Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers- "The ultimate professional"

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
Another thing that people seem to be overlooking is that MK is apparently one of the highest paid players at the club and therefore its probably in the clubs interest financially to get rid of him rather than have him sitting on the bench.

Except that he is also the best keeper at the club (at least, for now)... who knows?... he may even have kept us up... instead, we wasted a few grand on a player in a position where we didn't have a problem...

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
B.W. said:
Except that he is also the best keeper at the club (at least, for now)... who knows?... he may even have kept us up... instead, we wasted a few grand on a player in a position where we didn't have a problem...

I also think hes the best keeper at the club, Hendersons form has dipped so much since he was on loan with us. Whatever peoples opinions on Henderson there's no doubting that the money could have been better used put towards a midfielder/striker.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
B.W. said:
So all the fantastic work the FDM put in for us in our successful period over several seasons counts for nothing because he was unhappy at being dropped for that buffoon French keeper... one of MM's worst ever decisions (and that is really saying something)...

It might surprise you too learn that part of the problem between MM and Michel was a former player who is very short and now molest sheep. Like all good 'buzz's' I will not name my source but i can tell you that they have nothing to do with the club, don't support BHAFC and most certainly don't have an axe to grind with Michel.
For what it's worth I want Michel to stay .....

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Deportivo Seagull said:
It might surprise you too learn that part of the problem between MM and Michel was a former player who is very short and now molest sheep. Like all good 'buzz's' I will not name my source but i can tell you that they have nothing to do with the club, don't support BHAFC and most certainly don't have an axe to grind with Michel.

That makes sense because was it not Leon who stuck up for Michel on the coach or was it the other way round? ???

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Deportivo Seagull said:

I think of a hopelessly troubled (Scottish, whisky-toting) woman, too terrified of voices of strength to tolerate any criticism of her increasingly bizarre behaviour. She keeps getting involved with the wrong men and having pointless one night stands with ghoulish (Argentinian and French) frauds. Even when they have gone, the scars can't heal enough for her to treat anyone who speaks out with anything but rabid fury.

McGhee should hold Michel near, have a little sob on his broad Dutch shoulders and confess his mistakes of yesterseason. Michel should comfort him in soft throaty tones and commit to being a little gentler next time Mark does something bewildering. Some sort of exorcism should be held over Leon Knight's old shirt. And then we'll start all over again.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Jimmy Saville said:
That's one thing I don't understand about Kuipers and McGhee. Kuipers has always come across as a club man, professional and a gentleman. I think it would be difficult to fall out with him.

That's what scares me the most about McGhee and his man-management. Of course, we can ALL see how you could fall out with Leon, but Michel Kupiers?

I know Corky fell out with him but that was Alan cork being a prat.

"Michelle is a girls name, no-one in a team of mine is called a girls name. I'm gonna call you Trevor." Or something like that. Eventually FDM snapped and had Cork against the wall by the throat, telling him his name is NOT Trevor.

So, he CAN be wound up, but it takes someone or something pretty brainless. Sorry MM, this doesn't reflect well on how you must have handled him.

Yoda

English & European
sir danny cullip said:
That makes sense because was it not Leon who stuck up for Michel on the coach or was it the other way round? ???

I think MK was questioning the decision when LK walked passed and said 'They don't know what they're doing' or something. That in turn kicked it all off.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Benny Zamora said:
We are left, as so often on NSC, to our own fragile judgements on the balance of whether those involved voiced their opinions (denoting a strength of character in the dressing room that we have regularly prospered from) or went too far and acted outside of the greater good.

Given the evidence - former marine, has repeatedly stated his adoration of the good ship BHA, no previous convictions for upheaval/squabbling during several shot-stopping seasons at the club, vs baffingly unconvincing manager who has a critically blemished record of gettingonability with players, i know what my instincts tell me. Apart from "go and eat something you anorexic twat."
Do what? Michel Kuipers, lovely man though he is, could also start a fight in an empty house.

I remember having a conversation with him during the first players' kit sponsors' do last year, and he was mightily cheesed off at the way Alan Blayney was playing (i.e. quite well) and that the club were interested in signing him. This, bearing in mind, was at the time Kuiper himself was injured and wasn't even playing. I got the distinct impression back then that he felt the first team goalie spot belonged to him by right.

But hey, when considering Kuipers and McGhee, quite often opposites attract, and like-for-like repel - very common in nature.

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
What you've described doesn't suggest the actions of man who could "start a fight in an empty house." I've also met him when he's obviously not been happy about being left out, and i've always found the passion he shows to keep his place satisfyingly thrilling.

The file we've got on him here at the watchtower doesn't record any managers apart from Mr The Game Was Irrelevant Anyway mentioning a problem with Michel's attitude, despite him being dropped fairly regularly.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kuipers was a VERY capable keeper at this club and was more than good enough to keep goal in the Championship for us. We've wasted money in the transfer market and lost valuable points as a DIRECT result of his absence between the sticks last season.

Leon was a short-arsed, short-term accident waiting to happen. He'll cause a ruck every other week. Kuipers was a faithful servant to the Albion over a number of years, and McGhee should've worked on repairing the damage instead of effectively telling him to "apologise or f*** off". We could ill afford to lose a keeper of his quality, but McGhee seems to prefer that rather than building bridges and man-managing his players. YES he has to be in control of the squad, but respect is a two-way thing, and I get the impression that McGhee is incapable of empathising.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Easy 10 said:
Kuipers was a VERY capable keeper at this club and was more than good enough to keep goal in the Championship for us. We've wasted money in the transfer market and lost valuable points as a DIRECT result of his absence between the sticks last season.

Leon was a short-arsed, short-term accident waiting to happen. He'll cause a ruck every other week. Kuipers was a faithful servant to the Albion over a number of years, and McGhee should've worked on repairing the damage instead of effectively telling him to "apologise or f*** off". We could ill afford to lose a keeper of his quality, but McGhee seems to prefer that rather than building bridges and man-managing his players. YES he has to be in control of the squad, but respect is a two-way thing, and I get the impression that McGhee is incapable of empathising.

well put sir:clap:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Easy 10 said:

Splendidly put squire!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Easy 10 said:
We could ill afford to lose a keeper of his quality, but McGhee seems to prefer that rather than building bridges and man-managing his players. YES he has to be in control of the squad, but respect is a two-way thing, and I get the impression that McGhee is incapable of empathising.

Uh huh - we could debate whose fault it was for ages but the net result is that the team lost out and will continue to if things don't get sorted. It would be spiffing if they could at least agree to disagree and get on with it, especially as their French/bankrupt nemeses have now exited stage left.

(Come on Michel, just pretend to be sorry you big camp Dutch lump of love...McGhee will be gone by Chrimbo...;) )

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:

I am a bit confused here. What precisely does 'faithful to the Albion' mean? Faithful to which aspect of the club? The team? His team-mates? The management? The chairman? The fans? Loyalty is a two-way street, and if that is not there, something has to give.

In other words, you're working on an assumption that Kuipers wanted to mend bridges as well. If Kuipers felt it was beneath him to apologise to the management team (an assumption we seem to have to come to according to the newspaper reports), what conclusions are there to be drawn from that? It appears that this particular bridge would have been mended with an apology. That apology, however, was not forthcoming.

Unless, of course, someone knows different to the story which appeared in the paper.

For what it's worth, I want to see Kuipers back as he is an excellent keeper. Just so long as he - and everyone else - can check their egos in at the door on the way in.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Deportivo Seagull said:

I heard something about him being friends with the poison dwarf, but you cannot compare the FDM's attitude with that of the little to$$er in Wales...

What we do know is that MM's player mis-management skills are now developed to the full, and we are beginning to lose players who we shouldn't be losing, IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:

Top post...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
I am a bit confused here. What precisely does 'faithful to the Albion' mean? Faithful to which aspect of the club? The team? His team-mates? The management? The chairman? The fans? Loyalty is a two-way street, and if that is not there, something has to give.

In other words, you're working on an assumption that Kuipers wanted to mend bridges as well. If Kuipers felt it was beneath him to apologise to the management team (an assumption we seem to have to come to according to the newspaper reports), what conclusions are there to be drawn from that? It appears that this particular bridge would have been mended with an apology. That apology, however, was not forthcoming.

Unless, of course, someone knows different to the story which appeared in the paper.

For what it's worth, I want to see Kuipers back as he is an excellent keeper. Just so long as he - and everyone else - can check their egos in at the door on the way in.
Faithful to the Albion in that he'd been at the club for nearly 5 years, was a pillar of the team for most of those years, and rarely let us down.

Look, we're all pissing in the wind with this to to a large extent, because although we may know the bones of the argument (Kuipers working his arse off to finally get fit and back in the team again, only to be inexplicably dropped for a shit frenchman, and kicking off at McGhee as a result), we don't know the specifics on how the row unfolded between them, or who said what to whom etc etc. Perhaps Kuipers is a man of principle and felt that he was fully justified in his complaint, and therefore has nothing to apologise for. Truth is, no-one posting on here can make an accurate judgement call on whether Kuipers or McGhee were "in the right" or "in the wrong" - but the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

For the sake of the team though, I think McGhee should've been prepared to meet Kuipers half way to repair their professional relationship. From the press reports though, nothing less than a full apology from Kuipers was going to do for McGhee. So we lost a HELL of a good keeper as a result.
Friom the outside looking in, thats just shit management for me I'm afraid.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Faithful to the Albion in that he'd been at the club for nearly 5 years, was a pillar of the team for most of those years, and rarely let us down.

Look, we're all pissing in the wind with this to to a large extent, because although we may know the bones of the argument (Kuipers working his arse off to finally get fit and back in the team again, only to be inexplicably dropped for a shit frenchman, and kicking off at McGhee as a result), we don't know the specifics on how the row unfolded between them, or who said what to whom etc etc. Perhaps Kuipers is a man of principle and felt that he was fully justified in his complaint, and therefore has nothing to apologise for. Truth is, no-one posting on here can make an accurate judgement call on whether Kuipers or McGhee were "in the right" or "in the wrong" - but the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

For the sake of the team though, I think McGhee should've been prepared to meet Kuipers half way to repair their professional relationship. From the press reports though, nothing less than a full apology from Kuipers was going to do for McGhee. So we lost a HELL of a good keeper as a result.

Another top post... :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:

Asking - alright, demanding - an apology does sound like meeting him halfway. He could have told him to f*** off without giving Kuipers a chance to redeem himself. If McGhee hadn't asked for an apology, it was a strike for Kuipers being able to do what he did and not only get away with it, but be rewarded for it.

Point is, in a situation like that, rightly or wrongly, the manager will often as not come out on top, and Kuipers really ought to be intelligent enough to realise that. Playing for Brighton & Hove Albion is clearly not enough of a pull for Kuipers for him to be able to do what was necessary.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here