Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Good tea from Mauritius
What shocked me when I went was 1) how expensive everything (including tea) was and 2) how much they changed when I told them I was visiting my Granddad’s grave (a Mauritian).

The beaches - my god.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just delivered annual bribery and corruption as well as seasonal gift and hospitality training to our client facing teams

Normally they fall silent when asked if anyone has any questions but today I had 4 or 5 consisting of “what happens if they offer to buy my wife clothes and I don’t directly benefit” “surely glasses are essential for work” “He might be a Tory peer but it’s fine”

All said in jest but I don’t blame the audience of not taking the law seriously if the sitting UKG doesn’t

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I may not have been serious with my post, undoubtedly the right thing to do.

I don't really understand the root of the claim, Mauritis is over 2,000km from the Chagos Islands. The Chagos Island's are far closer to the Maldives for instance. But whatever, I don't see why we should have sovereignty, and islanders were treated badly so I'm happy for them to be passed into more 'local' custody.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just delivered annual bribery and corruption as well as seasonal gift and hospitality training to our client facing teams

Normally they fall silent when asked if anyone has any questions but today I had 4 or 5 consisting of “what happens if they offer to buy my wife clothes and I don’t directly benefit” “surely glasses are essential for work” “He might be a Tory peer but it’s fine”

All said in jest but I don’t blame the audience of not taking the law seriously if the sitting UKG doesn’t
Private sector?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't really understand the root of the claim, Mauritis is over 2,000km from the Chagos Islands. The Chagos Island's are far closer to the Maldives for instance. But whatever, I don't see why we should have sovereignty, and islanders were treated badly so I'm happy for them to be passed into more 'local' custody.
Wanna fight about it? Eh, eh? :lol:

It all comes down to the invention of the British Indian Ocean Territory. The Brits claimed sovereignty of many (most) of the small islands therein by virtue of controlling the BIOT waters, irrespective of who was settled there and claiming their ownership. Many of these islands including the Chagos Islands were inhabited, in Chagos’ case, by many Mauritian settlers and French Mauritian colonisers.

The Maldives were never established settlers on the islands - and in fact as recently as 2022 supported Mauritian sovereignty

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
It sounds as though the native residents were displaced by us and are Mauritian so guess that's where the claim comes from. Maldives will be able to claim them back from Mauritius later.

@jcdenton08 - How familiar are you with Mauritius?, I've got some travel related questions if possible ?.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It sounds as though the native residents were displaced by us and are Mauritian so guess that's where the claim comes from. Maldives will be able to claim them back from Mauritius later.

@jcdenton08 - How familiar are you with Mauritius?, I've got some travel related questions if possible ?.
I’ve only been once and that was years ago, not sure how much I can help, but happy to try! Think there are probably better sources though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here