Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers doubt for tomorrow?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Neither Wilkins nor Adams has seen fit to give Sullivan a first-team chance, even when FDM's form has dipped, so I assume that they feel he is not as good as FDM.

That being the case, putting him in the side tomorrow is a risk and one that MA might not be willing to take if he can get a better keeper on loan.

I don't agree with bringing Sullivan in 'just to see'. That's not how teams should be selected. If he has a poor game, everyone on here will criticise MA and say he should have got a loanee in.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
He has to make his debut some time though. Leicester aren't "top dogs." In fact, they seem to be drawing most of their games at the moment and were booed off last week. It's not Man United or Chelsea we're playing!! It's a mediocre Leicester side. As long as we don't totally expose him I see no reason why he couldn't get through 90 minutes with his confidence not only intact, but enhanced.

I only called them top dogs as they are 4th, 4 points behind the leaders, 12 points and 14 places higher than us.

HE may well do OK, and he may have to play, but I personally dont think he is ready. He may prove me wrong, and I would love that, but he hasnt had a look in since turning pro, and Adams isnt the only manager to think it.

I havent agreed with Adams much at all this season, but this could be the first decision I have agreed with

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
He has to make his debut some time though. Leicester aren't "top dogs." In fact, they seem to be drawing most of their games at the moment and were booed off last week. It's not Man United or Chelsea we're playing!! It's a mediocre Leicester side. As long as we don't totally expose him I see no reason why he couldn't get through 90 minutes with his confidence not only intact, but enhanced.

Why does he have to make his debut some time? Just to be nice to him? Plenty of players never make the first team at a club.

I don't agree at all that Leicester are a mediocre side. Even if we played our best side, performing to their full potential, I would consider Leicester to be a better team than us.

If it can be avoided we shouldn't be giving a debut to a keeper that both Wilkins and Adams have thought not to be good enough for first team football.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I agree with the complete Badger - I would love to see Sullivan play.

In reality, I believe we will end up with Matt Murray on loan from Wolves. They already have two chamionship class keepers (Hennessey and Ikeme) and are looking to loan Murray out (after 16 months out with various injuries) to get match fitness.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I agree with the complete Badger - I would love to see Sullivan play.

In reality, I believe we will end up with Matt Murray on loan from Wolves. They already have two chamionship class keepers (Hennessey and Ikeme) and are looking to loan Murray out (after 16 months out with various injuries) to get match fitness.

On the assumption that Murray is a better keeper than Sullivan, would you not prefer Murray to play?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
On the assumption that Murray is a better keeper than Sullivan, would you not prefer Murray to play?

My preferred option would be for a loan striker to come in and us to give some experience to our own goalie - I think the need for a striker is more pressing. Murray would be a class act however.

[edit] - my prediction was wrong anyway. Wolves have had a loan request for Murray from an unnamed club, however they have had to turn it down as Ikeme (their current sub keeper) is a slight injury doubt.

Last edited:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
My preferred option would be for a loan striker to come in and us to give some experience to our own goalie - I think the need for a striker is more pressing. Murray would be a class act however.

But no-one has said it's a choice between a keeper and a striker, have they?

IF we can get a better keeper on loan, that is a far better option than giving a debut to a keeper that two managers must have had doubts about.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
But no-one has said it's a choice between a keeper and a striker, have they?

IF we can get a better keeper on loan, that is a far better option than giving a debut to a keeper that two managers must have had doubts about.

Fair point - I can't really argue with that. I suppose it may well ruin Sullivan if he plays and has a mare.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If they have such doubts about Sullivan, why is he still here? What's the point of having him on the books if he's not good enough to play in the event of an injury to Kuipers?

Exactly.

Presumably its in case Kuipers gets injured mid game, but they dont want him to play a full game!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We've got to be one of the unluckier squads for injuries? God knows who will be fit when we get to the business end of the season in March!
We've had about 4 injuries this season that I can think of.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe he is here as a reserve team only keeper. Due to the fact the club have entered into a reserve league, they have to field a team for X amount of fixtures every season. If they got rid of Sullivan, they would still need to replace him with another reserve keeper. Seems bizarre, but maybe that is why Sllivan is constantly overlooked yet always retained.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We've got to be one of the unluckier squads for injuries? God knows who will be fit when we get to the business end of the season in March!

We still have to be in the running before the start of business end of the season, the way things are going we will be way off that. We cant just turn on a switch to start playing well then, as people seem to think we can.
We havent won since AUGUST, we may not win our next 2 games, which will most likely put us in the relegation zone.

I know people say it is early, but a quarter of the season has been played, and you cant just assume we will turn good later in the season. We are home mentals, and have 5 homes games in a row to turn that around. We have 9 points already to make up on the play off placed teams, so we have to sort it out soon other wise the season will be a write off before Christmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here