Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last Nights Win - Best Performance By A Brighton Team Ever?

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Judging by the reaction on both NSC and Cardiff's forum, along with the papers, 5Live and that fat bloke on Sky who comically didn't do his homework on us, the general consensus regarded our performance last night as outstanding.

Maybe this thread needs to be bounced later in the season - we can then measure how good a performance this really was.

Hopefully come the season's end, we'd have churned out a dozen even better performances against other Championship sides and this would have just been deemed a good performance as opposed to the incredible one many people are making out.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I am pretty sure the is a company on line that sold loads of old BHA stuff?
If not what better place than here to centralize some old stuff on DVD's and make them available for cost price or cheap at least?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Brighton 4 Man City 0 - in the cup final run - we crushed them - possibly biggest ever win against a top flight team?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Good question.

Didn't go last night (congrats to those who did) but was glued to the commentary on 5Live. Sounded like a convincing win that will certainly make the Championship take notice of us but also sounded as if there was lots of wasted chances and possession by us going foward. Plus the Cardiff defence sounded poor and their front line was impotent which has to be taken into account.

There have been several periods since the 70's when we have tonked average opposition, especially in the Peter Ward years, but on the whole these were teams that deserved to be thrashed eg Mansfield, Preston, Man. C and Pompey at the Goldstone where we just destroyed them - a bit like we did to Posh and Charlton last year.

I vaguely recall a cup game against either Chelsea or West Ham in the late 60's probably when we were still an average unfancied third div side and gave them a heck of a game at the Goldstone that we didn't win and then lost the replay but played our socks off?

But overall I would say that our best ever performances should be judged against the very top teams who are at full strength such as the wins over Liverpool when European Champs and in the first FA Cup final game against Man U which we should have won with what wasn't a very strong Albion side (at Wembley and with 40k Albion fans singing their hearts out). Those were games when you had to pinch yourself that it was us who made such opposition look ordinary. Makes me shudder to think of those games - wow!

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Last night's performance wasn't nearly as complete as the Peterborough one, IMHO there's a lot more to come.

Wasnt far off though considering Cardiff are a top established championship side, there was 25 mins in the first half when Cardiff raised their game and we had to be very organised and strong defensively as well as playing our passing game. This game said much more about how we can adapt and vary our style of play if need be....no Noone, Buckley or LuaLua and yet our midfield still looked very strong......and ive run out of words to descibe how good CMS was last night!!!!!! But i agree a lot more to come from this team.......what a season we're gonna have!!!!!!!!
Not sure about top performance ive ever seen but well up there!!!

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
One thing is for sure - every game I've seen since the Tranmere game in 2010 has been lightyears better than anything served up since the turn of the century - just being able to do threads like this is a privilege we must be thankful for and enjoy the good times.....pay Gus whatever he wants, he's got to stay!!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
For me I would say the most complete Albion performance I've seen was in December 1981 when we won 2-0 at Southampton when they had Keegan, Shilton etc in the team. No luck unlike when we won at Liverpool and Forest , just a total suffocation of a better team.
Other performances I'd rate would be Newcastle in May 1979, so much riding on it and game over at half time, Millwall at home in the play off semi in 1991 when we ripped them apart, Charlton at home in October 1983 when we were 5-0 up at half time and won 7-0 and recently I'd say Orient at home on NYD when we took them to pieces and their results after showed they weren't mugs.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
There have been a lot of outstanding games over the years, and last nights will be one that will be remembered. Amongst those I can recall are the defeat of Ipswich in the League Cup with a plethora of internationals. The Liverpool cup game when they did not even bother to have a broadcast camera in the ground because they thought we would be stuffed. Wardys hat trick at Wolves on a freezing winters night, and many more treasured memories of our great team.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
i think we are confusing overall football performance, with 'fighting' performance achieving the result with the appropriate excitement.
I said after Peterborough that it was the most comnplete TEAM performance that I had seen in over 50 years, with no let-up from start to finish against so-called 'quality' opposition who were committed and trying. Last night came into that category.
We have had several fighting perfomrances but rode our luck. Liverpool 2-1 in the cup away I seem to have spent most the last 20 minutes with my head in my hands as they missed good chances, not least of all a penalty. Forest 1-0 away when Euro champs was much the same - a dogged display deserving our luck. In the Semi-final at Highbury, we were very flat and vulnerable around the time that Wednesday scored.
We have trashed many weak teams over the years, when several of our players have turned in good individual performances.
Incidentally I think one of the best 'team' performances was holding on to 2-0 that night in Hull with only 9 men with all the journeyman pros and local lads that we had then (until Walsall later showed us how to score with only 9 men). That night the fans and the defence seemed to become one at the supermarket end. How times have changed!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last night's performance wasn't nearly as complete as the Peterborough one, IMHO there's a lot more to come.

Hmmm

Yes but Peterboro had ten men so that takes the gloss off it a little bit.

Im sure we would have steamrollered them anyway but as it stands for most of the match it was 10 v 11 and boy did we make that extra man count.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Last nights performance was the best i have witnessed. Peterborough last year was amazing but this seemed a differrent ball game.

Last year at Peteborough it was just clear we were better than them and they also had 10 men and seem to surrender and accept the gulf in class thus resulting in the piss taking football.

Last night we went to Cardiff as complete underdogs yet we won every tackle, every first ball, every header and we completely tore them apart. Their CB Gerrard looked like he wanted the season to finish again after what CMS done to him last night.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
so what games would you rank as the best you've seen?

Any that Wardy played in were superb. Please correct me if I'm wrong. He just created an atmosphere that was electric.

Games that spring to mind apart from those were:

Newcastle v Brighton (1979)
Sheffield Wed v Brighton (1983)
Liverpool v Brighton (1991)

There are so many that were amazing performances. But it's a good time to be a BHA fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here