Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of quality signings

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We are not a lot stronger than the end of last season ,infact without Lua Lua i would even say we are not as strong.Crofts was our captain and player of the season,Sparrow has had 1 game so lets not get too carried away,Painter and calderon were here last season anyway.Forster has gone,the 2 Argies could be hit or miss,the only real improvement hopefully will be Greer.I agree with the original post.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Disagree that we haven't signed anyone that is quality. Just last week we signed the goalkeeper who played most of last season for the team that finished second in this league! Slightly disappointed that we haven't signed a left winger or top striker, but Gus will know what he's doing :thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can't really fail to be a bit disapointed. No marquis signings and major cash not spent.

The players we have got are bloody good but we are short of top 6 until we sort this out. I don't think anyone would of accepted being 3 quality signings short (especially as one is a striker) going into our 3rd game.

I accept Gus been working his balls off and its no ones fault....but disapointment is still allowed.

Lets just pray we can still get these players in otherwise it really does look like mid table for us which whilst is ok is a re-assesment of the optimism we all shared 4 weeks ago

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My disappointment is that in May, Gus said that he wanted his signings and squad in early, before the players returned for preseason training but that wasnt so

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Unfortunately, we are already committed to far greater spending than either of the two you mention. However, it is in the form of a £93million stadium.

QUOTE]

this is gathering momentum but it is stated by bloom we have 10% increase on the million we spent last summer and also in TODAYS paper we have extra money for a midfielder.

Money is there , we just need to spend it

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Not dissapointed, but had hoped of a couple of big name, big money players, in particular a striker but it looks like that could still be happening. Dont forget, Paynter has looked superb so far, and Calderon was wanted by Southampton as well as Greer who was captain of last years play-off finalists. I think a bit of dissapointment has arisen because of the spending of Huddersfield and Southampton, which has kind of dampened many of our signings.

And which was always going to happen. While we have crowds of 6,000 approx, where do you think the money will come from to pay the wages of these so-called'superstars that we are meant to be signing.
Who said there was going to be 'big money' players coming here.....i think its NSC rumours that have built this up.
People, really really need to get a reality check... as I think Gus has done !

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
We are not a lot stronger than the end of last season ,infact without Lua Lua i would even say we are not as strong.Crofts was our captain and player of the season,Sparrow has had 1 game so lets not get too carried away,Painter and calderon were here last season anyway.Forster has gone,the 2 Argies could be hit or miss,the only real improvement hopefully will be Greer.I agree with the original post.

Yep, dont like to be negative but find myself in agreement. We've lost Lua Lua (at the moment) as you say, and Forster who was a key player for over half the season, and Crofts our captain. Sparrow seems a straight replacement for Crofts, and Greer although in a similar position will hopefully have a similar influence to Forster. The others were here already, and i personally dont really rate Barnes, would rather we kept Dickinson.
Yes we've signed some very good players, but we havent necessarily strengthened, more recaptured many of last seasons players.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
And which was always going to happen. While we have crowds of 6,000 approx, where do you think the money will come from to pay the wages of these so-called'superstars that we are meant to be signing.
Who said there was going to be 'big money' players coming here.....i think its NSC rumours that have built this up.

Well, according to some people yesterday, Ross Mcormack is realistic :facepalm::lolol:
Seriously though, I agree with you completely, I'm more than happy with the players have come in but just reiterating that I dont feel we have strengthened that much (as yet). Didnt know if your refering to me about a reality check either.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
what about the changed leon knight we know he can score goals and give him a short contract as i saw in the argus yesterday he is looking for a club local to kent

What is it about this little shit. Do people here have very short memories.
The bloke is a nightmare....wherever he has been , he has been a problem...and ending in the BSP ..and getting the boot.
Do you honestly think that is what we need here.
A leopard never changes its spots

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Money in from transfers, 10% increase on budget and todays Argus

So Tony Bloom is the answer

The Gus Bus

Aug 10, 2010
in gus, i trust.
he will bring in the right players to make sure we have a very good chance of going up this season, all this hype about who we have and haven't signed won't get us anywhere. gus will sign who he needs for the job, simple.

james93

Jan 18, 2009
Lewes
I'm sorry but we won last week away against last season's play off finalists. We put out a second string team and lost in the Carling,Milk,Coca Cola,two bob cup!! So two games into the season and Albion supporters are moaning. Give it ten games and if the players are not up to it then moan. What are you going to moan about next ? The fact that we will all get wet tomorrow !!!!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm sorry but we won last week away against last season's play off finalists. We put out a second string team and lost in the Carling,Milk,Coca Cola,two bob cup!! So two games into the season and Albion supporters are moaning. Give it ten games and if the players are not up to it then moan. What are you going to moan about next ? The fact that we will all get wet tomorrow !!!!

discussing mate. Its a forum

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Gus was fairly certain Xavi was going to sign,and that big centre forward Barcelona have who hasn't made it in Spain,he might do,and David Beckham on loan.........and that Deby midfielder with the cars and attitude,and Leon Knight could be alright.

The Gus Bus

Aug 10, 2010
and my mates, step-sister's brother saw a small argentinian outside brighton station, went by the name of messi apparently, going to sign in the next 24 hours, FOR SURE

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
It may be a bit simplistic but if Gus is happy then so am I. I trust him to obtain the right number and quality of players to get us out of this division - if not this season then next.

It's very easy to get caught up in the 'big name', fantasy football philosophy of signing people on reputation. I think if you asked 15 random fans of 15 other league one clubs they would bite our hands off for quite a few of our players...

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Marcos Painter - QUALITY
Inigo Calderon - QUALITY
Radostin Kishishev - QUALITY
Matt Sparrow - QUALITY
Gordon Greer - QUALITY
Casper Ankergren - QUALITY
Ashley Barnes - QUALITY

Were you expecting Lionel Messi?

This. Why oh why are some people so dissatisfied with what we have? Yes ideally we need a couple of more to complete the set but what we have is way better than previous seasons. We will get Lua Lua & Gus & TB are doing their level best to bring in the right striker not any old ponce just looking for somewhere to pick up a wage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here