Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour - Just DO ONE and have your conference somewhere else.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I have just driven along the seafront east to west - sped through no traffic at all, I can't remember the last time I managed to go through so quick I even got up to 30mph and had to brake to keep under the limit.

Mind you traffic was beginning to pile up nicely the other way though.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have to travel along the sefront to get to work Alan. In view of your infinate wisdom what do you recommend. Hiring a Helicopter ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ok. I don't HAVE to drive along the sea front but its normally quicker and less distance. I will have to go over the flyover to Lewes left through Kingston and then left along the side road to Newhaven. Its still an inconvenience though.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ok. I don't HAVE to drive along the sea front but its normally quicker and less distance. I will have to go over the flyover to Lewes right through Kingston and then left along the side road to Newhaven. Its still an inconvenience though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aren't there also gas works by odeon? A lot of inconveniences were already there.

They have these yellow arches across the pavement on the sea front side of the road. They don't seem to do anything except force people into single file for one moment.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Foolish to try and drive along the seafront most evenings or weekends. T'would be nice if the whole place was reclaimed for residents and grassed over. Scores of cars sitting stationary, belching out fumes on a hot summers day :nono:

(Ex-resident, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt) I don't think 'we', as a city, are in a position to turn down such an influx of people who will be spending their/taxpayers money in hotels and restaurants alike.

Ok. I don't HAVE to drive along the sea front but its normally quicker and less distance. I will have to go over the flyover to Lewes left through Kingston and then left along the side road to Newhaven. Its still an inconvenience though.
That's EXACTLY the case for a congestion charge.

The seafront is being clogged up throughout the year by drivers who think that their "convenience" is more important than anything else.

The Brighton by-pass was built to take traffic out of the city that has no reason to be there. If people won't use the by-pass, they should be charged a hefty sum to make them think again.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That's EXACTLY the case for a congestion charge.

The seafront is being clogged up throughout the year by drivers who think that their "convenience" is more important than anything else.

The Brighton by-pass was built to take traffic out of the city that has no reason to be there. If people won't use the by-pass, they should be charged a hefty sum to make them think again.

Let's encourage more interference in peoples lives by 'authority' shall we?

On the other hand let's not.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
It is true that this is the last conference by any party in Brighton for a while.

We should all be worried the other way round, this is money not coming to our city in the future.... we need business coming to the town.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Let's encourage more interference in peoples lives by 'authority' shall we?

On the other hand let's not.

It is not about civil liberties. It is about making Brighton & Hove a pleasant place to live. I lived up Oriental Place for a year and a half and the amount of traffic clogging up the place was ridiculous. What should be a nice stroll to the seafront and wander along the Kings Lawns is compromised by scores and scores of cars sitting stationary waiting to get into car parks or just simply crossing the city, belching out fumes and cluttering the place up.

The quality of life could be so much better without the infestation of cars in the centre. I am not advocating pedestrianising the whole of the city, but something needs to be done. The trouble is, the motor car lobby is too powerful and people are generally too lazy to change their ways.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
people are generally too lazy to change their ways.

Or, like me, refuse to be told what I can or cannot because of some PC lobby group. If the city centre is too busy for you, don't go there. If you live there but don't like it, move. Do something for yourself and stop expecting others to change their ways to please you.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Or, like me, refuse to be told what I can or cannot because of some PC lobby group. If the city centre is too busy for you, don't go there. If you live there but don't like it, move. Do something for yourself and stop expecting others to change their ways to please you.

Cor! You're WELL 'ARD you!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Oh dear, I wondered how long it would be before the 'PC Lobby' was mentioned or 'PC gone mad'. Firstly I am not sure what creating a fast lowing, cleaner air, less congested city has got to do with political correctness.

I have since moved to London, but I don't see why wanting a cut down in congestion is selfish. I am not suggesting people should be told what to do, but people should be encouraged to think about their impact on the city.

If the city centre is too busy for me, don't go there? :lol: For a start you will see that I was offering an opinion as a former resident of the city centre, so it would have been impossible to avoid it.

Tell me, would you prefer a chock-a-bloc Brighton or a congestion free Brighton?

I really don't see the big deal in wanting to make Brighton a better place to live. Ho hum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here