reserve team coach Clive Allen (who scored a few himself) that he could certainly, er, do a job in the future. Glad to see him make the bench today, but didn't really expect him to appear unless desperate.
A loan deal to the Championship would probably be the sensible next step for him, especially since we do have a fair few more established strikers to rotate, once Mido returns anyway.

Take Rasiak, for example.

No, please, please, please...
Do take him.

Didn't want to join the general scapegoating of a player, but the other night at Fulham he was truly woeful, so much so that after he picked up a yellow card for a clumsy challenge, the Spurs fans were urging the referee 'Off! Off! Off!', before singing 'We want our money back, on Gregorz Rasiak...' and 'You can stick Terry Henry up your arse (x3), 'cos we've got Gregorz Rasiak...'
Etc etc etc...

Though he will, of course, score the goal which knocks England out of this summer's World Cup - I know it, you know it, Robbo knows it... :glare:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
SussexSpur said:
Barnard's been scoring for fun in the reserves, about an average of a goal a game, and is said by reserve team coach Clive Allen (who scored a few himself) that he could certainly, er, do a job in the future. Glad to see him make the bench today, but didn't really expect him to appear unless desperate.
A loan deal to the Championship would probably be the sensible next step for him, especially since we do have a fair few more established strikers to rotate, once Mido returns anyway.

Take Rasiak, for example.

No, please, please, please...
Do take him.

Didn't want to join the general scapegoating of a player, but the other night at Fulham he was truly woeful, so much so that after he picked up a yellow card for a clumsy challenge, the Spurs fans were urging the referee 'Off! Off! Off!', before singing 'We want our money back, on Gregorz Rasiak...' and 'You can stick Terry Henry up your arse (x3), 'cos we've got Gregorz Rasiak...'
Etc etc etc...

Though he will, of course, score the goal which knocks England out of this summer's World Cup - I know it, you know it, Robbo knows it... :glare:

I reckon if Keane put that chance away Barnard would have been brought on.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
KinkyNormanBaker said:
I reckon if Keane put that chance away Barnard would have been brought on.

Yep, sounds about right.

Sadly, Keano and Defoe only have one pair of goalscoring boots between them, and it was Jermain's turn to wear them today. :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What did you make of it?

Thats the first time I have seen those two really play well together, Passing in first half was top notch.
You got the feeling that they just where playing out time in second half after 3rd.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Text received from a Spurs supporting mate re Barnard...."He is quality. Best reserve player we have."

Go get him MM

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
KinkyNormanBaker said:
What did you make of it?

Thats the first time I have seen those two really play well together, Passing in first half was top notch.
You got the feeling that they just where playing out time in second half after 3rd.

f*** off to the spurs board with that shit.

E

enigma

KinkyNormanBaker said:
What did you make of it?

I think playing them together is interesting, tho I didnt see the game. I think in a less physical league, such as Italy or particularly Spain, they would do well together.

Looks like Mido has been missed apart from this game though.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
They'll never be a classic partnership along the lines of, say, Beardsley-Lineker, where the duo add to each other's game, but no reason why they can't play well, individually but together in the same team.
They made maybe one or two clashing runs today, where they almost got in each other's way, but suffered more when either one of them got too uncharacteristically unselfish, rather than playing their natural game and going for goal themselves. But certainly encourages the midfield to play the ball on the ground and work it cleverly behind the defence, rather than simply lumping up to a big man.
Best Keano-Defoe interchange was probably at the return match at the Valley, when Defoe's one-two set up Keano's winner. Can certainly flourish together, if both are on form, that is - Keano has been for weeks, today showed encouraging signs of Defoe recovering his sharpness and eagerness too.
Man of the match for me, though - for the umpteenth time this season - was Carrick. The boy is pure class, and would stroll into most top European sides on this sort of form.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
enigma said:
I think playing them together is interesting, tho I didnt see the game. I think in a less physical league, such as Italy or particularly Spain, they would do well together.

Yeah Id go along with that, they tend to make the same runs.

I assume Jol would rather take his chances on two players that are class but dont work that well together rather than someone thats shit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
SussexSpur said:
They'll never be a classic partnership along the lines of, say, Beardsley-Lineker, where the duo add to each other's game, but no reason why they can't play well, individually but together in the same team.
They made maybe one or two clashing runs today, where they almost got in each other's way, but suffered more when either one of them got too uncharacteristically unselfish, rather than playing their natural game and going for goal themselves. But certainly encourages the midfield to play the ball on the ground and work it cleverly behind the defence, rather than simply lumping up to a big man.
Best Keano-Defoe interchange was probably at the return match at the Valley, when Defoe's one-two set up Keano's winner. Can certainly flourish together, if both are on form, that is - Keano has been for weeks, today showed encouraging signs of Defoe recovering his sharpness and eagerness too.
Man of the match for me, though - for the umpteenth time this season - was Carrick. The boy is pure class, and would stroll into most top European sides on this sort of form.

He doesnt even look like he trys half the time.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
SussexSpur said:

Yet has almost no chance of starting for England in the summer. Quite bizarre, especially when Sven/Tord watch him a lot. Best holding midfielder in the Premiership by some way.

E

enigma

KinkyNormanBaker said:
Yeah Id go along with that, they tend to make the same runs.

I assume Jol would rather take his chances on two players that are class but dont work that well together rather than someone thats shit.

Yeah fair enough. Better to play those two than Rasiak by the sounds of it. Increasingly seems like a panic buy. I see what they were trying to do, buy a good back up for Mido, but they could have bought better.

How much will Mido cost to buy permanently? Its the first club where he has settled. I have always rated him, saw him for ajax and marseille.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
enigma said:

Today was the first game without him we've won this season, through suspension and African Cup of Nations.

Including Grimsby and Leicester. :nono:

E

enigma

Repugnant Toad said:
Yet has almost no chance of starting for England in the summer. Quite bizarre, especially when Sven/Tord watch him a lot. Best holding midfielder in the Premiership by some way.

In fairness I think Parker is worthy of a shout as well.

But I agree with you it is bizarre. They're probably not big enough names for Sven :rolleyes:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
enigma said:
Yeah fair enough. Better to play those two than Rasiak by the sounds of it. Increasingly seems like a panic buy. I see what they were trying to do, buy a good back up for Mido, but they could have bought better.

How much will Mido cost to buy permanently? Its the first club where he has settled. I have always rated him, saw him for ajax and marseille.

6million euros was the price quoted in paper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here