Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Land's End to John o'Groats

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
A friend and I are planning to cycle this sometime this year. I was thinking end of August would be a good time, Weather will be starting to cool and would give us 4 months to train.

Can anyone offer an advice?

Last edited:

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
My uncle did this both on a motorbike and then on a bicycle. I can ask him for info if you're seriously interested and not just having a laugh.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if someone offers you a parrott, dont buy it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
ginadim said:
My uncle did this both on a motorbike and then on a bicycle. I can ask him for info if you're seriously interested and not just having a laugh.

We are serious. Been thinking of doing it for ages.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Blimey mate you are determined I will give you that!!!!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Blimey mate you are determined I will give you that!!!!

It's more my mate than me, he has gone fitness mad. He's just got back from doing the Paris marathon and phoned me today to say he was sorting stuff out for this. I do want to do it, just my arse is sore enough as it is.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
One thing I read about to the LE to JO route is to post your clean clothes to the hostels that you'll be staying. This reduces your weight by a fair bit. Also, make sure you have a good road bike (not an mountain bike) with plenty of "scabs" for those annoying puctures. Drink lots of fluid, and set yourself acheivable targets each day. The main point to remember though is.... HAVE FUN

Oh, and don't fall off.

Whilst training make sure it is progressive, don't try to do 50 miles on your first outing, as it will only put you off. Start with small local loops every other day, then gradually expand on these. The recommendation is to ride 70% of your target distance when training when coming upto the event.

I highly recommend this book.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycling-M...6679621?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177417017&sr=8-4

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Woodchip said:
One thing I read about to the LE to JO route is to post your clean clothes to the hostels that you'll be staying. This reduces your weight by a fair bit. Also, make sure you have a good road bike (not an mountain bike) with plenty of "scabs" for those annoying puctures. Drink lots of fluid, and set yourself acheivable targets each day. The main point to remember though is.... HAVE FUN

Oh, and don't fall off.

Whilst training make sure it is progressive, don't try to do 50 miles on your first outing, as it will only put you off. Start with small local loops every other day, then gradually expand on these. The recommendation is to ride 70% of your target distance when training when coming upto the event.

I highly recommend this book.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycling-M...6679621?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177417017&sr=8-4

Cheers Woodchip, thats some decent advice. :thumbsup:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Woodchip said:
Not a problem. I thought I'd shock everyone on here and post something sensible.

I was a little surprised but do appraciate it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good on ya, Les. It is very easy to get stuck in the general hum drum of life - a desire to do something out of the ordinary and radical is always a good idea.

I will mop your brow if I see you training in the gym.

I am keen to do something similar and have reached day three of a smoking and drinking amnesty, with an aim to last for a month and beyond.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Barrel of Fun said:
I am keen to do something similar and have reached day three of a smoking and drinking amnesty, with an aim to last for a month and beyond.

Good luck BoF. I was quite suprised to see you smoking when I met you. I thought you were the type who would know better. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here