Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour annual conference

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think, to be fair, that if you or I called each other scum then Bozza would be all over it :)
Hell would freeze over before that happened though, thankfully.

You know exactly what I meant, especially with the match tomorrow.
Other words like morons etc are bandied about freely on this forum.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think it's just very unprofessional. I take the view that the opposition should be offering a clinical, dispassionate alternative, forensically looking at what can improve and communicating how they would achieve it.

Whilst this kind of stuff will appeal to the core voters, they aren't the ones who need appealing to. They're already in the back pocket. What Ms. Raynor seems to be missing is that by letting her heart and passion overcome her diplomacy, she is actually more likely to alienate swing voters from coming back to Labour.

If I voted Conservative in the last election, then have a senior Labour politician effectively calling me scum for helping elect them, I am not going to have an epithany and go rushing to the polls to vote Labour. Quite the opposite. I would see a party with no real answers resorting to name-calling and insulting the electorate-by-proxy.

TL;DR - whether you are Labour or Tory or anything in-between, it's not a good idea to call anyone "scum".

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think it's just very unprofessional. I take the view that the opposition should be offering a clinical, dispassionate alternative, forensically looking at what can improve and communicating how they would achieve it.

Whilst this kind of stuff will appeal to the core voters, they aren't the ones who need appealing to. They're already in the back pocket. What Ms. Raynor seems to be missing is that by letting her heart and passion overcome her diplomacy, she is actually more likely to alienate swing voters from coming back to Labour.

If I voted Conservative in the last election, then have a senior Labour politician effectively calling me scum for helping elect them, I am not going to have an epithany and go rushing to the polls to vote Labour. Quite the opposite. I would see a party with no real answers resorting to name-calling and insulting the electorate-by-proxy.

TL;DR - whether you are Labour or Tory or anything in-between, it's not a good idea to call anyone "scum".

Quite. The previous MP in my constituency called all Tories scum. She is not in the job anymore.

If you have to resort to abuse instead of defeating your opponent with debate then you have lost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Palace?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Rayner is hugely popular amongst the Labour faithful, she's not known as 'Our Angela' for nothing. Have to feel she has overstepped the mark here though and should be apologising. The Tories are not very nice, but they're not scum.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Starmer has said a Labour government would not seek to nationalise the big six energy companies, apparently ditching a leadership campaign pledge to “support common ownership of rail, mail, energy and water”.

He made the comment in a wide-ranging interview with the BBC’s Andrew Marr. See 11.01am. A few hours after the interview, delegates voted for a green new deal motion backing “public ownership of energy including energy companies”, but Starmer’s aides have indicated that he is willing to ignore this when drafting the next manifesto.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rayner is hugely popular amongst the Corbyn faithful, but she's not known as 'Our Angela' by anyone other than her mum. She'll soon be in the shadow shadow cabinet

:lolol:

Edited for you.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Starmer has said a Labour government would not seek to nationalise the big six energy companies, apparently ditching a leadership campaign pledge to “support common ownership of rail, mail, energy and water”.

He made the comment in a wide-ranging interview with the BBC’s Andrew Marr. See 11.01am. A few hours after the interview, delegates voted for a green new deal motion backing “public ownership of energy including energy companies”, but Starmer’s aides have indicated that he is willing to ignore this when drafting the next manifesto.

This is not a good idea, most of the profits leaving the UK, economic madness

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Reminds me of this story when Jess Phillips talked about language being important. Seems Angela Raynor disagrees.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....it-speech-labour-parliament-a9121231.html?amp

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Telling the truth, albeit in a very down to earth fashion (of course, you’ve never sworn) is mild compared to sick jokes about bombs at a Brighton conference.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-james-gray-apologises-sick-25074594.

Tory James Gray apologises for sick joke about delivering 'bomb' to Labour MP
The MP made the 'foolish' remark on a Tory WhatsApp group ahead of Labour's conference in Brighton - where an IRA bomb killed five people at the Conservative conference in 1984.

Context is everything. What she says and thinks in private is fair game, or at a push you'd expect it in a left wing publication. To do it at a party conference or in the house of commons is just unprofessional.
There's things I would say to my mates or on NSC that I wouldn't dream of saying in front of a load of people at work.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Labour members tore into rule changes proposed by Keir Starmer to give MPs more sway over leadership elections, but the new rules were carried over the line after the trade union Unison gave its backing at the last minute.

The narrow victory on conference floor ended a difficult week for Starmer, in which he was repeatedly forced to water down his proposals, though his allies said he was thrilled with the final result – 53% in his favour – which he has said will draw a line under internal party debates.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Labour members tore into rule changes proposed by Keir Starmer to give MPs more sway over leadership elections, but the new rules were carried over the line after the trade union Unison gave its backing at the last minute.

The narrow victory on conference floor ended a difficult week for Starmer, in which he was repeatedly forced to water down his proposals, though his allies said he was thrilled with the final result – 53% in his favour – which he has said will draw a line under internal party debates.

What’s Unison been bribed with?

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles

surely with such a narrow margin of victory he should be demanding a rerun to get the clear answer that the labour party need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here