Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lay off Barnes. Spare a thought for Greer

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Greer is out of contract at the end of the season but has an appearance clause in his current deal which triggers another deal. If Gus recruits a new centre half in January then GG could be looking for his next club to join.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spooky! But wise. Very wise.

The world didn't end yesterday because we didn't win a game of football we should have. I think people want to remember that. I think people were absolutely delighted by the equaliser, gives them something to moan and cry about until tuesday, when if we're lucky we'll lose to Bristol City and that'll REALLY cheer people up. For the benefit of [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION], I hope Barnes gets sent off after 30 seconds for headbutting the referee, Greer scores a couple of own goals in the first ten minutes and is withdrawn, and then CMS hits a couple of shots out of the stadium and gets substituted. And we lose 5-0. Perfect night for him, presumably.

odds must be pretty good for that...couple of quid on it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But that shows that we do have a defensive problem. We should be able to hold on to the game in the last dew minutes, not every side has to concede in the last 5 minutes and its happened too many times this season.
Hull
Wolves
Huddersfield
Bolton

I agree with that. Those late goals have cost us 5 points in 3 of those games, fortunately we had a 2 goal cushion at Huddersfield.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So you think that kooshak is better than the Bolton keeper?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Greer is class.

(In a different style to), along with Cullip, they are the best centre halves the Albion's had in the last 18-odd years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Greer is not very good in the air but the best central defender on the ground but unfortunately his weakness in the air is shown up when El Abd doesnt play because for his size Dunk is even worse.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So you think that kooshak is better than the Bolton keeper?

If that was aimed at me, then Kuszczak is clearly better than Bogdan. Woeful goalie, very lucky to be at a club like Bolton, let alone playing! But I don't think Kuszczak is much better than Ankergren. Better reactions but less ability with his feet and just as dodgy with crosses.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If that was aimed at me, then Kuszczak is clearly better than Bogdan. Woeful goalie, very lucky to be at a club like Bolton, let alone playing! But I don't think Kuszczak is much better than Ankergren. Better reactions but less ability with his feet and just as dodgy with crosses.

I agree with most of that except for the dodgy at crosses as he claims most of them and those that he doesn't he punches well clear of the goal area. Most of the saves Bogdan made you would expect your keeper to make because they were at the perfect height for a diving keeper. I think that Freedman would be disappointed if he hadnt saved them. The penalty was just a very poorly taken effort

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How could you possibly know that?

Greer just wants to keep his place

9:00am Saturday 17th November 2012 in Albion By Andy Naylor
Gordon Greer Gordon Greer

Gordon Greer has targeted remaining a regular to secure his Albion future.

The captain heads a long list of players out of contract at the end of the season.

His appearance-related deal gives him the chance to cement his stay and possibly end his career with the Seagulls.

Greer, 32 next month, told The Argus: “It would be nice, because it’s a great club. I love it here but at the same time you can never look too far down the line in football.

“I’ve got this year left on my contract, so it would obviously be great to play the amount of games I need to play to hopefully earn another contract and stay here for a lot longer but it’s not really in the players’ hands these days.

“It’s with the manager and the chairman, so it’s up to us as individuals to try to perform as best we can and hopefully the powers that be still want you around.”

Greer’s fellow central defenders Adam El-Abd and Lewis Dunk are also out of contract next summer, along with Ashley Barnes and Gary Dicker.

“It’s really important that the team does well,” Greer said. “I am always a big believer in it’s all about the team, not individuals, but at the same time you need to think about your own career.

“This is our livelihoods and a lot of the players have got families, so it’s as important that you try to look after yourself as well.

“If the team is doing well and you are part of a winning team then you will be okay.”

Gus is on the look out for at least one centre half to strengthen the side and hopes to bring them in during the next transfer window and I believe the club scouts were looking at a couple of Hungarian born players very recently.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Blackwell didn't play enough games to judge. Morgan was class for us, as good as we have had.

Morgan is probably the best in past 20 years. Blackwell played about 20 games but suffered from injury - looked a very good player when he did play.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gus is on the look out for at least one centre half to strengthen the side and hopes to bring them in during the next transfer window and I believe the club scouts were looking at a couple of Hungarian born players very recently.

Fair play, I need to read the Argus! I wonder if Greer will suddenly drop out of the team then.. I think we will need to improve at centre back for next season, but for now Greer is our best centre back.

Blackwell didn't play enough games to judge. Morgan was class for us, as good as we have had.

Blackwell was very good, Morgan was excellent but Greer has been easily the best of the lot. Over 100 games, League 1 title and top 10 in the Championship. Greer is right up there with the best in our history and for me, probably only second behind Danny Cullip in my lifetime.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Greer's problem is that he is far too negative. If you watch him, when he receives the ball, his instinct is to look for a back or side pass rather than forward and because he is hesitant, too many times is he unable to use Bruno or Bridcutt because those at options are closed down. When he does pass to Bruno or Dunk, he just tends to roll the ball to them rather than put a bit of zip in the pass which means they then get closed down quickly. The OP is right that he doesn't win enough headers for his stature. He also doesn't control the line quick enough and because of that it tends to remain too deep.

He has been a great player for us but I would prefer to see El Abd and Dunk given a run.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Great comment about 'our tallest player' on the Roar yesterday, 6'3 tall, 5'11 when he jumps!

Also, when he has the ball, with time at the back, the midfield & forward playerd must be so frustrated because he takes so long to release it they can't make their moves so, almost inevitably, it goes back to keeper or square.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't know if your misspelling of his name is intentional, but there are two M's in Lammie. BTW, his first name was actually Archibald.
And his wife was lovely and briefly taught at my secondary school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here