Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Le Pen to visit the UK

El Presidente said:
UKIP is full of people that believe we still have an empire and are a manufacturing powerhouse. The truth is Britain needs Europe more than Europe needs Britain as we have a huge trading relationship with other EU countries. The EU is corrupt, inefficient, bloated and flawed, but is the lesser of two evils when compared to going it alone
I think Europe needs the UK more then the UK needs Europe. We do have the 4th largest economy in the world don't forget.

Anyway, we'll still be able to trade with the EU even if we're not in it. That way we lose the corruptions, bloating and flaws.

Or better still, why don't we dismantle the EU altogether and turn it back into a series trading agreements? Sounds much better to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mr C said:
I think Europe needs the UK more then the UK needs Europe. We do have the 4th largest economy in the world don't forget.

Anyway, we'll still be able to trade with the EU even if we're not in it. That way we lose the corruptions, bloating and flaws.

Or better still, why don't we dismantle the EU altogether and turn it back into a series trading agreements? Sounds much better to me.
But I like the freedom of movement and rights to work anywhere on the continent that the EU provides. How long do you think it would take to put replacement trade agreements in the place of the EU? And what about damaging trade wars that come about because trade agreements are renegotiated or reneged upon? Far better and certainly more efficient to come to an agreed community consensus if you ask me. What we are doing wrong is not putting our foot down. i.e. getting involved. We should be in the heart of the EU, influencing policy. If we were, all those tin pot French and Italian farms could kiss good-bye to their overly generous handouts that the CAP provides for and our complaints over French blockades and stuff might carry a good deal more weight.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Its got nothing to do with oil, most sensible people have accepted that.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about Le Pen? and I agree with you as long as he keeps his jibber jabber respectable theres no problem.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Simster - sounds fine in principle but doesn't work in practice. The CAP doesn't get overhauled because the French don't want to upset their farmers - however central we are to Europe would make no difference there. Also, the fact that the Swiss are not members of the EU doesn't seem to stop freedom of movement or trade. As part of a 'managed withdrawal' from the EU those kind of things can easily be negotiated in - but on OUR terms. There are already trade wars within the EU anyway - mainly due to unequal duties/taxes across a so-called harmonised 'single' market. Whether we are in or out makes no difference there.

The main difference I see is that we would no longer be paying billions of pounds a year to fund the EU bureaucracy gravy train. While we're about it, give the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish their independence (ie give the English our independence) and have an independent England, trading with the EU but not ruled by it.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
edna krabappel said:
Funny that the BNP have a 'foreigners out' policy, yet they are inviting a Frenchman to come and speak for them....

Indeed, and the BNP decamped to some remote French farmhouse when they were kicked out of their headquarters in Welling. Foreigners come in useful sometimes, don't they, Mr Griffin? Best thing would be for them to turn up to speak and noone is in the audience. Saying that, I do feel we should be able to expel anyone who threatens us, regardless of whether they will be threatened in their own countries.

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
Monsier Le Penn,Sortir de notre pays et prend votre saleté raciste avec vous.vous doit être le coup!! :shootself

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
looney said:
This is rubbish, reverse it all and you'd have the truth.

i'm voting UKIP.:clap2:
You should try listening, he's telling the truth!
I used to be a member of UK Independence party but left because they tell more lies than any other party. I have now learnt that Certain policies are not a result of being in Europe, but a result of voting for the wrong MEP's. Wake up!!!!:eek:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Indeed, and the BNP decamped to some remote French farmhouse when they were kicked out of their headquarters in Welling. Foreigners come in useful sometimes, don't they, Mr Griffin? Best thing would be for them to turn up to speak and noone is in the audience. Saying that, I do feel we should be able to expel anyone who threatens us, regardless of whether they will be threatened in their own countries.

much as i wish this odious little man wasn't coming, and much (very very much) as i wish the bnp would go f*** themselves all up the arse, you've got to laugh at what the atmosphere's gonna be like as two bunch of racists from different countries get together.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am glad several protesters gave him the reception he deserved along with the suited, shaven headed muppets that were minders.

I hope he disappears back down the hole he came from.

Hmmmm.......the UKIP are a bit like the Ron Atkinson of British politics. They will swear to they're blue in the face that they are not racist and they say their Little Englander comments about this "overcrowded" island should not be misunderstood. But I'd love to hear what they say among themselves when the microphones are switched off.

That said, I suppose it is a relief that the soft-headed, rightwing nationalist vote in this country is corralled into the non-violent arms of the UKIP than towards the out-and-out Nazi bullyboys of the BNP.

Last edited:

Simster said:
I remember watching Question Time live from Oldham about 7 or 8 years ago and an old working-class lady dared to suggest that most of the trouble was being caused by a gang of Asian youths

Simster, can you explain why you think it is relevant to highlight the racial origins of troublemaking youths?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here