Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers- "The ultimate professional"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Asking - alright, demanding - an apology does sound like meeting him halfway. He could have told him to f*** off without giving Kuipers a chance to redeem himself. If McGhee hadn't asked for an apology, it was a strike for Kuipers being able to do what he did and not only get away with it, but be rewarded for it.
Disagree. Demanding an apology is nowhere NEAR "meeting him halfway". An apology is an admission that "ok boss, you were absolutely right and and I was totally in the wrong." It probably wasn't as black and white as that. I was at Southampton and was SHOCKED when I heard Kuipers had been dropped, so it was obviously a shock for him as well. McGhee COULD have gone to the press and said "yes Michels very unhappy at being dropped, but I'd expect that from any of my players. He has to get his head down now, prove me wrong and battle his way back into the team." Instead he goes to the Argus and says "he's not getting back in the team unless he apologises to me". f*** sake, thats just being precious.

Point is, in a situation like that, rightly or wrongly, the manager will often as not come out on top, and Kuipers really ought to be intelligent enough to realise that. Playing for Brighton & Hove Albion is clearly not enough of a pull for Kuipers for him to be able to do what was necessary.
Kuipers was obviously genuinely aggrieved, and quite frankly, given the replacements we've had in goal for him, I can't blame the fella. He's not some naive young kid just starting out in the game - he's an experienced member of the squad who'd given us dozens and dozens of top class displays over the years. He deserved better treatment.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Kuipers was obviously genuinely aggrieved, and quite frankly, given the replacements we've had in goal for him, I can't blame the fella. He's not some naive young kid just starting out in the game - he's an experienced member of the squad who'd given us dozens and dozens of top class displays over the years. He deserved better treatment.
Well, in that case, if he's experienced, he should know when to keep his trap shut and when to open it. As you said, it's not a case of who's right and who's wrong, but it is about knowing which side your bread is buttered. If he knows what it takes to get back in the team, he'd better do it.

No point in flouncing. Where's that going to get him? Boston United, that's where.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The fact is Kuipers was on his way out once the club offered a contract to John Sullivan. We already had Henderson, Kuipers and Martin on contracts and giving Sullivan one means we now have 4 keepers on professional deals and financially that is not something we can have.

Trouble is we are losing a decent keeper, but then if we had lost one of the kids to retain an injury prone player and that kid had gone elsewhere and been a star we would have been moaning about that.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
The fact is Kuipers was on his way out once the club offered a contract to John Sullivan. We already had Henderson, Kuipers and Martin on contracts and giving Sullivan one means we now have 4 keepers on professional deals and financially that is not something we can have.

Trouble is we are losing a decent keeper, but then if we had lost one of the kids to retain an injury prone player and that kid had gone elsewhere and been a star we would have been moaning about that.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Very sensible post.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Well, in that case, if he's experienced, he should know when to keep his trap shut and when to open it. As you said, it's not a case of who's right and who's wrong, but it is about knowing which side your bread is buttered. If he knows what it takes to get back in the team, he'd better do it.

No point in flouncing. Where's that going to get him? Boston United, that's where.
Sadly yes, thats exactly where his flounce got him. I just think this could all have been settled amicably behind closed doors with them having a private chat to sort out their differences, rather than McGhee clambering up onto his nag and demanding Kuipers publically kiss his ring.

I hope to christ it wasn't a financial decision, as Uncle Buck is suggesting. Sure he'd have been one of the bigger earners at the club, but we still had to go and spunk £20k on an inferior replacement, and we're STILL going to have to get another keeper in as well now, as McGhee has already said.

Last edited:

sir danny cullip said:
Whos fault is that MM's or Kuipers?

Kuipers - he went on strike while he should have stayed loyal to us in our relegation fight. Ultimate professional my arse.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Sadly yes, thats exactly where his flounce got him. I just think this could all have been settled amicably behind closed doors with them having a private chat to sort out their differences, rather than McGhee clambering up onto his nag and demanding Kuipers publically kiss his ring.

I hope to christ it wasn't a financial decision, as Uncle Buck is suggesting. Sure he'd have been one of the bigger earners at the club, but we still had to go and spunk £20k on an inferior replacement, and we're STILL going to have to get another keeper in as well now, as McGhee has already said.
I thought McGhee's first public announcement of this story was AFTER Kuipers declined to apologise. When did McGhee mention in it public before that? I must have missed it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
I thought McGhee's first public announcement of this story was AFTER Kuipers declined to apologise. When did McGhee mention in it public before that? I must have missed it.
Does it matter then ? It still ended up getting dragged through the press by McGhee going public with it, whether Kuipers had refused to apologise by then or not. Any chance of a reconciliation was probably destroyed by that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Does it matter then ? It still ended up getting dragged through the press by McGhee going public with it, whether Kuipers had refused to apologise by then or not. Any chance of a reconciliation was probably destroyed by that.
Ah, there's the rub. In that case, yes it does matter. The club had just 'released' Kuipers and needed to explain why. McGhee said he wanted an apology, and one was not forthcoming, hence the course of action the club took.

Point is, if no-one else wants him, he is back with us, spunking away a year of his footballing life when he could either (a) apologise and get his head down and work his way back into the team - something he is very capable of doing or (b) going to another club that wants him as badly as we do.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Large One said:
Ah, there's the rub. In that case, yes it does matter. The club had just 'released' Kuipers and needed to explain why. McGhee said he wanted an apology, and one was not forthcoming, hence the course of action the club took.

Point is, if no-one else wants him, he is back with us, spunking away a year of his footballing life when he could either (a) apologise and get his head down and work his way back into the team - something he is very capable of doing or (b) going to another club that wants him as badly as we do.

If he is still with us next year, won't he just go out on loan again?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
BarrelofFun said:
He may well have been the ultimate professional at Boston, and Evans is bound to say that if he wants to sign him.

If the net/paper talk is true and Kuipers behaved badly when dropped then he was not the model professional for us last season.

I think that even the "Model Professional" can be pushed too far by an incompetant idiot loke Magoo! :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:

McGhee does love his apologies, doesn't he. Even more important than League points it would seem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here