Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour manifesto 2024

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
£46.5k was the median teachers salary in 2023 (Sauce OSR, using pension scheme data for all 469k teachers).

But there was an anecdote (from @vegster I think) a while back that some devious heads/governors manipulate out perfectly good teachers at the top of pay scales.

46.5k is the maximum experienced teachers can earn (outside London).

Real term cuts for a long time.

Not saying it will happen but certainly wouldn’t rule out strikes, especially with the possibility of teachers seeing a new government as a softer touch who might look to improve the relationship with the public sector.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

46.5k is the maximum experienced teachers can earn (outside London).

Real term cuts for a long time.

Not saying it will happen but certainly wouldn’t rule out strikes, especially with the possibility of teachers seeing a new government as a softer touch who might look to improve the relationship with the public sector.

Working back on their 2022 numbers, would £32k be a typical teachers salary in 2010?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Disingenuous? To say that Labour's plans are really bad, and also that all the parties are the same (so please don't bother to vote; and let me sneak down to the polling station when you aren't looking, and put a sly X by the name of the Tory candidate)? Gaslighting? Bullshit? Sneakiness?

Surely not ???
“All the parties are the same” I hate this - it seems people have heard it so much they believe it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Without wishing to appear contrary.....I saw a grant application to the British Heart Foundation about 5 years ago from a medic who wanted their salary paid for as part of a 3 year research programme they wanted funded. The total cost of the project would have been about £2 million over 3 years. The salary component was over £200K a year. And this medic wasn't even that 'senior'.

Given that the 'junior' doctors do most of the work, they should be paid much more, and as a consequence they might behave with a bit more gravitas. I'm not impressed with the 'young' ones (age 30-40) I interact with. Ambitious, disorganized, unimaginative, unreliable.....and most moonlighting at private clinics.

But all that said, the patriarchal system (promotion if your face fits) I saw 35 years ago seems thankfully to have disappeared.
You raise an interesting point regarding the "moonlighting at a private clinic". Just how much of an adverse impact does this have on the NHS?

My brother-in-law needed "non-urgent" surgery. "Non-urgent" in that it wasn't a life-threatening illness but was causing a huge amount of pain and discomfort. His consultant said the NHS wait was at least 6 months followed by "but if you come to my private clinic I can do it next Thursday".

The taxpayer provides the resources and a lot of the training for doctors through the NHS. But then it seems that as soon as they can they abandon the NHS to line their pockets in the private sector. This "two-tier" health service clearly isn't working.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You raise an interesting point regarding the "moonlighting at a private clinic". Just how much of an adverse impact does this have on the NHS?

My brother-in-law needed "non-urgent" surgery. "Non-urgent" in that it wasn't a life-threatening illness but was causing a huge amount of pain and discomfort. His consultant said the NHS wait was at least 6 months followed by "but if you come to my private clinic I can do it next Thursday".

The taxpayer provides the resources and a lot of the training for doctors through the NHS. But then it seems that as soon as they can they abandon the NHS to line their pockets in the private sector. This "two-tier" health service clearly isn't working.
This hits the nail on the head. My old boss needed knee surgery. The consultant he saw at Guy's said 18 months. So he looked up a private surgery, and found himself in a plush suite in The Shard. "We can do it in 6 weeks", he was told. By the same surgeon he saw a week earlier at Guy's.

Yes, NHS doctors moonlight in private practice. And they use NHS facilities to do the work. There is no operating theatre in The Shard. The hospital gets a slice and of course the consultant makes a mint. And the patient jumps the queue, and the physician and the operating theatre are not available while the private work is undertaken.

This arrangement was set up because Labour had to compromise with shirty physicians when they created the NHS back in the 1940s.

The exact details may be slightly different from what I describe (I am not a physician) but the gist of it is fact.

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
This hits the nail on the head. My old boss needed knee surgery. The consultant he saw at Guy's said 18 months. So he looked up a private surgery, and found himself in a plush suite in The Shard. "We can do it in 6 weeks", he was told. By the same surgeon he saw a week earlier at Guy's.

Yes, NHS doctors moonlight in private practice. And they use NHS facilities to do the work. There is no operating theatre in The Shard. The hospital gets a slice and of course the consultant makes a mint. And the patient jumps the queue, and the physician and the operating theatre are not available while the private work is undertaken.

This arrangement was set up because Labour had to compromise with shirty physicians when they created the NHS back in the 1940s.

The exact details may be slightly different from what I describe (I am not a physician) but the gist of it is fact.
Well, yes and no... Not sure how correct you are about private clinics using NHS facilities, my understanding is that it's more (but not always) the other way round. But regardless of that, my question would be about the efficiency of the use of those facilities. If the NHS surgeons do 4 operations in a day, and the private surgeons (possibly the same surgeons) do 8 in a day, then actually we are all better off because the efficiency of the private system moves the queue quicker.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, yes and no... Not sure how correct you are about private clinics using NHS facilities, my understanding is that it's more (but not always) the other way round. But regardless of that, my question would be about the efficiency of the use of those facilities. If the NHS surgeons do 4 operations in a day, and the private surgeons (possibly the same surgeons) do 8 in a day, then actually we are all better off because the efficiency of the private system moves the queue quicker.
I am correct about the first part.

Regarding the second part, if the NHS buys services from the private sector (and it does, but not hugely), the NHS (i.e., the taxpayer) has to pay for it.

Regarding the third part, the NHS surgeons largely ARE the NHS surgeons. They use their chachet as NHS consultants to underpin their credentials as private practitioners. And the time they spend doing private practice is time not spent doing NHS work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here