Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour. Shadow cabinet.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Alan Johnson,Chancellor. Ed Balls,Home Office. Yvette Cooper,Foreign Office. Cameron & Clegg, must be thinking does it get any better than this ?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I personally would have put Yvette Cooper up against Osborne as a woman with kids would have been a good foil against him. However, Alan Johnson is a good solid politician who is good at learning his brief and does connect with the British people really well. A sound former postman who is not tainted by the left. I think the landed and moneyed Osborne may be in for a shock in future debates.

I also think Cooper up against Hague will be interesting especially as hague's faith in politics is already rattled and Teresa May will be no match for Ed Balls.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
With his lacklustre speech at the Tory Conference David Cameron still failed to let people know who he is and what he is hoping to achieve. A lot of it was a re-run of what he said during the election and most of the electorate did not get it then, which is why he did not get a majority. Big Society is still a hollow message and voters are still suspicious that David Cameron and George Osborn are focused on ideology rather than sensible economic strategy.

The OTT attacks on Labour for the so called economic mess do not go down well with most voters because many remember the woeful public services that Labour inherited in 1997 after 18 years of Conservative rule and they know too well the many improvements which had taken place by 2010.

After a Labour victory in 2015 Ed Miliband can choose his own cabinet, so the make up of the shadow cabinet is simply academic.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I personally would have put Yvette Cooper up against Osborne as a woman with kids would have been a good foil against him. However, Alan Johnson is a good solid politician who is good at learning his brief and does connect with the British people really well. A sound former postman who is not tainted by the left. I think the landed and moneyed Osborne may be in for a shock in future debates.

I also think Cooper up against Hague will be interesting especially as hague's faith in politics is already rattled and Teresa May will be no match for Ed Balls.

Johnson was only picked because both Balls and Cooper are both solidly anti cuts, even more anticut than Labour as a party. He's good enough I suppose but hardly a new generation.

Balls is probably the most disliked Labour politician at the moment. Cooper I'm not sure about, but the Mekon isn't to be messed with.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
With his lacklustre speech at the Tory Conference David Cameron still failed to let people know who he is and what he is hoping to achieve. A lot of it was a re-run of what he said during the election and most of the electorate did not get it then, which is why he did not get a majority. Big Society is still a hollow message and voters are still suspicious that David Cameron and George Osborn are focused on ideology rather than sensible economic strategy.

The OTT attacks on Labour for the so called economic mess do not go down well with most voters because many remember the woeful public services that Labour inherited in 1997 after 18 years of Conservative rule and they know too well the many improvements which had taken place by 2010.

After a Labour victory in 2015 Ed Miliband can choose his own cabinet, so the make up of the shadow cabinet is simply academic.

Can't disagree with any of these paragraphs..

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

So all Labour has to do is sit back relax and they'll be in power in 5 years?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Johnson was only picked because both Balls and Cooper are both solidly anti cuts, even more anticut than Labour as a party. He's good enough I suppose but hardly a new generation.

Balls is probably the most disliked Labour politician at the moment. Cooper I'm not sure about, but the Mekon isn't to be messed with.

But that's the fallacy here. Labour as a party were not and are not anti cuts as evidenced by the darling plan which the OBR stated in their emergency budget analysis would deliver deficit reduction on the scale andtimeline that had been promised. although I agree balls was less in favour I don't think cooper was as extreme as him.

THe question is one of ideology between labour and Tories. IS it cuts alone! who should bear the brunt? And over how long?

I don't count the lib dense as having am ideology as they flipped too quickly when tower was offered

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Granted the shadow cabinet looks a bit light weight, but they allways do when the old, well known faces move on.

We have 5 years to get used to them, and 5 years to get pissed off with the government.

Should be plenty of time, given the f*** ups at the Tory conference with child benefits, 5 months could do the job.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I know the UK has problems in voting in a non-English prime minister, but it seems like we have gone from New Labour to New London, has there ever been a less representative bunch than this narrow social group leading a "people's party"

Also just wondering has Leekbrookgull got any other interest in life other than vaguely right wing political topics ? Always phrased in a very open topic sort of way, but it is like having a sixth form tutor trying to shape impressionable young minds.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Is it me or is Yvette Cooper possibly the most pathetic excuse for an MP currently drawing expenses. I have never heard her answer a question or try to make a point without stumbling and stuttering and appearing on the verge of tears.

Try to imagine (hard though it is) if Ed ever got into No.10 and Yvette was sent off to the U.N. to throw our weight about as Foreign Secretary. It would be the most embarrassing show up since old Mrs Beckett rolled up in her caravan at the G8.

Says everything to me that Ms Cooper got the most votes for the shadow cabinet.

Carry On Dave, nothing to worry about there :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here