Votes: 2 1.0%
  • will not vote

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters

The Cardinal

Bishop of Withdean
Sep 2, 2008
St Peters
Quite. It's inverse snobbery of the worst kind.

Whatever next? The Tories would surely never refer to the Speaker as "Gorbals Mick" or persistently shout "Waiter" at the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, now would they?

Cameron's background is only relevant because it's an illustration of how divorced he is from the experiences and lives of most British people and given his politics the degree to whcih he intends to protect his privileges from the rest of us.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Like spending countless nights in a NHS waiting room whilst his son was being treated. Yep totally divorced from reality mate. Keep peddling the lies and enough people will believe them which is the ONLY policy Labour have this election.

Dandyman

In London village.
Like spending countless nights in a NHS waiting room whilst his son was being treated. Yep totally divorced from reality mate. Keep peddling the lies and enough people will believe them which is the ONLY policy Labour have this election.

He's a multi-millionaire. Do you really think he or any of the Notting Hill mafia have ever had to worry about paying an utility bill, their rent/mortgage or if they can afford new gear for their kids?

Dandyman

In London village.
And you think Gordon Brown has?

In his younger days, probably. Now, no.

I'm not cheerleading for Neo Labour. IMO most Politicians either don't have a clue or don't give a f*ck.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
He's a multi-millionaire. Do you really think he or any of the Notting Hill mafia have ever had to worry about paying an utility bill, their rent/mortgage or if they can afford new gear for their kids?

Unlike Cherie and Tony Blair too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so is Blair. so are many Labour MPs. Brown had a middle class upbringing (you think a church minister eevr has to worry abotu a bill?). Are we to start barring from politics anyone who is successfull or happens to be born to someone successfull? We only wont politians who have grown up on sink estates? i really think you need to start rethinking this class war/envy politics. the reason many advised Brown against that thread was they knew it would come right back at them.

how about this, a politician who has had good time might want to drag everyone up to the same. ever thought of that? people dont go into politics to "protect the privileged", they protect themselfs quite easily enough without political help.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
so is Blair. so are many Labour MPs. Brown had a middle class upbringing (you think a church minister eevr has to worry abotu a bill?). Are we to start barring from politics anyone who is successfull or happens to be born to someone successfull? We only wont politians who have grown up on sink estates? i really think you need to start rethinking this class war/envy politics. the reason many advised Brown against that thread was they knew it would come right back at them.

how about this, a politician who has had good time might want to drag everyone up to the same. ever thought of that? people dont go into politics to "protect the privileged", they protect themselfs quite easily enough without political help.

Top post.

Public schools serve a purpose and in many (not all cases) provide an extremely well rounded education and considerably better learning conditions (eg 15 to a class rather that 35).

I'm glad a potential future Prime Minister went to public school.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
point well missed. the underlying question is why do you care? why does it matter that a politian might have had a private education, a great many do - on all sides. wouldnt you wish the best education for your children?

and while we're here, since i dont care much i've never taken the trouble to look it up, so who other than Cameron went to Eton?

There is a world of difference within the private school sector itself. There are recognised 'top' private schools which are very selective and there are those at the other end of the scale such as the Ardinglys of this world. I have no problem with people wanting to get the best for their kids, who wouldn't.

The problem is whether it is right for a Govenment to be made of of people from a very selective and privileged background when they are making decisions that affect the lives of ordinary people. I would be concerned if there was a suggestion in any party that they were only from one section of society. Some time ago Camerons shadow cabinet had a large number of old etonians but that has change albeit probably more in response to the issues that were raised because of it and the need to appear more representative.

Also, if you are interested in politics then maybe you should take an interest in the background of the people you are going to elect.

" What exactly do you mean by the phrase 'supposed to have had'. Their educational history is there for all to see. Several went to Eton and the vast majority went to private schools. Are you suggesting that all those photos of Cameron and his cronies from their eton days are fakes, a lefty conspiracy of somekind!!!! "

Who gives a f*** what school they went to ?.

quite a few actually.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
There is a world of difference within the private school sector itself. There are recognised 'top' private schools which are very selective and there are those at the other end of the scale such as the Ardinglys of this world. I have no problem with people wanting to get the best for their kids, who wouldn't.

The problem is whether it is right for a Govenment to be made of of people from a very selective and privileged background when they are making decisions that affect the lives of ordinary people. I would be concerned if there was a suggestion in any party that they were only from one section of society. Some time ago Camerons shadow cabinet had a large number of old etonians but that has change albeit probably more in response to the issues that were raised because of it and the need to appear more representative.

Also, if you are interested in politics then maybe you should take an interest in the background of the people you are going to elect.

quite a few actually.

Listen to yourself "ordinary people". Because people happen to have the money to send their kids to private school doesn't mean they aren't ordinary people.

Dandyman

In London village.
Listen to yourself "ordinary people". Because people happen to have the money to send their kids to private school doesn't mean they aren't ordinary people.

Even when the fees for somewhere like Eton are greater than the average wage?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Even when the fees for somewhere like Eton are greater than the average wage?

YES! It doesn't matter how much money you earn or spend, it is still possible for you to be an average bloke. Attending a private school and speaking properly doesn't make you 'out of touch with reality'

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is the whole problem in a nutshell which I said in my post before. The whole Labour philiosophy is the philosophy and ambition of the ordinary, the average, the under achiever, the never will achiever. They just want EVERYONE to be poor or at least EVERYONE to be financially under the cosh which makes the government all powerful and keeps the electorate down and out. How DARE anyone in this country aspire to have a good education or aspire to become a successful businessman through his own efforts and hard work and not rely on the state. How bloody DARE they. This is Labour in a nutshell.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Just imagine the outrage and tantrums if people who went to public school started referring to these 'ordinary folk' as plebs and chavs.

Snobbery works both ways.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
YES! It doesn't matter how much money you earn or spend, it is still possible for you to be an average bloke. Attending a private school and speaking properly doesn't make you 'out of touch with reality'

Indeed. Unfortunately we live in an age where believing in standards, good behaviour, civility and decency are mocked and derided by a Liberal establishment and their acolytes in the media.

Many people work bloody hard to send their children to good schools. That is choice and they have made theirs. I know of a couple near me who worked every hour that God sends, hardly ever went out and devoted themselves to providing the best they could for their children. Their two sons are now successful professional people. No doubt some on here would say they are privileged. They are, priviliged to have had caring hard working parents that put their children before their own materialistic desires.

The two lads earn excellent money and they deserve it.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i love politics, they're ACE!

anyone else watch the documentaries on the great offices of state on BBC4?

for the tory NSCers, BBC4 is a televison channel that shows 'a wide variety of programmes including drama, documentaries, music, international film, comedy and current affairs'.

only kidding!

it's very good though, puts a whole new slant on the dynamic of policy/minister and our civil service. it's on iplayer, get involved.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why all the chippiness re private education?As I said in a previous post,all we want is for the best people to run the country regardless of background ,money or type of education.If you require an operation,you want the most capable surgeon to do it....you don't ask what school he attended!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Indeed. Unfortunately we live in an age where believing in standards, good behaviour, civility and decency are mocked and derided by a Liberal establishment and their acolytes in the media.

Many people work bloody hard to send their children to good schools. That is choice and they have made theirs. I know of a couple near me who worked every hour that God sends, hardly ever went out and devoted themselves to providing the best they could for their children. Their two sons are now successful professional people. No doubt some on here would say they are privileged. They are, priviliged to have had caring hard working parents that put their children before their own materialistic desires.

The two lads earn excellent money and they deserve it.

Labour voters will absolutely HATE that story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here