Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Le Tour de France

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
What a cracking stage today ! :clap:

Apart from anything else, it opens up all sorts of questions as to who's really the leader of Astana. Armstrong is obviously not prepared to play second fiddle to Contador. Perhaps they always started out as joint team leaders ? Certainly the Astana riders in todays break were allowed to work for Armstrong.

Great work by Columbia HTC again to ensure another stage win for Cavendish and more valuable points towards his bid to win the green jersey. If he can drag himself over the mountains and finish in Paris ( as he's stated he intends to do this year ) then already he's in with a very good shout.

Yes it was a cracking stage. I was surprised to see Armstrong in the group, never seen that tactic deployed before.

No matter what the French say about him having 3 lungs, you got to hand it to him. To be coming in to this race at 37 years old is some achievement. And of course not forgetting Cavendish another great stage win. He should be back page of the papers.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
Cavendish deserves Sports Personality of the Year now that Murray has unsurprisingly flopped when it counted.

I expect Jensen Button or a cricketer will probably win it now, fair enough JB is a great racer, but his success relies on the car just as much as, if not more, than him. Cav is smashing all the British cycling records and dominating one of the worlds great sporting tests at the moment, he deserves the title in my opinion. He would be a national superstar if he was from any other european country.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Had to go out all evening so only just caught up with todays team time trial stage results.

Well that looks like two potential contenders for the GC out of the equation now then. Really can't see Cadel Evans and Dennis Menchov making up the time they've lost today - especially with the strength in depth Astana have.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Had to go out all evening so only just caught up with todays team time trial stage results.

Well that looks like two potential contenders for the GC out of the equation now then. Really can't see Cadel Evans and Dennis Menchov making up the time they've lost today - especially with the strength in depth Astana have.

Surprised at Menchov. He was 14-1 before the start of the race and I thought that was worth a punt (glad I didn't now).

Astana ran a great race. After the shenanigans of the day before I thought that Astana would either completely implode or destroy the rest of the field - what a fantastic comeback - and has there ever been a tighter margin for the yellow jersey?

This is a fantastic Tour, one of the best for years... and we haven't even reached the mountains yet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The first mountain stage lived up to expectations - what a race. It was still unclear who had snaffled the yellow jersey as the first few riders crossed the line - 3 riders in contention (and none of them the stage winner, nor the previous wearer).

And what a great ride by Bradley Wiggins - hanging in there.

There are going to be a lot more twists yet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well, the first of the mountain stages today and what a fantastic first week it's been !

This promises to be one of the best Tours for years :clap:

Looks like it's going to get really spicy between Contador and Armstrong. If they are friends now, I'm not sure they will be come the end of this Tour :lol:

Trying not to ramble on & on to myself, but I must say how impressed I was with Wiggins today to not get dropped on the climbs and retain a top ten place in the GC so far. Says he's hoping for a top 20 finish come Paris, and that would be a revelation if he can pull that off.

I could prattle on about all sorts of highlights from the first week but I know others have better reviews to give than me. So come on, let's get this thread going again, you know it makes sense.

I'll just finish for now with a brief look at the leaderboard after todays action.

Race Leader: Rinaldo Nocentini (Ag2r-La Mondiale) (yellow)

KOM: Brice Feillu (Agritubel) (polka dot)

Young Rider: Tony Martin (Columbia - HTC) (white)

Team: Astana

GC:
1. Rinaldo Nocentini (Ag2r-La Mondiale) in 25:44:32
2. Alberto Contador (Astana) at 00:06
3. Lance Armstrong (Astana) at 00:08
4. Levi Leipheimer (Astana) at 00:39
5. Bradley Wiggins (Garmin - Slipstream) at 00:46
6. Andréas Klöden (Astana) at 00:54
7. Tony Martin (Columbia - HTC) at 01:00
8. Christian Vande Velde (Garmin - Slipstream) at 01:24
9. Andy Schleck (Saxo Bank) at 01:49
10. Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas) at 01:54

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I still fancy Contador to win it. No-one can live with his pace in the mountains. Lance clearly wast happy about what went on, was it planned by Astana? I wouldnt be suprised if someone like Schleck nipped in and takes advantage of this inevitable astana upheaval. As for Menchov, I guess he knackered after winnig the Giro in may.

Oh and what a fantastic ride by Bradley Wiggins, I reckon he is top 10 material. Should be a cracking next week or so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loving it.
Lance's interview at the end, was priceless. The saying 'actions speak louder than words' has never been more apt. I would have loved to have been there when Lance went crying to Johan.
It ought to be Contador's now, top 10 (and be grateful, over the moon with top 5) for Lance.
But it's definately not done and dusted, as Statto says, someone else may well pop up to take advantage of Bert having to ride on his own.

Loved Wiggo, my head will pop off with a few more days like that.

Sunday's stage, is the one I would have ridden in May had the news I received in April been different. So I'm already really eager of that one. I might have to buy 5lbs of duck fat and cook a Cassolet (sp) to celebrate!.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Loving it.
Lance's interview at the end, was priceless. The saying 'actions speak louder than words' has never been more apt. I would have loved to have been there when Lance went crying to Johan.
It ought to be Contador's now, top 10 (and be grateful, over the moon with top 5) for Lance.
But it's definately not done and dusted, as Statto says, someone else may well pop up to take advantage of Bert having to ride on his own.

Loved Wiggo, my head will pop off with a few more days like that.

Sunday's stage, is the one I would have ridden in May had the news I received in April been different. So I'm already really eager of that one. I might have to buy 5lbs of duck fat and cook a Cassolet (sp) to celebrate!.

Were you going to do L'etape? It's something that I've fancied but am daunted by the level of training that I'd had to do for it.

What did Lance say in his interview - I missed that?

I think there's going to be plenty of fun to come - Cadel Evans hasn't blown his top yet. And wouldn't it be great if Wiggins could get a top 10 finish and Cav wins the sprint title? What a boost for British cycling.

(oh, and it's cassoulet)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Congratulations to Lord Cavendish on yesterday's stage win.
I shall be watching on the Col de la Schlucht or Col du Platzerwasel on the 17th!

Anyone know a sound reason why footballers are "tired" when playing more than one game in a few days yet cyclists and tennis players go on for hours at a time for days in a row?

When would the footballers get time to go to night clubs and roast if they had to play more than twice a week?

Although not a massive fan of the tour It is hard to to respect anyone who takes part and we have the chance of a Brit sprint winner.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Were you going to do L'etape? It's something that I've fancied but am daunted by the level of training that I'd had to do for it.

I think there's going to be plenty of fun to come - Cadel Evans hasn't blown his top yet. And wouldn't it be great if Wiggins could get a top 10 finish and Cav wins the sprint title? What a boost for British cycling.

(oh, and it's cassoulet)
Blimey only missing a U out at 4:30am, I'm taking that as a victory.

Very much what didn't Lance say, when asked 'did that go to plan', the reply was eventually 'well it went to a plan, just not the one we were working with' (or words to that effect), he was seriously unhappy.
Sadly even as one of Brad's biggest fans I wouldn't get too carried away with todays performance, as good as it was. I don't think anyone was truly riding in their red zones, I'd imagine Brad will easily be the 1st to crack, when they do (I really hope I'm wrong).

Last May, probably thanks to NSC's travel agency, we were in the area and drove 90% of the route, which was quite handy as it wasn't published until Sept, after a most memorable lunch in St Girons.
So I know it's the 'easiest' mountain stage on this years route, and do-able, assuming I had plenty of lights on my bike! :lol:. Naturally there's plenty of other cyclists on the road to ride with.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Taken from, my 2nd home. Tour De France News Roundup, Stage 7 - BikeRadar

Discord at Astana?
Alberto Contador relaunched his bid for the 2009 yellow jersey on the first mountain stage of the Tour de France Friday, after taking back time previously lost to teammate Lance Armstrong.

Speculation since before the race that Contador's Astana team might favour the seven-time champion instead of the much younger Spaniard, who won the race in 2007, has so far failed to abate.

And this latest episode in Astana's mystery book of race strategies, which on Friday saw Contador take 19 seconds off Armstrong to move up to second overall, has left no one the wiser.

In recent days Armstrong has indicated he will aim for an eighth Tour de France crown, while Astana team manager Johan Bruyneel refuses to reveal who their official team leader is.

Contador's move on Friday meanwhile put his ambitions back in the spotlight, and comments from both Bruyneel and Armstrong hinted there could be discord in the team.

"No one had specific instructions to attack," said Bruyneel when asked if he had given Contador the green light to go.

Armstrong admitted Contador's move had not been expected: "I was a bit surprised. Things didn't go according to the plan we'd set out earlier, but it didn't matter. It was a fine day overall."

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good and bad news for the leading Britsh lights with under 10k to go on todays stage.

Wiggins managed to stay with the group of about 30 riders containing all the top GC contenders over the climbs :clap:

Hushovd was in a couple of early breakaway groups to take enough sprint points to nick the green jersey off of Cavendish :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I think the Americans use the term pissed without adding the off , don't they ? :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last May, probably thanks to NSC's travel agency, we were in the area and drove 90% of the route, which was quite handy as it wasn't published until Sept, after a most memorable lunch in St Girons.

For the record.
Lunch was had on a terrace over the river, on the corner of the bridge and road, directly opposite the church. As seen today from the helicopter shots at the end of todays stage, as the classifications were being displayed.

I'm sure you'll agree it would be difficult to NOT have a memorable meal there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh well, it looks like the adverse effect of centreing the route on Mount Ventoux, is the rest of the 'racing' is a little dull.
Or as dull as the Pyrenees can be.

At least we now know there has to be some 'balls out racing' in the Alps.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Oh well, it looks like the adverse effect of centreing the route on Mount Ventoux, is the rest of the 'racing' is a little dull.
Or as dull as the Pyrenees can be.

At least we now know there has to be some 'balls out racing' in the Alps.

We can also still look forward to will they or won't they (Astana) tear them selves apart over leadership squabbles.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I as much as I don't think it will matter in the long run. I do hope Brad's 'rookie' mistake yesterday, won't cost him.
It certainly brings him closer to Vanderveldre, and therefore nearer to playing 2nd fiddle.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Agree Gwylan , this is by far the best Tour in years,on so many levels.Apart from the headlines that Cavendish is grabbing, just seeing an ENGLISHMAN climb with a select group of elite climbers is staggering.Someone jog my memory if this has been seen before? Wiggins is clearly as excited by this as we are because he knows that you can win as many Olympic golds as you like but the very pinnacle of international cycling is being on tv for 3 hrs at a time in the lead group of a mountain stage in the Tour de France.The Alps will be essential viewing.Millar's hanging on too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here