Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

le Tour 2006

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Yep landis has won it now. Ever since thursday It was obvious he would. A fntastic TT ride. Good to see Britains David Millar finishing 11th in todays stage.

Last edited:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Statto said:
Yep landis has won it now. Ever since thursday It was obvious he would. A fntastic TT ride. Good to see Britains David Millar finishing 11th in todays stage.

:dunce: sorry didnt read the post above. he was 11th till late on.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Time trials run true to form in the case of Landis and Pereiro.

Landis beat Pereiro by 83 seconds in the last 52 km time trial, and this time he won by 89 seconds in a 67 km time trial and in 2005 he won by about 83 seconds as well.

Landis was always favourite to win since Thursday, but 2/7 on did not seem very good odds to me.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Yeah, it does often go to form. Im surprised that landis wasnt shorter odds to win, but I suppose the tour is verry unpredictable this year.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
I bet Pereiro and the rest are kicking themselves now for letting Landis gallop off up the road 2 days ago. That was an epic ride by Landis and a big technical blunder by the other contenders.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Thor HUSHOVD wins the Paris stage. Its all over.

Discovery did win at least on stage with the Ukranian POPOVYCH.

Luxembourg did better than Britain.

I could not find a list of the stage winners, list of the journey distance?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
perseus said:
Thor HUSHOVD wins the Paris stage. Its all over.

Discovery did win at least on stage with the Ukranian POPOVYCH.

Luxembourg did better than Britain.

I could not find a list of the stage winners, list of the journey distance?

Try the officiall tour site, www.letour.fr.

David Millar was unlucky not to win todays stage. Prbably been the best tour for years.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Landis gives positive drugs test

Landis finished ahead of Oscar Pereiro to win the Tour de France
Tour de France winner Floyd Landis has given a positive drugs test, according to his Phonak team.
The American, who claimed victory in the Tour de France on Sunday, has tested positive for the male sex hormone testosterone.

How does this effect my betting slip I have got on Pereiro to win the Tour de France ?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Well after this they might as well scrap the tour de france and all competitive racing!

Surprise surprise it was after stage 17 when he made his miraculous recovery and won the stage by miles after finishing miles behind the day before!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
perseus said:

Tour de France winner Floyd Landis has given a positive drugs test, according to his Phonak team.
The American, who claimed victory in the Tour de France on Sunday, has tested positive for the male sex hormone testosterone.

How does this effect my betting slip I have got on Pereiro to win the Tour de France ?

Where did you find this dood ?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
From the BBC website

The positive test came after stage 17 of the Tour, which saw Landis record an epic victory after collapsing on the final climb the day before.

Landis has been suspended pending results of his B sample analysis.

The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced on Wednesday that a rider had failed a doping test but would not reveal his name.

"The Phonak Cycling Team was notified on Wednesday by the UCI of an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone ratio in the test made on Floyd Landis after stage 17 of the Tour de France," said a team statement.

"The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result.

"The rider will ask in the upcoming days for the counter analysis (B sample) to prove either that this result has come from a natural process or that this is the result of a mistake."

Phonak have also said that if the second sample confirms the positive test, Landis will be sacked.

Landis had already withdrawn from two races in Europe this week, Wednesday's Acht van Chaam street race in the Netherlands and Thursday's Jyske Bank Grand Prix in Denmark.

"Today, Phonak confirmed the cancellation. They could not say anything about why Landis has disappeared," said Jyske Bank Grand Prix spokesman Nils Finderup.

"We have tried to call him, to call his agent, and to call the head of the Phonak team, but no one has answered."

Organisers of the Acht van Chaam event were also angry at Landis' no-show.

"We have tried to contact Floyd and his manager but we have not been able to," said race agent John van den Akker.

"We are very annoyed. We have invested a lot of money to ensure his appearance and we would have expected some kind of explanation."

Landis finished 57 seconds ahead of Spain's Oscar Pereiro in the general classification to claim his first Tour de France title last weekend.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Doesnt do the reputation of cycling any good does it. I wonder if they will strip him of his yellow jersey. Mind you its a well known fact that all road racing cyclists are on drugs. Youd have to be to do what they do. Im not saying its ok though.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Re: Re: le Tour 2006

goldstone said:
Don't be silly.

Cycling is up there with the most unexciting sports there are.

Boring, boring, boring.

And they're all drugged up to the eyeballs.

Well one of them was...wise words Goldstone old boy!!!

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Re: Re: le Tour 2006

goldstone said:
Don't be silly.

Cycling is up there with the most unexciting sports there are.

Boring, boring, boring.

And they're all drugged up to the eyeballs.

Rubbish! Did you watch any of the mountain stages in this years race? If so then you are hard to please. If cycling is so boring then why is the tour de france the biggest and most watched ANNUAL sporting event on the panet.

:shrug:

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It would take more than drugs to get me to cycle up a mountain. I would need a petrol motor, at least.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As an athlete you’ve got three choices when you’ve been caught for using doping: denial, denial and denial, but wait (everybody does, but only some of us get caught!) ....

What does it all mean? A Landis slur ?

Testosterone. At the moment, it isn’t clear if high levels of testosterone in men increases the risk of prostate cancer. But we do know that prostate cancer cells depend on testosterone in order to grow.

cf. Lance Armstrong has only got one testicle and produces less testosterone than average!
http://www.playboy.com/arts-entertainment/features/lancearmstrong/04.html

Thyroxin is a naturally occurring hormone as well. (But this is a burn out drug more like speed.)

Still a bit weird, because one of the treatments for prostrate cancer is an anti-testosterone.

If Albion come out in the second half all fired up after a dismal first half, it could be testosterone patches. But in view of their dismal performances, Albion are drug free.

EPO cyclists have to go for a break, ir else they get detected. So Landis is going for a break now, citing an operation needed.

SM: What effects do all these doping products have on an athlete’s body?

Delbeke: Amphetamines make your mental alarm bell ring much later when you’re tired, which is why they’re so dangerous. And it’s addictive. Anabolic steroids and testosterone grow muscles, but the side effects are liver tumors, cardiac issues, dependence and aggressiveness. EPO enhances the transport of oxygen to the muscles. If you use too much EPO your blood ‘thickens’ and at a given moment your heart won’t be able to handle it anymore. And growth hormones grow everything that can grow, including muscles.
http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=7844

Comment:
Beechams should sponsor a British cycling team!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here