Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You’re an intelligent chap, and I’m sure you could spot anti black or anti Asian racism.

Why do you think anti Jewish is so hard to define?

You’re going to say “Israel” aren’t you?
Did you watch the David Baddiel documentary on this about a year ago? Very interesting.

The answer, I think, by and large is that 'people' don't think it is 'as bad' to make anti-Jewish comments because they are 'white' so it isn't 'properly racist'.

Weird, when you think about it, but saying as much is how Abbott got her suspension and her ticket to a 'give your head a wobble' course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did you watch the David Baddiel documentary on this about a year ago? Very interesting.

The answer, I think, by and large is that 'people' don't think it is 'as bad' to make anti-Jewish comments because they are 'white' so it isn't 'properly racist'.

Weird, when you think about it, but saying as much is how Abbott got her suspension and her ticket to a 'give your head a wobble' course.
Yes, the answer to my own question about India is, from my perspective, that Indians are “brown” and Jews are “not”.

Plus a whole heap of unpleasant online tropes and conspiracy theories.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
He was kicked out of the Labour Party by the Labour Party because of it. Hardly ‘a figment of the imagination’

I'm afraid you are wrong. He was kicked out because he said that the issue has been overstated for political reasons - he was 100% right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm afraid you are wrong. He was kicked out because he said that the issue has been overstated for political reasons - he was 100% right.
One case shouldn’t be acceptable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fraud two years ago and dealt with.

Corruption is a different crime, like rewarding party donors with VIP contracts, still unpunished.

Different crimes.

Have Labour said they’ll get the Crown/CPS to go after PPE crooks, also the countless businesses and faux businesses who stole lockdown loans, also furlough theft?

Would love them to. Headed …. Fraud Recovery Unit.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Have Labour said they’ll get the Crown/CPS to go after PPE crooks, also the countless businesses and faux businesses who stole lockdown loans, also furlough theft?

Would love them to. Headed …. Fraud Recovery Unit.
I believe they are setting up a commission to look at this if they win. It’s what going to lose the Tories election ‘29.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I believe they are setting up a commission to look at this if they win. It’s what going to lose the Tories election ‘29.

I hope it’s a quick commission, then action. These things eg the Blood and PO enquiries can take a lifetime.

Would love Mr & Mrs Mone to go through hell. More importantly, for OUR money to flow back.

The Tories are finished for a long time anyway imho. Famous last words. I can only see a comeback if Starmer/Reeves/Streeting/Cooper face 5 years of hell from fifth columnists such as Owen Jones, Coogan, Mick Lynch who set out to derail and get somewhere.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It's quite easy to define when you experience it. I think Zeberdi knows that.
That’s the point I am making.

As an objective concept, it is a term subject to variable interpretations by different commentators and observers who often have a political motive to how it is applied and in what circumstances - people who think “antisemitism” is easy to define or there is a universal understanding of what it means in practice really don’t understand the complexities around the topic. What I regard as antisemitic behaviour towards myself ie hostile attitude or critism that goes to the heart of my identity as a Jewish person may not be seen as antisemitic by others simply because they don’t feel it - or because they just have a different interpretation/criteria by which antisemitism is defined.

This is important to understand in the context of the Labour movement and where we are today - re. all this talk of “purges” and “antisemitism“ by ‘Old Labour’. I was an active member of the Labour Party long before Corbyn was leader - (I joined in the early 90s) but even then, there were strong affiliations with the Palestinian cause, as well as the Sandinistas, the Solidarity Union in Poland as well as a number of other causes all of which I supported - the Labour Party is traditional party of the labour/worker’s movement and affiliated Unions. That aspect of the Labour Party has affiliated itself globally with workers rights and unions across the world including the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions (PGFTU).

That is or at least was, the heart of the Labour movement - it may not be obvious now in Post-Blair, Post-Clause IV , post-Thatcherite Party we have now, but “Old Labour”, like Corbyn and Abbott were not unwelcome adjuncts to the political party, they were the resurgence of the Party of Michael Foot and Barbara Castle.

As far as the difficulty in defining Antisemitism - this New Yorker article may be of interest - I hope it’s not paywalled for anyone. It is by Kenneth Stern who helped write a definition now endorsed by more than forty countries. So why does he believe it’s causing harm?

The definition, which had been written in 2004 and adopted, in 2016, by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (I.H.R.A.), an intergovernmental organization based in Stockholm, was created (as a part of a project) to help governments collect data on antisemitism

“ In “The Conflict Over the Conflict,” he traces the project’s [ie the origins to 2004, when the European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Xenophobia (E.U.M.C.), which was part of the European Union, issued a report that acknowledged the difficulty of measuring the prevalence of antisemitism in different countries. As the report noted, one of the reasons for this was the absence of a shared understanding of what antisemitism entailed. To address this problem, the E.U.M.C. began working with a group of scholars and Jewish organizations to create a common definition,

The problem arose when groups started employing it as a hate-speech code instead. In our conversations, Stern described this development as an “abuse,” saying that he wished, in retrospect, that “guardrails” had been installed to prevent it. “None of us anticipated that it would be used as this blunt instrument to suppress pro-Palestinian speech,” he said.”

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
They did when Corbyn was leader, in fact it led to a Hindu boycott of Labour because it was said he was being racist for raising the issue!
Raising an issue and constant social media tropes are very, very different.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I’ll add you to the list of “progressives” who’d rather have a Tory government than Starmer.

@Bold Seagull Seeing as you have liked the above comment of me and yet I'm trying to gain more understanding of the Labour Party and what I think will amount to its corruption and backing of a Genocidal Israel and Israel in the rebuilding of Gaza, maybe I could have your thoughts on the questions I pose below. (and repost)

I'd really appreciate a reply to the below from anyone that could help me understand why I should vote Labour?

I was hoping that, having never been a Labour Party Member, and having never voted Tory in my life, I might open it to Labour Party Members and how they felt about the conversation within the tweet

Furthermore whether members felt there is enough evidence within the tweet to warrant any action being taken, as it claims?

It may be worth considering with any claims of antisemitism that Luke Akehurst is not Jewish. He is a committed Zionist.
Also interested in opinion on Luke Akehurst apparently being found a "safe" seat and not being from the area.

I'd really like to know Party Members views (take it there are some on here) or even others to comment on their views. From previous experience I think it would be best to keep me out of personal replies if they are offensive.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So, all the social media activity re Corbyn was before 7 October.

Let me draw you a parallel. India was also partitioned in the 1940s and currently has an unpleasant, right wing, nationalist government. It’s been in constant skirmishes in Kashmir. And that was the status in 2020/21. It discriminates against non Hindus.

Why would the left of Labour attack Israel but not India???
Well power mad patronising moderator lets begin.
Modi is a Netanhayu. Netanhayu is a Modi.
Modi hasn't killed as many as 35,000+ families and left thousands to starve to death. Probably getting there though.
British jobs for British people keep supplying arms for the Gaza slaughter says Keir.

Get a grip my boy. The battle is not against us original Labour with a moral conscience. There's plenty of room to take us on board with your Right of centre views.

Still very unimpressed with someone I considered sound. Be shocked if you thought the same about me. Life is life. Politics is shit. Stop supporting killing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well power mad patronising moderator lets begin.
Modi is a Netanhayu. Netanhayu is a Modi.
Modi hasn't killed as many as 35,000+ families and left thousands to starve to death. Probably getting there though.
British jobs for British people keep supplying arms for the Gaza slaughter says Keir.

Get a grip my boy. The battle is not against us original Labour with a moral conscience. There's plenty of room to take us on board with your Right of centre views.

Still very unimpressed with someone I considered sound. Be shocked if you thought the same about me. Life is life. Politics is shit. Stop supporting killing.
Pre and post 7 October was the point of my post. Corbyn wasn’t in the Labour Party on 7/10 when Palestinians were raping and murdering kids at a music festival.

But I’ll buy you a beer and have a chat any time. You’re a good bloke and our differences on this are narrower than you think.

Progressive anti-racism sits within us both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here