Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest rumour about why we sold players (Sporting Options)

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Re: Latest rumour about why we sold players

bha.fatboy said:
Got a phone call from one of my Journo buddies last night who said that the reason Currie and Cullip were sold was not to help the Falmer pot. It was due to more than one director ( not just Dick Knight ) having their hands in the Sporting Options firm that got done recently. From what he was saying the directors had to find £500k to stop Administrators trying to go after the club for monies owed.

Let me re-itterate that this is only a rumour and that it is being looked into quite closely by various journalists to find out if there is any truth in it.

If it is true then it is not good for the club that we have lost 2 key players but is good that we have stopped Administrators as we could not afford to lose 10 points.

Am I misunderstanding you or is your journo friend seriously suggesting that the directors of Brighton & Hove Albion have sold 2 of your players and will be diverting that money to the administrators of Sporting Options?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Re: Re: Latest rumour about why we sold players

SussexHoop said:
Am I misunderstanding you or is your journo friend seriously suggesting that the directors of Brighton & Hove Albion have sold 2 of your players and will be diverting that money to the administrators of Sporting Options?

Laughable, isn't it ? Well it would be if it wasn't SO SERIOUS, and at such an important time in the club's history. :angry: :angry:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't believe newspapers, or the "Red Top" journolist. They will look for the simple story, and complete the bare minimum of resarch.

If there is any truth in this story I await with baited breat to hear it from a source I can belive in.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Re: Re: Latest rumour about why we sold players

SussexHoop said:

I imagine so, yes!

That money could possiblt belong to the creditors of Sporting Options, not to the club.

If the money invested in loan capital was used for the management of the club, if that money had to be released, the selling of players or staff redundancies would be the only viable solution.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Believe it or not, I know the chap in charge of the Sporting Options liquidation, though I won't be able to speak to him before Monday.

Due to Betfair stepping in to effectively take over SO's client debts, there's not necessarily a huge amount owing anyway, though there will be the basic costs attached to any company failure.

I was going to give him a call on Monday anyway on another issue, so I'll ask him if there's any comeback for the Albion, though I'd be amazed if there were.

Company law seems designed to keep as many people out of court as possible. Kevin Griffiths might seem an obvious case for an outfit with arrows on, but there's no sign of any prosecution at the moment..

Re: Re: Re: Latest rumour about why we sold players

disgruntled h blocker said:
I imagine so, yes!

That money could possiblt belong to the creditors of Sporting Options, not to the club.

If the money invested in loan capital was used for the management of the club, if that money had to be released, the selling of players or staff redundancies would be the only viable solution.

Errr.....the transfer money belongs to the company called B&HA. Leading shareholders can't just siphon off the money of a company to pay their personal debts. It's called embezzlement and is a criminal offence.

Still, 10 out of 10 for this cracking rumour, the best one I've heard for a while. The challenge surely is on now to work Jeffrey Archer into the next one - I know you guys can do it.

El Presidente said:
Think the story shows that journalists know f*** all about basic company law

If the guy in question is a sports journo, I reckon he'll know f*** all about anything important. They're the dumb blondes of the profession, I'm afraid :lolol:

D

Deleted User X18H

yeah but I,ve got a journo friend and last night she said I will have a Salad Nicoise and a little later she said I'll have a half a lager top...............and that I swear is true.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Absolute Bollox, If this were the case, it would be out in the open by now, as has been stated before on this thread, the moving of money owned by BHAFC or holding companies to other - non-related companies (companies are not in anyway linked by directors, shareholders or anyother form of ownership if they are Limited or PLC) is TOTALLY ILLEGAL and would end up in probable fraud charges and imprisonment.

No way would anybody with an ounce of brain do this, especially with the media all over it. It strikes me a Journo is looking for a story and stiring up the waters to see what happens...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Re: Latest rumour about why we sold players

London Irish said:
Errr.....the transfer money belongs to the company called B&HA. Leading shareholders can't just siphon off the money of a company to pay their personal debts. It's called embezzlement and is a criminal offence.

I am not saying that anybody associated with BHA are involved in embezzlement but are you saying that because it is a criminal offence no director or chairman of a football club would commit such an act.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Personally, I think this is rubbish. But did we sell them to pay off a creditor?

First time on here since Friday, so apologies if this has already done the rounds.

However, rumour circulating around F-Block on Friday night was that we sold DC et al because someone in the Sporting Options (name?) needed their money back to pay creditors. Said bloke had invested in the Albion, but was up shit creek cos of the betting website going belly-up, and needed his cash back fast.

Surely this can't be true? :nono:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
At the end of the day, Ipswich and Sheffield United came with offers for the respective players - if the story was true, the implication is that we asked them to do so. Bit of luck otherwise, eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here