Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC at it again.

Council wants more time to object to Falmer
By Simon Barrett

Brighton and Hove Albion have branded Lewes District Council "a disgrace" for asking for more time to object to the club's new stadium.

The Seagulls' dream of a new home at Falmer came a step closer after a date was set for written representations to be handed to the Government, which is reconsidering the club's planning application to build the stadium.

But the council confirmed yesterday it had asked for an extension to the December 28 deadline, infuriating club officials and supporters who have accused the council of repeated delaying tactics.

Albion chief executive Martin Perry said: "This is another outrageous attempt to scupper the planning process by a council which has behaved despicably throughout.

"Lewes District Council will apparently stop at nothing to achieve their aim of delay upon delay and don't care if they kill this football club in the process.

"They are abusing the planning process and it is a disgrace. If they really were ready to go to the High Court last month then surely they should know their arguments inside out.

"We will vehemently oppose any extension in the strongest possible terms."

Albion's plans for Falmer have been beset by legal problems, including two public inquiries.

The original decision to grant permission for the 22,000-seat facility, made by John Prescott in October 2005, was quashed in the High Court earlier this month after it was revealed he had made a mistake in the wording of the document.

Fears were raised over the possibility of more hearings delaying the process further, but the council has confirmed it will not be asking for a third public inquiry - settling instead for the decision to be made by Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly.

Ed Bassford, spokesman for the Seagulls Party, which will fight for seats in Lewes at the local elections in May, said: "To re-open the public inquiry Lewes District Council would need a justifiable reason and they know there just isn't one.

"We have had two exhaustive inquiries so they are obviously trying to delay the process in any way they can.

"It has been over a year since they first appealed against John Prescott's decision, and I find it astonishing that they still haven't got their points ready."

Council spokesman Mark Hazelby said: "Lewes District Council has decided that the public inquiry should not be re-opened and the cheaper and quicker route of written representations should follow.

"We have explained to Ruth Kelly's office that her proposed deadline only allows 24 working days for written representations, which is an inadequate amount of time given the complex issues she has asked us to deal with."

Rob Kelly, a spokesman for the Department of Communities and Local Government, said: "We are currently considering a request for an extension to the deadline of December 28, and are speaking to all parties involved before making a decision."

A final decision is expected in the spring.

Last edited:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Well its not even subtle now. I just hope that this uses up any good will the government had for their case.

Twats.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well done Lewes. Keep these coming for it is clear who these delaying tactics and scathing attacks discredit.

Perhaps they should dig out and dust off, their old copy of politics for dummies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bastards

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Have to love them really. Starting to be shown for what they are.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tempted to move to the LDC just to vote against them, although that would add to my commuting time.

Fancy letting me a room for a while anyone? I won't stay there, but will theoretically be able to vote. :D

I speculate ...

February ... LDC submit new evidence.

March ... The Football Club respond with a rebuttal.

April ... The Secretary of State decides that the only way to deal with the conflicting evidence is to re-open the Inquiry.

LDC put out a statement to the effect that they didn't want the Inquiry re-opened, but it wasn't them wot dun it, it was the Secretary of State.

And they've worked this scenario out already.

This is a DISGRACE. And a complete abuse of the planning system.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It appears this is what the plan is. It really wouldn't suprise me if they had held back some evidence that they can 'stumble across'.

Lord B, how many candidates/wards are there in the running for for power on behalf of the seagulls party?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
I

I know FA all about planning but why don't the powers that be put an end to this prevaracating? LDC are taking the piss and it seems getting away with it again and again. Does there ever come a time when they say enough's enough or do they get away with pissing around until we go to the wall? Pathetic

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
i wonder what the normal independant lewes voter & tax payer thinks of all this ?
pumping money in to a fight they can't possibly win.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lord Bracknell said:
I speculate ...

February ... LDC submit new evidence.

March ... The Football Club respond with a rebuttal.

April ... The Secretary of State decides that the only way to deal with the conflicting evidence is to re-open the Inquiry.

LDC put out a statement to the effect that they didn't want the Inquiry re-opened, but it wasn't them wot dun it, it was the Secretary of State.

And they've worked this scenario out already.

You're really scaring me now !!! A statement like that coming from someone so closely connected to the goings on and someone so knowledgable about the process sends a shiver down my back. Until now I've believed we could win this but now .......

Westdene Seagull said:
You're really scaring me now !!! A statement like that coming from someone so closely connected to the goings on and someone so knowledgable about the process sends a shiver down my back. Until now I've believed we could win this but now .......
The hook I'm hanging my hope on is this:-

Rob Kelly, a spokesman for the Department of Communities and Local Government, said: "We are currently considering a request for an extension to the deadline of December 28, and are speaking to all parties involved before making a decision."

He's talking about a decision whether or not to allow LDC the extra time they have asked for.

It hasn't yet been granted. It doesn't have to be and it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

Lord Bracknell said:

He's talking about a decision whether or not to allow LDC the extra time they have asked for.

Maybe if enough of us decided to drop him a line outlining LDC's tactics his decision might be made easier....

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Lord Bracknell said:

the problem is, is that kelly is totally neutral on this and must be seen to be making the right decision for both parties so allowing LDC more time seems is the feasible option from the government's point of view.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
We need leaflets. The local tax payer does not have a clue how much money is being wasted by LDC. It is one thing that might persuade voters to vote for someone else.

Voting them out is the only way we get this situation resolved. I have lost all confidence in this council. Getting them out of Power will be the best kick in the teeth we can give them

How many local services are suffering because of this?

If enough people complain and refuse to pay their council tax they will have no other alternative but to drop this stupid action.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yet again absolutely contemptible behaviour from LDC. They have 24 working days to answer the following FOUR questions:

a) The location of the site of the proposed development in relation to the built-up area of Brighton and Hove as identified in the adopted Local Plan 2005; and the significance of that location for the purposes of the Secretary of State's further consideration of the applications, having regard to policies in the adopted Brighton and Hove Local Plan 2005, the East Sussex Structure Plan 1991-2011 and the adopted Lewes District Local Plan 2003;

b) The interpretation and application to these planning applications of the Government's policy in relation to development in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs) as stated in Planning Policy Statement 7 (PPS7); including, in particular, consideration of the need for the proposed development, having regard to:

* any national considerations;
* the need for regeneration;
* the impact of permitting the proposed development, or refusing it, upon the local economy;

c) The approach to assessment of the alternative sites put forward for consideration by the Secretary of State; and the merits of those sites including, in particular, the accessibility of the Sheepcote Valley site;

d) Any new matters or changes of circumstances (including in relation to the proposed designation of the South Downs National Park) which the parties consider to be material to the Secretary of State's further consideration of these applications.

There is nothing even vaguely complicated in there.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here