Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour win by election, Cameron receives a message

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if there were a general election you would see the turnout rise significantly. the fact that Labour gained so little in terms of actual votes shows there was no protest against the government. someone said its a no score draw, that about sums it up.
This is absolute bollocks - all we know is that Labour's share of the vote is up massively since the general election, Lib Dems is down and Tories even more so. The rest of it is pure conjecture on your part.

If I could be arsed, I'd trawl through NSC for some by-election results just before the general election where the vote did something like this, but with the Tory party performing well. I bet "no score draw" is absolutely not how you'll have summed it up.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Simster,yes it is only the politics!
Sort of met Crispin Blunt once.I was in the car park off Bell St. near Priory Park and was leaving before my time was up on my ticket.Being a generous soul,I offered it to this bloke who was about to purchase a ticket from the machine....he refused my offer,which I thought was a bit pompous and as I moved away I had another look at him; it was Blunt!Perhaps he thought I would report him to the council for cheating them out of carpark money!
Can't say I would be impressed by him as my M.P......too high an opinion of himself I reckon.Had to chuckle about the gayer bit,I read it in the paper.Good M.P. down here in Chichester;Andrew Tyrie,always involves himself in local issues.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster,yes it is only the politics!
Sort of met Crispin Blunt once.I was in the car park off Bell St. near Priory Park and was leaving before my time was up on my ticket.Being a generous soul,I offered it to this bloke who was about to purchase a ticket from the machine....he refused my offer,which I thought was a bit pompous and as I moved away I had another look at him; it was Blunt!Perhaps he thought I would report him to the council for cheating them out of carpark money!
Can't say I would be impressed by him as my M.P......too high an opinion of himself I reckon.Had to chuckle about the gayer bit,I read it in the paper.Good M.P. down here in Chichester;Andrew Tyrie,always involves himself in local issues.
There are plenty of good Tory MPs who serve their communities well. Indeed, I tend to think our politicians are fantastic, by and large. It annoys me that they get such bad press. However, I really would like to see local parties feel obliged to field candidates with roots in their community.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Seems everyone agrees, the country has spoken. Long may it continue

Yes, it spoke in May and the result will continue for the next four years. By-elections are just a bit of murmuring in the background.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did the BNP vote get squeezed by the Monster Raving Loony candidate ?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Labour win Northern seat shocker. Has there ever a been a mire disingenuous group as the losing Labour supporters from the last election? Noisy bad losers, nothing more, nothing less.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is absolute bollocks - all we know is that Labour's share of the vote is up massively since the general election, Lib Dems is down and Tories even more so. The rest of it is pure conjecture on your part.

its not conjecture, its just offering a point of view based on the numbers rather than the %:

1997 GE turnout 54,101
2001 GE turnout 45,420
2005 GE turnout 43,367
2010 GE turnout 44,520
2011 BE turnout 34,987

Labour vote of went up 532 votes to 14718 (from 14,186). in the 2010 GE they went *down* 3782 from 17,968 (which was up a few hundred from 2001). there has been virtually no improvement of the Labour vote.

im sure one could perform a similar analysis of previous by-elections either way, but i havent. i personally dont usually read much into any by election, they are notoriously unreliable indicators of political opinion. the impact of how each party reads and responds to the result is usually far more significant.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You'd love Reigate. The MP is a twat called CRISPIN who does f*** all for the community but gets elected time and again because he wears a blue rosette, and recently waited until two weeks after the election to announce he was a gayer. Funny that. I wish the Tories would introduce a LOCAL candidate who gave a shit, FFS.

Yeah with a name like "CRISPIN" he sounds like a twat, very pretentious like say people called Tristan or Simeon , on a side note I agree with you on a local person for the job, Debbie Abrahams came third in the 2010 in a seat held by Labour since 1997, she was from Yorkshire.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Hi Simster,you and I rarely agree,but I do fell strongly that Labour must not be let near the seat of power for a long time.For all their worthy and idealistic(in believers eyes!) thoughts,they are just incapable of spending only what can be afforded.It always ends in tears and the 'nasty'Tories have to sort it out.
Anyway,I was up in Reigate for a brief time last week;it seems so built up and busy compared to when we lived there 10 years ago!
Best wishes.

Yes because the Conservative party did such a wonderful job last time, taking us into a large national recession, cutting millions of jobs, and raping the mining industry? Having said that, after Black Wednesday and that debacle, the economy did show slight growth under the Major Government, and before the Labour party were voted into power.
Then again the economy was growing under the Labour party in the months before the 2010 general election. So maybe things may have gotten better. Who can say now.

Having said this i do agree with the policy of the cuts. BUT I don't agree with the way Cameron is doing it. By the looks of things he is going by the Thatcher policy, cut everything hard and fast and everything will be ok. But it is unlikely to. You need a mixed economy (Keynsian economics), that is the only way to sustain growth. You need to cut the stupid things, such as QUANGOs, and then need to create jobs and spend at the same time.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Having said this i do agree with the policy of the cuts. BUT I don't agree with the way Cameron is doing it. By the looks of things he is going by the Thatcher policy, cut everything hard and fast and everything will be ok. But it is unlikely to. You need a mixed economy (Keynsian economics), that is the only way to sustain growth. You need to cut the stupid things, such as QUANGOs, and then need to create jobs and spend at the same time.

Clearly he wants to cut hard and fast now, so that by the time we start thinking about the next general election, he'll be in a position to offer good news, like a tax cut or similar. And, of course, they had to say something different to the Labour policy.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Labour win Northern seat shocker. Has there ever a been a mire disingenuous group as the losing Labour supporters from the last election? Noisy bad losers, nothing more, nothing less.

Absolutely, spot on, they really are just terrible whinny losers aren't they. They are just in total denial that there are any issues left behind after their 13 year tenure....and that any problems are now the result of the last 7 months of Cameron/Clegg.

Still as you say shock, horror Labour retains rock solid safe northern seat 7 months in to a 5 year parliament.

Labour supporters re-arrange this well known phrase to show the importance of this result.....

Clutching straws at

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A general election majority of 103 votes in this constituency makes is a "rock solid safe northern seat" does it?

Quite.

This idea that north = labour and south = Tories is a load of nonsense.

Oldham W and Saddleworth is surrounded by 7 other constituencies: four are held by Labour, three are held by the Conservatives - and one of the Labour ones, Rochdale, was held by the Libs/LibDems for a long time.

I'm not convinced that this is a hugely significant result as by-elections go but to present it as a safe Labour seat in a safe Labour area is total bollocks.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Draw your own conclusions...

File:2010UKElectionMap.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

614px-2010UKElectionMap.svg.png

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The most interesting thing for me last night was the entrance of the Labour would-be MP into the hall where the votes were being counted.

Andy Burnham and 30 or so toadies, sycophants and party activists were there to greeet her with a massive bouquet of flowers, kisses all round, they all lapped up the TV cameras and the thing went on for 5 minutes with little speeches and the like. All of this and the returning officer hadn't even announced the result!

Why not have the good grace to celebrate AFTER the result had been announced and you've congratulated the other candidates? Simply awful. The other parties were looking on in disgust, and rightly so.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
A general election majority of 103 votes in this constituency makes it a "rock solid safe northern seat" does it?

Ok, I will amend my original post...anything else you wish to disagree on?

Absolutely, spot on, they really are just terrible whinny losers aren't they. They are just in total denial that there are any issues left behind after their 13 year tenure....and that any problems are now the result of the last 7 months of Cameron/Clegg.

Still as you say shock, horror Labour retains northern seat 7 months in to a 5 year parliament.

Labour supporters re-arrange this well known phrase to show the importance of this result.....

Clutching straws at

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here