Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance (Canarian Seagull), RIP

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Just found a photo of the bar, I was thinking of Jason and Debbie.

Lance had a place not far from the hotel we stayed at.

Everest apologies Jason it was, liked a meal, as we all do, I seem to recall.

Someone told me the bar had gone bust is this true?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
As he will often be remembered!
p885620701.jpg

Another classic pose:
p652331119.jpg

A little tribute is here.
http://rozsouth.zenfolio.com/cannarian/slideshow

http://rozsouth.zenfolio.com/cannarian

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm sure there will have been more than one but was that the Friday night when the game was called off due to the swamp at Withdean but he put about £500 behind the bar of the LN anyway? It was about the only time I saw him looking genuinely downcast was when he saw that only half of that money had been drunk away, despite people's best efforts.

I think have the photo of him invading the Goldstone pitch in his Navy outfit on the pitch on my PC at home, I'll post it here later - edit, Roz has already done so.

(And if this isn't true - and the great man has always been far from averse from wind-ups, pretending as I recall to be the Black Widow and chatting up myself, Hart's Shirt and others - then it's well worth recalling the fella anyway).

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Canarian was one of the most generous blokes I've ever met. When I was unemployed and had no money to get in to Withdean, Lance insisted on giving me a ticket for the NSC Sponsored Game. It must have been over a hundred quid or so, but it wasn't an issue.

That Black Widow stich-up by Lance is permanently etched into my memory. The worst bit was turning up at the Nelson for a prearranged rendez-vous with the BW, seeing a very ugly lady dressed in black, and thinking it was her.

Great photos, Roz, especially that one with Harvs, myself and Lance in the Hawaiian shirts. :laugh:

Canarian's remedy for the incessant bitching and point-scoring that is so evident on NSC these days would have been to have invited us all down the pub, got the first round in, cosied up to the nearest attractive lady, and started the singing.

Memories are made of this.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Canarian was one of the most generous blokes I've ever met. When I was unemployed and had no money to get in to Withdean, Lance insisted on giving me a ticket for the NSC Sponsored Game. It must have been over a hundred quid or so, but it wasn't an issue.

Canarian's remedy for the incessant bitching and point-scoring that is so evident on NSC these days would have been to have invited us all down the pub, got the first round in, cosied up to the nearest attractive lady, and started the singing.

What sad, sad news.
Those words from Hart's Shirt sum up Lance perfectly.

I was privileged to be part of that first NSC sponsored match. I saw Lance stuff several notes into the pot we passed around for Eva, the lady who served our food. I think her tip that day exceeded her regular pay.

A great man. One of the best.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I know its been muted by EastLondonSeagull on here but we should have a huge mosaic at Falmer.

I did a massive one (5000 faces) for the last world cup.

Would be a fitting tribute to all those who will never see Falmer... my dad included.

I WOULD HAPPILY ORGANISE IT..

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Never met him but he sounds just the type of fan that typifies the great spirit of BHAFC.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Lance
I don't think I ever met him (I did meet a few Albion fans while in Tenneriffe but it was a bit of a blur)
sad days when one of us goes

gezza01

Feb 18, 2004
new milton hants
RIP, a loveable rogue. Fantastic times we had in the Lord Nelson with Mrs Gezza and I, together with many trips into Withdeans hospitality suite.

Most famously he even came back to stay in Tunbridge Wells for my wedding back in 2001 - a week of beer beer beer and more beer

RIP Lance I had got worried about 18 months ago as you moved and could not get contact, at that time he was suffering from stomach cancer and was very poorly.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Everest apologies Jason it was, liked a meal, as we all do, I seem to recall.

Someone told me the bar had gone bust is this true?

Haven't been for a few years, but I heard that too.
I was in there when I got a text saying B&H council had voted Yes for Falmer. Just then Kerry Mayo walked in, so we toasted the news with Jason, even though it was breakfast time.
Met up with Lance a couple of times over there. He once took me to his place to show me the stuff he had for the charity auction. A few bevvies were downed that evening. He was a top TOP bloke.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Bloody hell if that is true then that is really sad. I'm sure Simster and others will remember the 1st NSC sponsored game when Lance almost single-handedly drunk the hospitality bar dry.

I sincerely hope it IS a wind-up.

Yes I warmly remember Lance from the first NSC sponsored game. That was a long heavy day of drinking. I fondly remember the hospitality bar being empty not long after the game.

If a recall correctly I think Lance was involved with a radio station in Tenerfe.

I am sure I have a photo somewhere in the house of all of us from the sponsored game kindly sent to me by Lush.

RIP Lance

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Really sad news. Roz, please can you send me some pics for Sat's programme.

I remember getting hammered with him (and all the Albion management staff) in the Barcelona Bar after winning the Championship in 2001. A truly legendary evening, following the Macclesfield Town game.

That summer he sorted out a brilliant holiday that summer to Tenerife for a load of the players... Also recall a couple of boozy lunches with him and Charlie that same summer when he came over to Rustington for the odd day out. Well liked and a huge Albion fan.

RIP

gezza01

Feb 18, 2004
new milton hants
yes was involved with a radio station in Tenerife, he must of went back to Tenerife around 18 months ago as when i last saw him he said he wanted to die away from England. When did he die then ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think I remember meeting him at the first REMF match, back in 2001. V.Sad.

that is when I recall meeting him...really genuinely nice bloke and I also agree with the comment that you couldn't but him a drink.

Well, another long standing fan that will never see us run out at Falmer:(

RIP Lance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here