Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of Englishmen in team

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Well when the choice is between a stupidly priced English player and a cheap(er) Spanish or other foreign import who can do the job better is anyone surprised ?
Why do people prefer to have Polish workmen doing up thir houses ? Because they work twice as hard and get paid 1/2 as much.
As mentioned above Jordan Rhodes went for twice as much as Dimitar Berbatov
No brainer really
Yeah it doesn't help the national side but I know what I'd rather go for . . .

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Is anybody else a little disappointed at the lack of English in our potential strongest starting 11? I tend to have a more enthusiasm for a team with more English players. At the moment we have more Spanish starters with Bruno, Vicente, Calderon, Lopez and Orlandi.

After transfer deadline day, it seems our only regular English players will be:

Bridge
Buckley
Bridcutt
Dunk

Not sure if Lua Lua counts?

Don't worry about it because the Academy will bring forward our young English players. Lets just hope it gets built soon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so in reality, playing three at the back and excepting theres no English keeper:

Dunk, El Abd, Bridge
Harley, Crofts, Bridcutt, Hammond, Buckley
Barnes, CMS

with Sparrow to spare. (or play 3-4-3)

El Abd is Egyptian, CMS is scotch and Barnes is Austrian.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is anybody else a little disappointed at the lack of English in our potential strongest starting 11? I tend to have a more enthusiasm for a team with more English players. At the moment we have more Spanish starters with Bruno, Vicente, Calderon, Lopez and Orlandi.

After transfer deadline day, it seems our only regular English players will be:

Bridge
Buckley
Bridcutt
Dunk

Not sure if Lua Lua counts?

Kaz is probably pretty much as English as you and I but wasn't born here so doesn't count.
Adam elAAbd and Ashley Barnes are English.
Hammond is English
Crofts is English
Harley is English
Macca is English

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like the present mix of Sussex, English, British and Spanish. No problem as far as I'm concerned.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Orlandi has very good English (w/o a Welsh accent) and better than many Englishmen and certainly better than Scottish or Welsh English. Boulogne is nearer than Burnley. More civilised as well. I don't understand this Nationalism when it comes to Western Europe. I come from Sussex, Europe.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It is a shame that English coaches have failed to understand football and as a result English footballers seem to struggle to pass the ball to a player in the same shirt, and then move to a position to receive it back. Instead they have coached football by smacking 45 yard speculative passes to some big lump up front. Personally I'm very grateful we have a manager who wants nothing to do with such rubbish. When football starts being coached properly in England then I hope to see some more English players in the side, but not until then.

100% this.

I know that yesterday everyone was really excited by our Spanish signings and then when the final one turned out to be home grown English, there were maons and groans.

I'm not sure his nationality had any bearing on the reaction tbh.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Who gives a f***? As long as we're doing well and they're putting 100% into their performance then it doesn't really matter ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
English or British players are ridiculously overpriced.

Jordan Rhodes was twice the price of Berbatov.
I think that is a bad comparison as both came from English League clubs so effectively were subject to the same valuation. The difference in their values I would suggest is due to their ages. A better example would have been a similar player in ability to Rhodes but coming from an Eastern European team as Berbatov did some years ago for £4m or even a Spanish team. Unfortunately I cannot think of a player by name to show as an example but I am sure that there are many and somebody will know of one such player.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think that is a bad comparison as both came from English League clubs so effectively were subject to the same valuation. The difference in their values I would suggest is due to their ages. A better example would have been a similar player in ability to Rhodes but coming from an Eastern European team as Berbatov did some years ago for £4m or even a Spanish team. Unfortunately I cannot think of a player by name to show as an example but I am sure that there are many and somebody will know of one such player.

Fair enough. (Though Berbatov is still the better player.)

The guy Michu who is banging in the goals at Swansea is 26 and cost 2 million.

He's Spanish, and rumour has it that they're quite good at football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here