Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of Englishmen in team

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Hammond is English.
And let's be honest Mackail Smith, El Abd, Crofts, Barnes, Lua Lua are more English than they are Scottish, Egyptian, Welsh, Polish and Congolese.
Add to that 2 Scotsman in Greer and Dobbie and our Spanish contingent, 3 different nationalities of goalkeeper, no I'm not worried, in fact I love it

This - no worries in the slightest

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Not bothered in the least, not from a club point of view anyway. The only reason it worries me is that it shows we're not producing enough good players in England.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It is a shame that English coaches have failed to understand football and as a result English footballers seem to struggle to pass the ball to a player in the same shirt, and then move to a position to receive it back. Instead they have coached football by smacking 45 yard speculative passes to some big lump up front. Personally I'm very grateful we have a manager who wants nothing to do with such rubbish. When football starts being coached properly in England then I hope to see some more English players in the side, but not until then.

And not just English coaches, judging from the comments posted on NSC.

I'd say that quite a few fans still fail to understand how Gus wants the team to play (and some of those who have now console themselves by hoping there is a "Plan B"!)

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
It is a shame that English coaches have failed to understand football and as a result English footballers seem to struggle to pass the ball to a player in the same shirt, and then move to a position to receive it back. Instead they have coached football by smacking 45 yard speculative passes to some big lump up front. Personally I'm very grateful we have a manager who wants nothing to do with such rubbish. When football starts being coached properly in England then I hope to see some more English players in the side, but not until then.

The reason why England will never win anything internationally. We coach them wrong from from day one & the fact is, a player from Spain(or various other countries) will easily fit into Poyet' way of playing as they have better technical ability. A great case is Adam El-Abd. A completely different player pre Poyet. I would cringe at how bad his distribution was and now he is a superb defender. Am i worried about where players come from? No. Compare the team we had when Poyet first took over compared to now.

Completely agree with these two.

Oct 25, 2003
f*** english players, they're overpriced

imagine how many flair spaniards blackburn could've signed for the £8m they spent on rhodes

the more foreigners the better in my view

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009

This.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
The reason why England will never win anything internationally. We coach them wrong from from day one & the fact is, a player from Spain(or various other countries) will easily fit into Poyet' way of playing as they have better technical ability. A great case is Adam El-Abd. A completely different player pre Poyet. I would cringe at how bad his distribution was and now he is a superb defender. Am i worried about where players come from? No. Compare the team we had when Poyet first took over compared to now.

This

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If they're good enough, they're English enough as far as I'm concerned.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Is anybody else a little disappointed at the lack of English in our potential strongest starting 11? I tend to have a more enthusiasm for a team with more English players. At the moment we have more Spanish starters with Bruno, Vicente, Calderon, Lopez and Orlandi.

After transfer deadline day, it seems our only regular English players will be:

Bridge
Buckley
Bridcutt
Dunk
El Abd
Mackail Smith
Crofts
Barnes

Subs:
Painter
George Barker
Jake Forster-Caskey (from Jan)

How many do you want?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
English players are generally crap and overpriced. If you want to win something you don't fill your team with Englishmen do you?

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Spainflag-XXL-anim.gif

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
English players are generally crap and overpriced. If you want to win something you don't fill your team with Englishmen do you?

Indeed. If only the suits down Wembley Way could realise this fatal error - rather than obsess about those cheeky revenue streams...

huge

Mar 23, 2011
When I'm stood in the stand I really don't care what nationality anyone is who pulls on the blue and white. They can be from the moon for all I care. Especially if the football is good!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so in reality, playing three at the back and excepting theres no English keeper:

Dunk, El Abd, Bridge
Harley, Crofts, Bridcutt, Hammond, Buckley
Barnes, CMS

with Sparrow to spare. (or play 3-4-3)

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We will have lots of British players once the academy is up and running, except they'll be properly coached. Need to wait a few years though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here