Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers

Statto said:
Thought it was funny the way he then turned round and started bollocking his defence.:lolol:

:lolol: OK, I laughed at that too.

But to be fair to Michel, he was probably up the pitch on team orders and it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference whether you lose 3-2 or 4-2.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
I reckon it was the condition of the pitch that deceived Hendo, the ball was hit firmly but was sticking to the pitch as it came towards him. It reminded me of a batsman deceived by a crafty slow ball.
As I said, conditions were certainly a factor. All conjecture of course, but I maintain that Kuipers would've held onto that. Hell, Henderson probably would have held on to it 8 times out of 10. Henderson isn't a bad keeper by any means. But he's not as good as the FDM, and it chafes me like a brillo pad down the trollies that he's wasting his time keeping goal at some obscure backwater 4th division no-hopers instead of helping us try to survive in this division.

Its as frustrating as it is inexplicable.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
London Irish said:
McGhee out for signing an international keeper? :lolol:

Well, what can you say, we have reached a land beyond logic.

That's exactely the point. How many keepers has McGhee signed?

How many do we need FFS? We had a perfectly good 1st tema keeper. Time and money should have been spent up from and in midfield.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Sandgate Seagull said:
And there lies the real reason for dropping Kuipers. To save cash.

I think staying in this division would see us save a lot of cash in TV rights!!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
London Irish said:
McGhee out for signing an international keeper? :lolol:

Well, what can you say, we have reached a land beyond logic.

But how much of that decision was McGhee's, perhaps Kuipers wanted to go out on loan, & perhaps DK told MM to trim the wage bil ( as with Jarrett, McCammon & McPhee ) if he wanted to get another striker in on loan ?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Easy 10 said:
Because Kuipers wouldn't have fumbled.

Henderson has a disturbing tendency of pushing the ball out into the middle of a mellee. Kuipers is a safer handler of the ball, always has been. It sticks with him, with Hendo it could go bloody anywhere.

No way Kuipers would have made the save that Hendo did in the first half though.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
London Irish said:
:lolol: OK, I laughed at that too.

But to be fair to Michel, he was probably up the pitch on team orders and it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference whether you lose 3-2 or 4-2.

Yeah, fair enough. Can see what you are saying. Still bloody funny though.:D

D

Deleted member 2719

Easy 10 said:
As I said, conditions were certainly a factor. All conjecture of course, but I maintain that Kuipers would've held onto that. Hell, Henderson probably would have held on to it 8 times out of 10. Henderson isn't a bad keeper by any means. But he's not as good as the FDM, and it chafes me like a brillo pad down the trollies that he's wasting his time keeping goal at some obscure backwater 4th division no-hopers instead of helping us try to survive in this division.

Its as frustrating as it is inexplicable.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Easy 10 said:
Disagree. I thought at the time he spilt a dribbler of a shot that was rolling across him, and now having seen it on TV, its only confirmed it. Henderson only had to fall on the bloody thing, he wasn't even having to stretch for it. There wasn't much pace on the shot at all, it was a bog-standard gathering save. Instead, he inexplicably "flicked" the ball with his hand onto the onrushing McShane, and the rest is history.

I know conditions were difficult, but Hendo would probably admit himself that he totally ballsed that up. I STILL don't understand why the FDM is being forced out of this club, because he is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best option we have between the sticks. He communicates, he organises, he's a tremendous shot-stopped, he's imposing...everything you'd want from a keeper. This "distribution" stuff thats levelled at him is a load of shit. We've got several outfield players who's "distribution" could much more readily be called into question. Kuipers is a goalie not a midfielder for christs sake. He's there to stop the ball going IN, not to set up attacks or pick out passes. I still maintain he is the best keeper at the club by a mile.

Pisses me off, it does.

Agree mostly but look at his injury record. Been here nearly six years and played 152 gams out of 276. (55%) The gaps are getting longer and longer between him playing for us.

Storer68 said:
Been here nearly six years and played 152 gams out of 276. (55%) The gaps are getting longer and longer between him playing for us.

Ever since that nightmare period where Blackwell, Rodger, Piercy and Roberts all were invalided out of the game within a short period, I think McGhee's bias has been towards favouring younger pros over more older, injury-prone players. The one exception to that rule has been Jason Dodd - and unfortunately that has lent weight to McGhee's general direction.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Easy 10 said:
Because Kuipers wouldn't have fumbled.

Henderson has a disturbing tendency of pushing the ball out into the middle of a mellee. Kuipers is a safer handler of the ball, always has been. It sticks with him, with Hendo it could go bloody anywhere.

Not remember Brighton v Hartlepool a few years ago?

Looping cross from the bloke...Michel caught it and then dropped it into the goal......It was weather+pitch that caused that fumble on saturday

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
fake slim said:

Looping cross from the bloke...Michel caught it and then dropped it into the goal......It was weather+pitch that caused that fumble on saturday

Dont be stupid Kuipers NEVER makes mistake sam

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Easy 10 said:
Disagree. I thought at the time he spilt a dribbler of a shot that was rolling across him, and now having seen it on TV, its only confirmed it. Henderson only had to fall on the bloody thing, he wasn't even having to stretch for it. There wasn't much pace on the shot at all, it was a bog-standard gathering save. Instead, he inexplicably "flicked" the ball with his hand onto the onrushing McShane, and the rest is history.

I know conditions were difficult, but Hendo would probably admit himself that he totally ballsed that up. I STILL don't understand why the FDM is being forced out of this club, because he is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best option we have between the sticks. He communicates, he organises, he's a tremendous shot-stopped, he's imposing...everything you'd want from a keeper. This "distribution" stuff thats levelled at him is a load of shit. We've got several outfield players who's "distribution" could much more readily be called into question. Kuipers is a goalie not a midfielder for christs sake. He's there to stop the ball going IN, not to set up attacks or pick out passes. I still maintain he is the best keeper at the club by a mile.

Pisses me off, it does.

Yes he has done really well at Boston recently at keeping the ball out. It is not impressive conceding 4 and 5 at that level.

Kuipers is injury prone. He has never played a full season and has missed a lot of games in recent years. He had a great season last year but it was only half a season. Since his injury he does not seem to be the same player. His distribution is woeful and in his last game against Sheffield United he was at fault for their second goal and then shouted at one of the club's young players.

There are some people on here who are so obsessed by Kuipers that he can do no wrong. If he had conceded the goals against Watford and Luton then it would not have been a mistake and you would have probably criticised anyone who said it was. Personally, I think that both Roberts and Henderson were better keepers than Kuipers in there time at the club. However, if Kuipers returns and plays again then I will not attack him every time he concedes a goal like some people on here do to Henderson.

We have a young keeper who has just made his debut for the Republic of Ireland and only cost us £20k. To put that into context it is less than we paid for Darren Carr 7 years ago. Try to support Henderson because he will improve and become an excellent player for now and the future.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Kuipers is a goalie not a midfielder for christs sake. He's there to stop the ball going IN, not to set up attacks or pick out passes. I still maintain he is the best keeper at the club by a mile.

Ooh ... I disagree. Double disagree.

Firstly, although I accept distribution isn't the most important aspect of a keeper, it ranks among the factors that distinguish a Premiership/good Championship keeper from a solid lower-league one. Watch someone like Robinson play to see the difference it makes to the game; he'll land it dead on Mido's head every time.

And though Kuipers may be a great shot-stopper, he's weak not only in distribution, but also in coming off his line, resulting in a number of goals against us, and in communicating with his defenders. Hendo's much better for me, and has time and fitness on his side to work on his weaknesses.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
"Barely jogging speed"? In order to defend Hendo (which is a praiseworthy), it's a shame you have to be so scapegoating towards Lynch and Butters. I guess it's always someone else's fault when one of your favourites is questioned, that was often the pattern with Leon Knight too. For the record, Feeney is a good player and his pace has hurt us more than once this season.

It's not scapegoating, it's just that I don't suffer from your constant perception that no-one's ever to blame for anything. Apart from possibly Leon Knight ...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
When Kuipers is at the top of his game - he has a dominance that I have not seen from any other Keeper for the Albion at Withdean.

The problem is - he gets injured - and then takes a bit of time to get himself up t the top of his game again. And when he is not at the top of his game - he can be woeful in that he transmits panic to his defence.

I like Michel, I think he can be a great keeper, but he not without his faults.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
fake slim said:

Aww come on, that was YEARS ago. The fact that you're trawling back that far to find a Kuipers cock-up probably speaks volumes for the fella (although he's dropped some clangers since then too).

Every keeper makes mistakes. Unfortunately its the one position on the field where every mistake usually ends up punished to the max. I just think its extremelely rare that the FDM has left us down.

I'm afraid he let us down the minute he told McGhee he wasn't prepared to accept being No2 and then fight for the shirt.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Repugnant Toad said:
Ooh ... I disagree. Double disagree.

Firstly, although I accept distribution isn't the most important aspect of a keeper, it ranks among the factors that distinguish a Premiership/good Championship keeper from a solid lower-league one. Watch someone like Robinson play to see the difference it makes to the game; he'll land it dead on Mido's head every time.

And though Kuipers may be a great shot-stopper, he's weak not only in distribution, but also in coming off his line, resulting in a number of goals against us, and in communicating with his defenders. Hendo's much better for me, and has time and fitness on his side to work on his weaknesses.
We'll have to agree to disagree here then.
I think distribution is very much secondary, and his ability between the sticks FAR outweighs the odd kick sliced into touch. I'd also take issue with your assessment of him coming off the line. For my money, he's one of the most reliable keepers we've had in that respect - he shows good judgement in his punching and claiming of crosses on the whole, and doesn't play silly buggers dribbling out of his area. Communication with his defence is also one of his KEY strengths, quite how you feel its a weakness in his game I find bizarre. He never stops talking, even when the ball is on the halfway line.

Of COURSE you can come up with examples of where he's bollocksed it up in the past - every keeper gets it wrong from time to time, and the FDM is no exception. But having stuck with him for so long getting him fit, I think its a waste farming him out to the lower leagues now, because I think he's the safest keeper we've had at the club in years.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Aww come on, that was YEARS ago. The fact that you're trawling back that far to find a Kuipers cock-up probably speaks volumes for the fella (although he's dropped some clangers since then too).

Every keeper makes mistakes. Unfortunately its the one position on the field where every mistake usually ends up punished to the max. I just think its extremelely rare that the FDM has left us down.

SHEFFIELD UTD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here