Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of Englishmen in team

Brimmermusic

Aug 9, 2011
Eastbourne
Is anybody else a little disappointed at the lack of English in our potential strongest starting 11? I tend to have a more enthusiasm for a team with more English players. At the moment we have more Spanish starters with Bruno, Vicente, Calderon, Lopez and Orlandi.

After transfer deadline day, it seems our only regular English players will be:

Bridge
Buckley
Bridcutt
Dunk

Not sure if Lua Lua counts?

Feb 14, 2010
It is a shame that English coaches have failed to understand football and as a result English footballers seem to struggle to pass the ball to a player in the same shirt, and then move to a position to receive it back. Instead they have coached football by smacking 45 yard speculative passes to some big lump up front. Personally I'm very grateful we have a manager who wants nothing to do with such rubbish. When football starts being coached properly in England then I hope to see some more English players in the side, but not until then.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Hammond is English.
And let's be honest Mackail Smith, El Abd, Crofts, Barnes, Lua Lua are more English than they are Scottish, Egyptian, Welsh, Polish and Congolese.
Add to that 2 Scotsman in Greer and Dobbie and our Spanish contingent, 3 different nationalities of goalkeeper, no I'm not worried, in fact I love it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is anybody else a little disappointed at the lack of English in our potential strongest starting 11? I tend to have a more enthusiasm for a team with more English players. At the moment we have more Spanish starters with Bruno, Vicente, Calderon, Lopez and Orlandi.

Bridge
Buckley
Bridcutt
Dunk

You've not really thought this thread through have you? Fail for missing out the above plus Calde & Bruno starting together, err....

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The reason why England will never win anything internationally. We coach them wrong from from day one & the fact is, a player from Spain(or various other countries) will easily fit into Poyet' way of playing as they have better technical ability. A great case is Adam El-Abd. A completely different player pre Poyet. I would cringe at how bad his distribution was and now he is a superb defender. Am i worried about where players come from? No. Compare the team we had when Poyet first took over compared to now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We could have lots of Englishmen and be as successful as England.

We could have lots of Spaniards and be as successful as Spain.

I know which one I'd go for !

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Bridge
Buckley
Bridcutt
Dunk

Oh sorry I forgot that the following are English (by birth) and have had the opportunity to play for other national sides due to parents/grandparents etc

El Abd
Mackail Smith
Crofts
Barnes

Corrected for you

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know that yesterday everyone was really excited by our Spanish signings and then when the final one turned out to be home grown English, there were maons and groans.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I turn up to be entertained by competitive and talented footballers who cares where they are from

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
It is a shame that English coaches have failed to understand football and as a result English footballers seem to struggle to pass the ball to a player in the same shirt, and then move to a position to receive it back. Instead they have coached football by smacking 45 yard speculative passes to some big lump up front. Personally I'm very grateful we have a manager who wants nothing to do with such rubbish. When football starts being coached properly in England then I hope to see some more English players in the side, but not until then.

Bugger me, I've just agreed with one of your posts. I'm going to wash myself down with Cif and wire wool then go back to bed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Off on a slight tangent.

Point of order.

Hammond is not a 'hometown' boy as stated on the club website. He grew up in Hastings and went to William Parker School, the same one Gareth Barry went to.

Sorry, as you were.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
English or British players are ridiculously overpriced.

Jordan Rhodes was twice the price of Berbatov.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here