Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance (Canarian Seagull), RIP

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't know but he could not have been much more than about 50. Too many good guys going.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
First I've heard of him but was obviously a top bloke what sad news
RIP indeed.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Very sad news indeed. RIP

Am I right in thinking he ran the Marina bar in Tenerife?

No that was a bloke called Darren who came from Brighton but used to own a bookies in Worthing near the Hare and Hounds.

Lance was a regular at the bar and I remember having a few with him there the night before England played Brazil in 2002.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
RIP Canarian.

I never met him, but as a youngster I vaguely remember one of Her Majesty's finest, in full dress uniform, running on the pitch during an evening cup tie, versus Chelsea I think. While trawling through this board I found out it was him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
RIP Canarian.

I never met him, but as a youngster I vaguely remember one of Her Majesty's finest, in full dress uniform, running on the pitch during an evening cup tie, versus Chelsea I think. While trawling through this board I found out it was him.
I don't think it was an evening game, I think it was the Saturday match against Chelsea in 1967. Yes, there is a newspaper picture of a young Lance in his naval uniform running across the Goldstone pitch prior to the match. I'm not sure if someone like Lord B has it?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I don't think it was an evening game, I think it was the Saturday match against Chelsea in 1967. Yes, there is a newspaper picture of a young Lance in his naval uniform running across the Goldstone pitch prior to the match. I'm not sure if someone like Lord B has it?

it's been on here before, maybe still is somewhere.

loveable old rogue was lance

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
No that was a bloke called Darren who came from Brighton but used to own a bookies in Worthing near the Hare and Hounds.

Lance was a regular at the bar and I remember having a few with him there the night before England played Brazil in 2002.

Just found a photo of the bar, I was thinking of Jason and Debbie.

Lance had a place not far from the hotel we stayed at.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
An hilarious bloke for whom the words "lovable" and "rogue" could have been invented. I hate the term "larger than life character" generally but it simply suited him perfectly.

I'll never forget the aftermath of trying to have one drink for every two of his during a very messy evening that ended up down the Gloucester back in the day, around '99-00: just forget it. I was still chucking up copiously when the great man was knocking on my door at 7pm the next evening to drag me to the pub to start doing it all again.

I don't honestly care where the money came from or to whom he may or may not have owed money: he was a brilliant laugh and just brilliant, entertaining company. And more than one of our players enjoyed his hospitality in the Canaries too.

Someone, somewhere here will have photographic evidence of his giant smiling face beaming down on a full pint glass balanced on the horizontal bit at the top of his vast and tatooed breadbasket. Bloody NSC LEGEND.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... loveable old rogue was lance
Indeed. I remember drinking with him (and you and a few others) down the Nelson one evening. I was able to match him pint for pint but at 11:00 he walked out on his own two feet whereas I had to be poured into a taxi ...

(Still hoping it's not true)

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Very sad news. They broke the mould after they made Lance! Amongst the very many memories I particularly recall Eva serving him two dinners at the sponsored match. "You've got to build him up", she said....

I have a whole series of pictures which show him at his most "ebulliant". I'll be sorting these out and putting a small tribute together but in the meantime, here's the famous shot from his Navy Days:

p519395316-3.jpg

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Indeed. I remember drinking with him (and you and a few others) down the Nelson one evening. I was able to match him pint for pint but at 11:00 he walked out on his own two feet whereas I had to be poured into a taxi ...

i'm sure that every one of us who had the pleasure has that memory brovion!

sadly, giving that he had heart problems back in the day, his demise doesn't come as a terrible surprise...........a great shame

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

I'm sure there will have been more than one but was that the Friday night when the game was called off due to the swamp at Withdean but he put about £500 behind the bar of the LN anyway? It was about the only time I saw him looking genuinely downcast was when he saw that only half of that money had been drunk away, despite people's best efforts.

I think have the photo of him invading the Goldstone pitch in his Navy outfit on the pitch on my PC at home, I'll post it here later - edit, Roz has already done so.

(And if this isn't true - and the great man has always been far from averse from wind-ups, pretending as I recall to be the Black Widow and chatting up myself, Hart's Shirt and others - then it's well worth recalling the fella anyway).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here