Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour manifesto 2024

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Worthy of its own thread, hopefully an insight into policy, tax-spend and legislation over the next 5 years. Hoping for meat on the bone, rather than vague soundbites. So far:

No increases in VAT, income tax or NI. Suggests to me, increases in IHT and capital gains tax.

Home planning blocking by councils/nimbies to be unlocked. A must imho, but hopefully not destroying woodland and other key environments.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I think Robert Peston and Garth crooks would be an entertaining watch for who could say the fewest words in 10 mins or talking

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A fantastic read!

Here we go! 100% done!

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Disclaimer: I intend to vote Lib Dem tactically

I'm quite disappointed by their manifesto and lack of main policies. It's really not that much different from the Tories

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I assume known before?:

Full employment rights from day one.
Some zero hours contracts outlawed.
A new race relations act.
It was largely free of new announcements, which maps to the idea they spent 18 months carefully considering it.

My initial reaction was surprise.

Then I got it.....and thought, oh, OK. Good. I like it.

They are presenting themselves as very different from the Tories, in substance and in style. It almost seems like . . . change.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disclaimer: I intend to vote Lib Dem tactically

I'm quite disappointed by their manifesto and lack of main policies. It's really not that much different from the Tories
No nuclear disarmament, no massive income tax rise for the middle class, and no legalization of cannabis so, yes, exactly the same as the Tories.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I don't get why they are making so many blatantly unachievable promises (eg Just got back from the dentist who told me the 'rescue plan for dentistry' is absolutely impossible to achieve and is 'total fantasy'). They don't need to do this and are setting themselves up for a massive fall come the next GE. Before this election campaign I envisaged at least two terms for Labour, but now (if the opposition parties get their act together) I very much doubt it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Removing the 8am scramble for doctors appointments. Well that is something that I am actually affected by and needs fixing.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Economic growth will be the key to their (and the country's) success and yet they are still ignoring the obvious solution. Caution as a strategy is all well and good but not when you keep telling everyone that the country is broken. Sometimes you have to do what is right even if a large minority of people won't like it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Home planning blocking by councils/nimbies to be unlocked. A must imho, but hopefully not destroying woodland and other key environments.

This is a key issue, though, isn't it? The same people who complain that there is not enough housing also don't want our green spaces built over. We can't have both and unfortunately the south east is the area most earmarked for house building. There are usually very justifiable reasons why developments are blocked.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Economic growth will be the key to their (and the country's) success and yet they are still ignoring the obvious solution. Caution as a strategy is all well and good but not when you keep telling everyone that the country is broken. Sometimes you have to do what is right even if a large minority of people won't like it.
Haven't we learnt that trying to rush through economic change too quickly is utter chaos?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
It's all a load of soundbite bollocks. They all promise the earth and we're lucky to get a plant pot full.

I think if you expect a political party to come in and make your life wonderful, then you’re expecting too much.

I also agree that there’s a lot of what I’d describe as marketing in there. However, I have no argument with the policies, and I’d rather the country be taking baby steps in the right direction than give myself up to fatalism.

Will a Labour government instantly cure all our ills? No. Will it be an improvement on our current government? Yes.

That’s how I feel, and I’ll be voting for them. Until manifestos are released, I always fear something unpalatable being snuck in at the last minute, but there’s nothing in there to scare the horses.

I noted you peddling your “they’re all the same schtick” in the Biden thread. If you can’t tell the difference between Biden’s response to his son’s conviction, and Trump’s response to his own, then it’s no surprise to me that you can’t spot the difference between this incarnation of the Conservative Party and Labour.

Only one of those two parties have been in power since 2010, so is openly lying to you when they tell you things will be different under them. You can work the rest out for yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here