Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lay off Barnes. Spare a thought for Greer

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Barnes is shit. Deep down we all know that. Some just can't except it. Hopefully today Gus has seen enough, and we wont have to play with 10 men any more :lol:

But

Greer is the other glaring weak link. As soon as him and Barnes are out of the side the better. But I fear we will have to wait until January for our new centre half. Big tough Jock Gordon, who cannot win a header to save his life.

Can anyone remember the last time Greer won a 50/50 in the air. I can't.

Postioning is awful. Watch him the next time the oppostion keeper has the ball
Can't win a header.
Gets pushed off the ball if someone as much as breathes on him.
Doesn't push the defence and plays too deep. Can't lead the defence, let alone the team.
Other than that. Class player!!!

IMO we have a team today of 9 players who can challenge at the top of the table, and Greer and Barnes who would struggle to get in most sides in this division (any in Barnes' case)

We are so close to mounting a serious challenge, yet so far.

Keeper - Best in Division
Full Backs - Get in most sides in division
Dunk - Getting better every game
El Abd - Gives 100% but not really a top championship player, but we all love him. Brighton lad.
Bridcutt - get in any side in this division
Buckley - get in any side in thsi division
Orlandi - Looks special
CMS - if a side plays to his strengths - unplayable - we don't, and I think he'll be off in January as is my understanding
Crofts/Hammond - Would get in "most" sides
Dobbie and Hoskins - If given a run I think they will surprise a lot of people who doubt them

Barnes - Cant see him getting another championship club. Squad player in Division one if that
Greer - The same. Too lightweight.

That is all.

Carry on with your day, and have a lovely Sunday.

Great. A thread singling out two players for unnecessary abuse. Pathetic.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As i said on another thread he hoofed ball upfield in 95th min when could have rolled it out to waste time or just boot it off for a throw by the halfway line.

I seem to remember Casper Ankergren being SLATED on here last season after doing the same against Leeds...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well we've only conceded 16 goals so I wouldnt say defensively we have an issue.

All of the goals we have conceded in the last mins shouldn't have mattered, we had enough chances in the last three games to have won easily. So like I say the problem is up the other end. We concede late because we keep defending so deep holding on to a slim lead that should be 3 or 4. We cannot keep missing 6-8 chances a game and expect to win games.

Agree .. All of our issues are with the strikers which includes CMS, he seemed more out of the game than Barnes yesterday, at least Barnes was getting into positions to shoot albeit that he missed which was more then CMS managed

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Exactly what I said on the other thread!

Spooky! But wise. Very wise.

The world didn't end yesterday because we didn't win a game of football we should have. I think people want to remember that. I think people were absolutely delighted by the equaliser, gives them something to moan and cry about until tuesday, when if we're lucky we'll lose to Bristol City and that'll REALLY cheer people up. For the benefit of [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION], I hope Barnes gets sent off after 30 seconds for headbutting the referee, Greer scores a couple of own goals in the first ten minutes and is withdrawn, and then CMS hits a couple of shots out of the stadium and gets substituted. And we lose 5-0. Perfect night for him, presumably.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agree .. All of our issues are with the strikers which includes CMS, he seemed more out of the game than Barnes yesterday, at least Barnes was getting into positions to shoot albeit that he missed which was more then CMS managed

They were both poor yesterday, I don't buy the 'at least he is getting into positions though'

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Spooky! But wise. Very wise.

The world didn't end yesterday because we didn't win a game of football we should have. I think people want to remember that. I think people were absolutely delighted by the equaliser, gives them something to moan and cry about until tuesday, when if we're lucky we'll lose to Bristol City and that'll REALLY cheer people up. For the benefit of [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION], I hope Barnes gets sent off after 30 seconds for headbutting the referee, Greer scores a couple of own goals in the first ten minutes and is withdrawn, and then CMS hits a couple of shots out of the stadium and gets substituted. And we lose 5-0. Perfect night for him, presumably.

If that was to happen, it would be easy to spot Mr Burns, he would be the one coming in his pants.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
As i said on another thread he hoofed ball upfield in 95th min when could have rolled it out to waste time or just boot it off for a throw by the halfway line.

I assumed that Kuszczak kicking it upfield would be the end and so did most of the ground. If you want to question that, then you can also question why we were offside when holding it in the corners once and also messed up a short corner in injury time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said Greer stopped us from going in 1-0 DOWN.

And we all know how well we come back from being behind.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Suggest what you like. Its a free country.

It's not another excuse to have a dig at Barnes. I started another one for that. This ones about Greer. I think the clues in the text. Get your detective hat on.

I haven't revived any threads, but thats a good idea Edna.

Come on Edna, deep down thats what you wanted me to do isn't it. Drag up that old thread for 2 years ago, and say I told you so.

Good police work there old girl. :clap:

Except you're threads from two years ago were saying Barnes wasn't even up to playing non league football. It is sad that people like you seem to take pleasure in our players having bad games so they can slate them. It is pathetic.

As for Barnes, yes he did have a poor game and probably should be dropped for a couple of games but he has been a fantastic signing for us considering how much we paid for him and it is sad to see him getting the abuse he gets.

I will ignore your comments on Greer because that wasn't really the aim of this thread except to say he played well yesterday.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

he didn't have Barnes or Painter to throw it to Oh no wait a minute one of those is shit and the other useless..........but we were 1-0 up until they went off.
people forget how much Barnes does in defence
Oh no hang on a minute this is a Greer is shit thread
Oh no hang on a minute or is this a they are all shit thread or is it that the OP is talking bollox

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
Well we've only conceded 16 goals so I wouldnt say defensively we have an issue.

All of the goals we have conceded in the last mins shouldn't have mattered, we had enough chances in the last three games to have won easily. So like I say the problem is up the other end. We concede late because we keep defending so deep holding on to a slim lead that should be 3 or 4. We cannot keep missing 6-8 chances a game and expect to win games.

But that shows that we do have a defensive problem. We should be able to hold on to the game in the last dew minutes, not every side has to concede in the last 5 minutes and its happened too many times this season.
Hull
Wolves
Huddersfield
Bolton

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I seem to remember Casper Ankergren being SLATED on here last season after doing the same against Leeds...

I think the difference is that as far as I remember, Bolton worked the ball up the field, giving fans the chance to forget how they got possession and giving our entire team a chance to stop the ball being returned, whereas Casper's punt was returned with a punt from their keeper into our area giving most of our team no chance of stopping it.

I think Kuszczak's time wasting was more costly - it was so obvious, the ref had to add more time on to the added time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've been critical of Greer recently. Despite managing to be in the team that has the best defensive record, his performances have not been as good as they were last season. His refusal to pass to Calderon when he deputised for Bruno was frustrating, and his wayward crossfield passes equally so.

But he had good game yesterday (other than his passes to Dunk always curving behind him - not once did he pass the ball in a straight line or ahead of dunk, meaning he had to stop and drop back to collect it - but that didn't cost s anything yesterday).

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Heaven forbid that on a football forum someone posts threads about our players!

I suppose you prefer more threads about who's had the biggest dump this morning or the odds on us getting a dusting of snow next week???!!!

I would have won that hands down this morning

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Barnes - Cant see him getting another championship club. Squad player in Division one if that
Greer - The same. Too lightweight.

So let me get this straight you are saying that a player who scored 20 goals in League 1 and 14 in the Championship (mostly played on the left as opposed to up top) and is currently a regular starter in the team 8th in the Championship, and the captain of a team who reached the play off final in League 1 before leading his new team to the top of of League 1 followed by a top 10 finish in the Championship and is current captain of the joint best defence in the Championship would both only be squad players in League 1 at best?

Brilliant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here