Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour win by election, Cameron receives a message

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This idea that north = labour and south = Tories is a load of nonsense.

its simplistict, but not completly nonsence. one could say rural+suburban = Tories and urban = Labour. it happens that the north is more urbanised than the south. see map above and inparticular how many geogrpahically smaller seats are in the lancashire/yorkshire urban ribbon. no idea why South West and Scotland differ veer Liberal, any one care to speculate?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Why me?

What have I got to do with the Labour Party?

Indeed I am. I mention Labour supporters in my post (not the Labour Leader), if you don't support them then I don't know why you answered my thread...any acknowledgment at all that the economic situation that Cameron/Clegg found themselves in May 2010 was anything other than rosy?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
its simplistict, but not completly nonsence. one could say rural+suburban = Tories and urban = Labour. it happens that the north is more urbanised than the south. see map above and inparticular how many geogrpahically smaller seats are in the lancashire/yorkshire urban ribbon. no idea why South West and Scotland differ veer Liberal, any one care to speculate?

The urban/rural split is a far better guide than north/south, although it's still a bit of a generalisation.

It would certainly make sense for Oldham W and Saddleworth which is very far from being an urban constituency - which is why it's a marginal.

As to Lib Dems' strong showing in the south-west (and previously Lancashire/Yorkshire borders) could it be down to non-conformist religions? I'm just taking a stab here but I think there's a lot of Methodists around those areas and that could have an influence, but it's pure speculation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed I am. I mention Labour supporters in my post (not the Labour Leader), if you don't support them then I don't know why you answered my thread...

So if you print something factually wrong about an organisation and a poster corrects it, that means that that poster is a supporter of that organisation. Right ... [backs away slowly]

Indeed I am. I mention Labour supporters in my post (not the Labour Leader), if you don't support them then I don't know why you answered my thread...any acknowledgment at all that the economic situation that Cameron/Clegg found themselves in May 2010 was anything other than rosy?
I think everyone realised the seriousness of the economic crisis. Not everyone agreed that the Labour government was 100% to blame. Many people thought that the irresponsible behaviour of international financiers had a major part to play.

What we see now, though, is evidence of a growing concern that the Cameron/Clegg "solution" will either not work or will be too painful for many people to stomach. And the bankers carry on as if there isn't a problem.

The truth is ... probably ... that the government doesn't control the economy.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

I'll bite. You completely missed the thread last week where an attempt to present facts rather than the hyperbole about the current financial position, what caused it and options for resolution. I don't propose to repeat that thread here but you need to stop being so sanctimonious when people try to get into a debate with you. People have different views and opinions based on their background and levels of information.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Well since the PM himself went there to campain it seems as if he thought the conservatives could have won but they didn't. I think they did terribly, Labour only won this seat by a hundred votes less than a year ago, you'd think the Lib dems would nick it, or it would at least be as close again.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I'll bite. You completely missed the thread last week where an attempt to present facts rather than the hyperbole about the current financial position, what caused it and options for resolution. I don't propose to repeat that thread here but you need to stop being so sanctimonious when people try to get into a debate with you. People have different views and opinions based on their background and levels of information.

So you are not going to acknowledge it then. Everything was perfect in May 2010 and Cameron/Clegg have just screwed it up since then.

That's funny that, as I know a lot of people whom were made redundant in 2008/9 (none of whom worked in the banking industry). Do you? Or did that not happen where you live? That seemed very real and not made up hyperbole and BS by the Tories and the papers as you would seem to imply.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Cameron hasn't got any message, the Lib Dems have but they're pretending they haven't.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So you are not going to acknowledge it then. Everything was perfect in May 2010 and Cameron/Clegg have just screwed it up since then.

That's funny that, as I know a lot of people whom were made redundant in 2008/9 (none of whom worked in the banking industry). Do you? Or did that not happen where you live? That seemed very real and not made up hyperbole and BS by the Tories and the papers as you would seem to imply.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? If you bother to read the other thread you will very clearly see what I'm saying in terms of scale of issue, causes and potential remedies. It may suit your quick win, seek a sound bite mindset to want a one word answer to a long question or indeed ignore answers you've been given.

I know a fair number of people who have had reduced hours, pay, job cuts from 2008 onwards. Some of which actually worked in the banking sector and did nothing wrong, nor received 5 figure, let alone 7 figure bonuses. I suspect the will be many more to come. Although whether the level and locations we will see them is avoidable is where the parties differ.

but you carry on with you assumptions and believe what you're being told by the coalition. Now repeat after me;

'it's much worse than we thought'
'our decisions are based on necessity rather than ideology'
'it's all totally down to the previous lot'
'the rating agencies and money markets have demanded the austerity measures we've made'
'we would have had our credit rating reduced if we hadn't
'we're all in this together'

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Clearly he wants to cut hard and fast now, so that by the time we start thinking about the next general election, he'll be in a position to offer good news, like a tax cut or similar. And, of course, they had to say something different to the Labour policy.

Unfortunately cutting hard and fast isn't always a good thing. It may cause slight growth in the economy within the first few months/couple of years, but generally it will backfire in the long term.
Saying that I want to be proven wrong, as I do believe the coalition getting us out of this economic crisis and working would be real progress within British politics.

The win has nothing to do with the Tories, who have always been in 3rd place in the constituency. The increased margin of the win is due to the number of previously libdem voters who feel disenfranchised by the coalition and either didn't vote or voted labour to try and send a message to Nick Clegg.

There is also the issue of increased tactical voting by former Conservative voters in this particular by election

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is also the issue of increased tactical voting by former Conservative voters in this particular by election

if that were the case, Liberals must be worried how few of their vote turned out.

I ma sure that the people of Greece, Italy, Ireland, Spain and Portugal, as well as parts of the United States are also blaming the Labour Party for the situation they find themselves in.

if that were the case, Liberals must be worried how few of their vote turned out.

Indeed they must be. But not half as much as the Conservatives whose vote collapsed

Results
Abrahams (Lab) 14,718 (14,186) +532

Watkins (LD) 11,160 (14,083) -2,923

Ali (Con) 4,481 (11,773) -7,292

Others 4,571 (4,478) +93

Majority 3,558 (103)

Turnout 48.1% (61.2%)

2010 general election in brackets

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Labour is back on the map.

They achieved an outstanding 3,558 majority at the Oldham East and Saddleworth bye election last night on a 48% turnout. This was even better than their high water mark set at the 1997 General Election. The second place result for the Lib Dems was only attained by virtue of the fact that the Tories had scaled back their campaign to take pressure off the beleaguered Clegg and his duplicitous crew and shore up the prospects for Coalition survival.

The majority of people now fully understand the Tory agenda and how they are pursuing their ideology using the Lib Dems as political cover.

The public have real concern over the depth and speed of the austerity measures, job security, cuts to the police force, the future of the NHS, raising VAT and tuition fees.

It’s the worst of all worlds for the coalition. The Lib Dems have lost their credibility and there is considerable unrest with Tory backbenchers especially when their leader fails to support their own candidate at the bye election in order to support a coalition which is a million miles from its pre election promises.

It’s also interesting that now that he is under pressure, David Cameron is becoming very Bullingdon in his deliveries, especially at the despatch box. He’s clearly irritated by all those oily little ticks criticising him. And it’s only January 2011, less than 9 months in office. The real pressure is yet to come.

David Cameron doesn’t have any gravitas or charm. Tony Blair did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here