Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This thread could do with a binfest emoji

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
This bit about the private schools might have a negative impact.

Many of the day-to-day parents I know made significant sacrifices in order to go private.

I can see that this increase will put many borderline pupils unable to go, and subsequently add to the already overstretched demand in state schooling.

Bigger class sizes and increased places, I do hope the increment in required teaching staff has been accounted for.
"Many" is doing a lot of work in that sentence. FWIW:
A report by the IFS, often described as Britain’s leading economics thinktank, predicted ... that removing tax exemptions was likely to have a “relatively limited effect” on numbers attending private schools, with a mere 3%-7% reduction in numbers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Many of the day-to-day parents I know made significant sacrifices in order to go private.

I can see that this increase will put many borderline pupils unable to go, and subsequently add to the already overstretched demand in state schooling.

Bigger class sizes and increased places, I do hope the increment in required teaching staff has been accounted for.
Both my boys went to private primary school. All the parents I ended up mixing with, not my cup of tea I hasten to add, could well afford an extra 20% just by giving up one of their three expensive holidays each year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Why should institutions that already enjoy immense privilege also enjoy tax relief?

There is a scholarship system that allows high achieving, poorer students to attend public school.

Cant afford it? Not clever enough to pass a scholarship exam? Tough.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Why should institutions that already enjoy immense privilege also enjoy tax relief?

There is a scholarship system that allows high achieving, poorer students to attend public school.

Cant afford it? Not clever enough to pass a scholarship exam? Tough.
You're all heart.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No doubt, no doubt….

However:

Labour says it will create 40,000 extra appointments, scans and operations a week during its first year, if it gains power.

So over 2million extra appointments etc a year????

If I’m being honest I personally think that is extremely unlikely and will almost certainly get back tracked once in power. 🙄
Well there are approx 56k GPs in the UK so if you look at it like that, that averages as just under one additional appointment per GP per week!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think the issue with this thread is there’s not been a meltdown. This Diane Abbott thing is really very small beer.

For comparison, the Tory thread started over Partygate, which led to multiple police fines and the resignation of the Prime Minister. Whatever this Abbott thing is, it’s not that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not a Diane Abbott fan ... or even agreer BUT I do find it rather annoying she's been labelled as antisemitic in most reports yet she also 'offended' the Irish and travellers. Just getting a bit bored of everything heading towards the antisemitic slant nowadays.
It does seem odd to overlook her other racist 'inclusions' but I'm sure it was just careless commentary to mention only the antisemitism.

So I find that an odd comment. I'm sure you don't really mean you're bored with antisemitism :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the issue with this thread is there’s not been a meltdown. This Diane Abbott thing is really very small beer.

For comparison, the Tory thread started over Partygate, which led to multiple police fines and the resignation of the Prime Minister. Whatever this Abbott thing is, it’s not that.
No, but the OP has set it up to accommodate meltdowns to come. Rather like the computer Deep Thought, created to answer the question about Life, The Universe, and Everything. And if you recall, the answer was 42. And so he created better computer to find out what the question is :lolol:

(this could be end of thread, but I suspect it won't be.)

Reactions: A1X

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There isn't a single word I disagree with here.

I wasn't demonizing private education, to be clear, but I do think VATing it is an excellent policy. There is no reason why private education shouldn't attract tax and the more people who are in state education, the more likely the country is to demand quality. All the while a rump of people can afford to go private, there is less of a will to improve state.

You are also spot on about the NHS - my wife works indirectly for them and says the same. But my dad's story sums up the NHS - he was once running a training course to middle management in Salisbury and they laid out about 40 chairs. No word of a lie - THREE people turned up. What makes these people think it's ok to waste public money?
The NHS, like the university system, has been trashed by politicians (mostly but not exclusively Tory) with the delivery we have now, which is still decent on the whole, entirely down to the hard work and goodwill of the people delivering it.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Indeed. I am confident Starmer does not want her to stand and was expecting her to agree to stand down. She has no apparently chosen to have not understood that to be the case.
LOL
She had done nothing but snipe at Starmer since he became leader and has never endorsed anything he has said.

So as far as I am concerned I don't care whether she goes quietly or kicking and screaming. If somehow the party decide she has done her penance for her racism, and may stand again for Labour, that's up to the party. If so I'm not sure Abbott will show any contrition. And frankly I am surprised she hasn't already defected to join her former squeeze in is quest to grasp Power for The People.

It seem that Abbott wants to do maximum damage to Starmer-Labour. Good luck with that, ma'am

(and also the right will criticize Starmer for being mean to Abbott if she is booted out, and will call him weak and scared of the hard left if he doesn't boot her out, so . . . . .)
The awkward point will come if her CP is allowed to select its own candidate. I’m presuming she’s very popular locally given her impressive support from the voters. Sir Keir might be in a dilemma here as with Corbyn who’s standing as an independent. Either let her CP select her and face the prospect of her sniping from the wings in parliament, or overrule her selection and risk her standing anyway — and winning, in which case the sniping would be worse. Either way she’s a thorn in the side. Perhaps she’ll do the convenient thing and decide not to run. Though as Jeremy is doing so one suspects she will too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The awkward point will come if her CP is allowed to select its own candidate. I’m presuming she’s very popular locally given her impressive support from the voters. Sir Keir might be in a dilemma here as with Corbyn who’s standing as an independent. Either let her CP select her and face the prospect of her sniping from the wings in parliament, or overrule her selection and risk her standing anyway — and winning, in which case the sniping would be worse. Either way she’s a thorn in the side. Perhaps she’ll do the convenient thing and decide not to run. Though as Jeremy is doing so one suspects she will too.
I agree with your assessment.

My preference (as a labour member) would be to have her outside the tent (I am sure you will recall the rest of the quote; I expect the tent to be quite waterproof for the first year of the new parliament). Labour can handle the loss of two seats (for one term), and the sight of Corbyn and Abbott, holding hands on the opposition back benches, would be amusing.

I would also reiterate that the suggestions (that have already appeared) that her black supporters will stick with her because she is black, and desert labour because she's a black woman (wronged by labour) are on a par with the noisy huffing and puffing by at least one self-appointed black spokesperson that when we sacked Hughton it was racist. Anyone chasing their race is....erm....ah yes! A bit racist, in my view.

Finally, I recall Paul Boateng refusing to join up with Abbott and Bernie Grant and Keith f***ing Vaz to form a labour 'black section' in parliament. Yet another example of the minority view being the correct view.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Voting for Sunak or Starmer is like taking your two dogs to the park and having only one poo bag.
I can sort of see where your coming from, I am flip flopping with Keir, I have expected him to ramp this election up and wipe the floor with the Tories, I suppose he may come out with some headline stuff soon, fingers crossed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am curious to see what they do when they have difficult decisions to make, although there is a lot of low hanging fruit that can be picked before it gets to that. Improving trade relations with the EU, and taxing private education are two excellent, sensible policies but stuff like that won't fix everything.

It annoys me that they are ruling out tax rises for a start, when it is quite clear something has to be done to pay for the Tory mess where nothing in the public sector works.
Gritting your teeth and winning is one thing . . . . Doing what you want is another

doing what's right is something else entirely . . . .not something some of us have much experience of witnessing. . . Governements in my lifetime have almost exclusivley been either total ****s or firefighting damage limitation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here