Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of quality signings

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Anyone, like me, a bit disappointed at the lack of quality signings made by the club so far and the comparative lack of money spent?

Was under the impression we would set the league alight with a few 'names'.
Realise the window has a couple of weeks to go, but all the same was expecting a bit more to cover what has inevitably happened ie serious injury/suspensions.

Still concerned as to where the goals are going to come from.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Not dissapointed, but had hoped of a couple of big name, big money players, in particular a striker but it looks like that could still be happening. Dont forget, Paynter has looked superb so far, and Calderon was wanted by Southampton as well as Greer who was captain of last years play-off finalists. I think a bit of dissapointment has arisen because of the spending of Huddersfield and Southampton, which has kind of dampened many of our signings.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I don't think we can really complain about the lack of money being spent, look at the number of clubs who have narrowly escaped extinction in the last few weeks (Portsmouth, Southend, Cardiff). I would much rather TB be frugal and us actually have a club to support.

I would disagree with you on the number of quality signings made, although I would like to see some more. I think Painter, Angkergen, Greer, Sparrow, Kitchenchef are all quality.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyone, like me, a bit disappointed at the lack of quality signings made by the club so far and the comparative lack of money spent?

Realise the window has a couple of weeks to go, but all the same was expecting a bit more to cover what has inevitably happened ie serious injury/suspensions.

Marcos Painter - QUALITY
Inigo Calderon - QUALITY
Radostin Kishishev - QUALITY
Matt Sparrow - QUALITY
Gordon Greer - QUALITY
Casper Ankergren - QUALITY
Ashley Barnes - QUALITY

Were you expecting Lionel Messi?

D

Deleted User X18H

Matt Sparrow - QUALITY
Gordon Greer - QUALITY
Ashley Barnes - QUALITY

Now wait for it.............AGREE WITH HKFC! (there I've said it)

Current squad is well capable. New additions hinted at during supporters forum last night will enhance further.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Matt Sparrow - QUALITY
Gordon Greer - QUALITY
Ashley Barnes - QUALITY

Totally agree with the first two, not so much the second.

Ankergren isn't much better than Brez (if at all) and Barnes is fine as a 3rd choice but not what we need as a starter if we're looking at play-offs. Given we've sold about 500k's worth of players we haven't really spent as much as i'd have expected us to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Ankergren isn't much better than Brez (if at all) and Barnes is fine as a 3rd choice but not what we need as a starter if we're looking at play-offs. Given we've sold about 500k's worth of players we haven't really spent as much as i'd have expected us to.

But you have no idea what we've spent [on signing on fees, wages, etc]

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.

Ankergren IMO is far better than Brez.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Very happy with what we have but worried about scoring enough goals to be able to close down games.

Still think that will be resolved before the end of the month although not necessarily by splashing loads of dosh on a transfer fee

LuaLua will surely arrive and if the rumour is right we already have cover on the way for Navarro although wages for that may mean we miss out on a utility defender.

All-in-all I think we will be there or therabouts for an exciting end to the season at the right end of the table for a change

Could I add that I am GLAD we are not competing with Huddersfield and Southampton to buy our way to promotion. After losing our home and flirting with disaster in the all-too-recent past and with an eye on the "big" clubs who are currently sailing so close to the wind I just want a sustainable club that I can continue to support into my dotage. I supported us in the old 4th division right up to the 1st and back down again. I'd love to see the Albion in the ascendency again but most of all I just love to see the Albion..................

Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Top name players aren't going to sign for a club who play in an athletics stadium!

Falmer is still a year away and this will still impact our dealings in the transfer market

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I think we can do well with what we have got but we still need that winger and striker to put up a fight to be in the top 6 and then hopefully go on to get promoted. Maybe we could get a quick loan in to cover for Navs. Cant wait for tomorrow :albion:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
We've picked up a regular from a Championship team (Sparrow) and the captain of the playoff finalists last year (Greer). What "big names" were you expecting?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Top name players aren't going to sign for a club who play in an athletics stadium!

Falmer is still a year away and this will still impact our dealings in the transfer market

Disagree with that... players know that if they sign for 2 seasons or more, then they will play at THE best new stadium outside the Prem, AND we will offer at least 2 seasons to the quality players we still need... as Gus has said, we now need 4: top striker, left winger, Nav replacement, left-sided defender...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't get this obsession with how much we've spent - it's nothing to do with the money it's to do with how good the player is and how well he will fit into our squad and style of play. A player is only worth what a club will pay for him and has no real connection to his true ability.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't get this obsession with how much we've spent - it's nothing to do with the money it's to do with how good the player is and how well he will fit into our squad and style of play. A player is only worth what a club will pay for him and has no real connection to his true ability.

Spot on...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

I will get down with the kids and say.... This. :bhasign:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here