Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers = Headless Chicken

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought it was FOUR! :cry:

Kuipers was sent of at 2-1 so it was 5 that Smith conceded. Though, he did also save a penalty.

Looking at the highlights, it looked to me like he started out (rightly) thinking the ball was going one way, then the ball took a horrid deflection over him. I don't think he should be criticised for flapping. Though I do think it's another in the ever-increasing list of incidents where he either should come for it but doesn't, or shouldn't come for it but does.

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009
Kuipers was sent of at 2-1 so it was 5 that Smith conceded. Though, he did also save a penalty.

Looking at the highlights, it looked to me like he started out (rightly) thinking the ball was going one way, then the ball took a horrid deflection over him. I don't think he should be criticised for flapping. Though I do think it's another in the ever-increasing list of incidents where he either should come for it but doesn't, or shouldn't come for it but does.

The problem is that Buzz is too similar in style to Kuipers. If you are going to drop Kuipers for the reason that he makes dodgy decisions in the 6 yard box, I am afraid that Buzz will not be a dramatic improvement.

Both keepers are excellent shot stoppers, who kick a bit squinty every now and again. Smith does not deserve to be judged on his 1st team outings thus far - too many in front of him failed to turn up in both those games IMHO.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Why is it that every goal we concede is apparently some unforgivable mistake by one of our players - Kuipers mainly? It's a football match - goals might or might not go in at either end at any point. That's the GAME. I think we really need to stop this attitude towards our own players every time things don't go our way. The last home game Tommy Elphick was ready to be dumped by most as he made a mistake, yet he has shown what a good player his is. Kuipers is quality but he will make mistakes - all players (keepers especially) do.

Last edited:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Just where was he wandering off to and what was he going to do when he got there? It really is comedy keeping and sadly, these mistakes are starting to come thick and fast.
I really think Smith should get a start, if only to get Kuipers to buck his ideas up.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You should have to earn your position in the starting lineup.. Kuipers unfortunately has made far too many errors recently. Smith needs to be given a chance. None of the defenders seem to have any respect for Kuipers and since we lost Mr Butters there's been no one to really boss the six yard area. There needs to be a mutual understanding between keepers/defenders and at the moment there isn't.

Why the hell we let Sullivan go is anyone's guess though.. I thought he looked like a really good prospect. One of our best.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
So Sullivan bosses the six-yard box better than Kuipers does he? Rubbish. He's not in the Millwall side either.

I really don't think you can blame Kuipers for not signing a replacement for Butters anyway - another player who was slated on here every time we lost by the way.

And how do you work out that the current back four have no respect for him?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
So Sullivan bosses the six-yard box better than Kuipers does he? Rubbish. He's not in the Millwall side either.

I really don't think you can blame Kuipers for not signing a replacement for Butters anyway - another player who was slated on here every time we lost by the way.

but Sullivan had plenty of time on his side to learn whereas Kuipers is a sinking ship, at least with Sullivan he could've got better and IMO would've been better than Kuipers at his peak, bad bit of business IMO.....MY OPINION :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine since the next game is the jpt, there may be some major shake ups. Forster given a rest, fringe players given a start, parhaps this would be a good time to give Smith a chance, Kuipers saves face since he's being "rested" instead of being "dropped", but will also get a chance to see that his competition is on form (if reserve results are anything to go by, minus that little blip) leading either to kuipers stepping up his game, or smith showing he deserves a chance..

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Yes he does. He looks to come for catches wherever he can, he's a great shot stopper and communicates very well with the team. My point is that Kuipers has lost his commanding air about him..

Ofourse you can't blame him for not signing a replacement Butters! But he needs to step up and really command his 6 yard box... like he used to. Remember the one knee in the air days where no forward would go near him for fear of death? when was the last time you saw him take a ball out of the air like that?.. not for a long time.

They never pass back to him unless they absolutely have to. His communication has got worse. And you see a whole lot of players having a go at him.. all the time. His distribution is poor as it always has been and it's becoming apparent that there are increasingly few reasons for him to own the no1 shirt as he seems to.

I'm frustrated because we had a young very promising keeper who looked as if he could provide competition for the shirt and that may have been exactly what was needed to get the best from both players.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not saying that Kuipers is the best keeper ever but I really struggle to see how Sullivan would have given him more competition than Smith right now. Maybe Sullivan will become a better keeper in time but that's not the point. Some want Kuipers dropped right now yet when he wasn't in the side we looked worse.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Last week at Bristol Rovers he made at least three magnificent stops. At Carlisle he made two saves in the last five minutes, one of which defied gravity. At Millwall he won us a point.

End of.

Is that it?

Defied Gravity? Last 5 minutes?

2 goals at fault for in 2 games. Your hyperbolic nonsense doesn't cover that. Retirement at the end of the season would be sensible I think, before his career nosedives ala Richard Carpenter.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Last week at Bristol Rovers he made at least three magnificent stops. At Carlisle he made two saves in the last five minutes, one of which defied gravity. At Millwall he won us a point.

End of.

totally agree - and applying that logic, adam el abd had done a good job in an unfamilliar position at left back in the four or five games proceeding saturday, and for that reason i think his mistake in getting sent off needs to be ignored

end of.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
You hate El Abd more than me!!

Anyway, the point with El Abd is his HISTORY. And that's the point with Michel too I suppose. El Abd has always been shit and a liability so, tiny run of average form or not, he'll soon go back to being a shit liability. Michel has always been a magnificent player and great servant to the club so, one MK Dons goal apart, he'll continue to be that.

carpenter, watson, rogers, butters were all magnificent players and great servants to the club - but it didnt mask the fact that towards the end of their careers they ended up putting in some pretty poor performances

kuipers cant go on forever, and judging by what i have seen at the back end of last season and the start of this season it looks like the decline that ALL players have with age is setting in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here