Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Le Tour de France

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Armstrong will not make the podium in Paris.
HOPEFULLY the only battle remaining is BW and Andy Schleck, fighting out 2nd & 3rd.

B W will do the business in the TT. A S will do the same on Saturday, so it should basically comes down to maths.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just when you think Lance is dead and buried, something like that happens.
Don't know where he got that from, I was ticking off 2nd place for Brad, half way up the last climb.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Today's should be a cracker. If Wiggins can stay with Contador and Armstrong today he should be in a great position to claw back some time in the time-trial on Friday - he's still not out of the running for second but if stays with the leaders today, he really should get a podium place at least. That will be some compensation for the disappointment of Cavendish.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
First podium place for a British rider ever is a bit more than compensation. It will surely be a phenomenal achievement.

The peril of messageboards. When I said "some compensation", I meant some as in awesome, not some as in slight. In speech, it's an easy distinction but it didn't come across in text.

If Wiggins finishes top-3, he should be in with a great shout for Sports Personality of the year - he's certainly going to finish ahead of any French rider, that alone should be worth celebrating.:laugh:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The peril of messageboards. When I said "some compensation", I meant some as in awesome, not some as in slight. In speech, it's an easy distinction but it didn't come across in text.

If Wiggins finishes top-3, he should be in with a great shout for Sports Personality of the year - he's certainly going to finish ahead of any French rider, that alone should be worth celebrating.:laugh:

As you say the perils of messageboard - I should have assumed you meant that. I have only followed the Tour in the last few years - but history could be made.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Used to love it when there was a half hour highlights show of the day's stage on Channel 4 every evening.

Yes real shame that they dropped that. I used to like the theme tune, with the "Frere Jacques" bit on the end.
I saw the race when it went around Brighton in 1994 was it?
Maybe with the Brits success they'll put it back on one of the the main Channels, alongside Test Matches . (Can't you design a smiley whistling in the dark?)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes real shame that they dropped that. I used to like the theme tune, with the "Frere Jacques" bit on the end.
I saw the race when it went around Brighton in 1994 was it?
Maybe with the Brits success they'll put it back on one of the the main Channels, alongside Test Matches . (Can't you design a smiley whistling in the dark?)

Actually, that's a good point. With a British racing team next year, perhaps the TdF could become one of the 'crown jewels' of sport (although it is on a terrestial channel currently - it's on ITV4)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Live! 12 o'clock today. ITV4. 4 Cat 1 climbs, downhill finish! Bradley. :clap2:

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
That will be some compensation for the disappointment of Cavendish.

I don't think 4 stage wins, equalling the all-time British TDF record on the way, can be called a disappointment!

Cav must be in with a great shout in Paris too to make it a stunning 5 wins and make the record his own. I know its unlikely, but don't write off the green jersey completely just yet.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Actually, that's a good point. With a British racing team next year, perhaps the TdF could become one of the 'crown jewels' of sport (although it is on a terrestial channel currently - it's on ITV4)

In the Guardian today they are saying that it is possible that the Tour will not accept two novice teams - and that Armstrong's team will hardly be refused.

With the new GB Team sponsored by Sky - won't sky bid for it ? I suppose it depends who the sponsorship advertising is aimed at.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think 4 stage wins, equalling the all-time British TDF record on the way, can be called a disappointment!

Cav must be in with a great shout in Paris too to make it a stunning 5 wins and make the record his own. I know its unlikely, but don't write off the green jersey completely just yet.

It's about expectations though.He was on odds-on favourite for the Green Jersey and with less than a week to go even Cav is saying that he has no chance. I agree that it's a great performance but when you look at what was expected, I say it's got be a disappointment.

It would be a bit like Man U finishing 3rd in the Prem and winning the League Cup - most people would have that down as a good enough season but I bet Fergie would be disappointed.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
great stage today. the schlek brother's have secured 2 and 3 places i reckon, they might lose a little time in the TT tomorrow but they'll be super aggressive as always on saturday's final mountain stage so should claw it back. contador is untouchable. glad lance is off the podium.

also i read earlier that ITV are planning to show the entire race live next year! superb stuff.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hushovd is on a solo breakaway and it looks like he has the green jersey sewn up, though as I type he came very close to crashing!

Fantastic stage today that lived up to the billing.

Have to take my hat off to Hushovd. He's gone out alone early to take the sprint points on the road to ensure Cav can't catch him even with a stage win in Paris. Also, it's a defiant message to Cavendish from Hushovd that he'll win the green jersey by right and not because of any appeal he made the other day that deprived Cavendish of valuable points.

Still a superb Tour from Cavendish though and would be great to finish it off with a record 5th stage win on the Champs Elysees.

As for Wiggins today ? Yet again it's a case of :bowdown: Another top class ride to keep himself in with an outside shout of a podium place. Did well not to panic and blow up trying to catch the Schlecks which would have ultimately cost him dear. I'm all excited all ready just waiting to see how much time he can snatch back tomorrow on the time trial. In all honesty I think the Mont Ventoux stage will just be a stage too far for him in the end that will mean a place on the podium is just that little bit out of his reach. Loved to be proved wrong though as he's without doubt THE star of this years Tour, regardless of the fact we love him because he's a British rider.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

also i read earlier that ITV are planning to show the entire race live next year! superb stuff.

That would make my summer :yahoo:

Took today, tomorrow & Friday as holiday just so I can put my feet up and watch ITV's live coverage on these most decisive of stages. :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would not rule out Lance Armstrong for third place overall (30 seconds off the pace), but he gave the race to his team partner Alberto CONTADOR. Kloden is still a contender for third place overall.

First Individual Trial Results:
Individual Stage Times: Stage 01 - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Last edited:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
For what its worth I reckon wiggins will win the ITT tomorrow. But i think the others will not lose enough time for him to catch them. I think he will struggle up the Ventoux, and finish about 5th in the GC (which would still be a good achievement). Personally ill stick my neck out and say it will be Contador 1st Andy Schleck 2nd and Possibly Kloden 3rd. I dont think Armstrong has what it takes since he came back.

I Realy hope cavedish can win on the Champs eleyses, to have the last laugh and stick two fingers up at Hushovd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here