Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight "We tried to bring in players"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
British Bulldog said:
There's only one way to find out! I mean face facts by not signing players like those we've allready lost 1000+ off the gate.

which brings us back to the old chestnut about speculating on an experienced striker that may or may not get us goals.

I just think we as a club are not in the game of paying money for transfers any more. Hopefully when Falmer is built then we will as these extra 10,000 are going to come out of the woodwork, but until then I think we will be treading water on a hand to mouth basis.

wooohoo...two cliches in one sentance:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
British Bulldog said:
There's only one way to find out! I mean face facts by not signing players like those we've allready lost 1000+ off the gate.
But if we took the "there's only one way to find out" route and gambled, and crowds stayed the same (which is a definite possibility as we aren't going to make a push for the playoffs) than we'd be worse off than we are now. It is a catch 22 situation.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dave the Gaffer said:
which brings us back to the old chestnut about speculating on an experienced striker that may or may not get us goals.

I just think we as a club are not in the game of paying money for transfers any more. Hopefully when Falmer is built then we will as these extra 10,000 are going to come out of the woodwork, but until then I think we will be treading water on a hand to mouth basis.

wooohoo...two cliches in one sentance:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

You take a gamble on any player you sign really, But I think we're taking a bigger gamble by not signing proven players and watching the crowds dwindle. We can worry about the crowds at Falmer when we get there, This about here and now at Withdean and getting the crowds back and they are'nt going to come if there's no investment in the team.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Silent Bob said:
But if we took the "there's only one way to find out" route and gambled, and crowds stayed the same (which is a definite possibility as we aren't going to make a push for the playoffs) than we'd be worse off than we are now. It is a catch 22 situation.

I appreciate it's catch 22 and I know promotion is out this season but it's also about building for next season as well, How we finish this season will set the tone for next season and could also dictate season ticket sales through the summer. If we finish the season on a high and investment in the team the enthusiasm is in place for next season, But if we finish the season on a low with no investment it just sets the rot in for the start of next season.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
British Bulldog said:
I appreciate it's catch 22 and I know promotion is out this season but it's also about building for next season as well, How we finish this season will set the tone for next season and could also dictate season ticket sales through the summer. If we finish the season on a high and investment in the team the enthusiasm is in place for next season, But if we finish the season on a low with no investment it just sets the rot in for the start of next season.
I agree but there are no guarantees. Take Currie as an example, I think he'd be an excellent signing who would make a real difference to us (as do most I think), but it seems we probably won't get him as Southend are supposedly offering him the chance to stay in the Championship. So what should we do? Go for someone else who might not be as good, and might not make a difference, just for the sake of signing someone?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
catch 22 arguement doesnt wash with me

We were in virtually the same position as this last year. We applied catch 22 and look at us a year on

Making the same mistake again would make shit business sense

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Silent Bob said:
I agree but there are no guarantees. Take Currie as an example, I think he'd be an excellent signing who would make a real difference to us (as do most I think), but it seems we probably won't get him as Southend are supposedly offering him the chance to stay in the Championship. So what should we do? Go for someone else who might not be as good, and might not make a difference, just for the sake of signing someone?

Ok we miss out on Currie but there must be players out there who can make a difference and it's upto the club to find them and bring them in. Micky Adams done it when the club were prepared to back him and i've no doubt Wilkins could do it as well given the backing.

My big worry is we are going down the same line as last year, No real investment in the January window, followed by a summer of discontent over the manager situation and here we are reeping the benefit of it now by languishing near the bottom of league 1 with low support at the Withdean. Again we dont seem to be investing in the team during January and Wilkins is only on a verbal contract until the end of the season, so where is that going to lead us to this time next year?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Just keep on ignoring the playing side Dick........You pushed it too far last jan with no investment and look what happened!

Bringing in the bare minimum loan wise is just not enough. What the fans pay to get in and the rubbish thats dished up isnt good enough. The panic button needs to be pressed with gates going towards 4500...were in trouble.

We need fresh blood and now to get us back up the table so at least finish with a flurrish and get the fans back to watch something close to decent performances....How can you justify at 12 midnight...no expiereinced players brought into the club.

What excuses will it be this time???

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
has anyone here got the feeling that there may be another scenario here?

That being, money was available to spend in in Sept and that MM failed to spend it. Since then that money has been spent on shoring up the finances to cover the reduction in gates (funny how we expect players to come to withdean when a large number of 'fans' wont!).

Any cash that is now available will be purely 100% based on the goodwill of shareholders or directors cos there's very little on the incomings and outgoings to justify a business release of cash we dont have.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
British Bulldog said:
You take a gamble on any player you sign really, But I think we're taking a bigger gamble by not signing proven players and watching the crowds dwindle. We can worry about the crowds at Falmer when we get there, This about here and now at Withdean and getting the crowds back and they are'nt going to come if there's no investment in the team.
Yeah - like thousands are going to return to see if we can change our position from lower mid-table to perhaps finish in a coveted upper mid-table spot. The gamble of signing players we couldn't afford in the early 1980s is what has put us in the shit we are in right now.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Dave the Gaffer said:
but if we havent got the money........

Thats not true

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
byf said:
Just keep on ignoring the playing side Dick........You pushed it too far last jan with no investment and look what happened!

Bringing in the bare minimum loan wise is just not enough. What the fans pay to get in and the rubbish thats dished up isnt good enough. The panic button needs to be pressed with gates going towards 4500...were in trouble.

We need fresh blood and now to get us back up the table so at least finish with a flurrish and get the fans back to watch something close to decent performances....How can you justify at 12 midnight...no expiereinced players brought into the club.

I MAKE THAT 5 SIGNINGS NOW!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
byf said:
Yeah - ONLY FIVE PLAYERS?! SORT IT OUT :angry: :censored: :angry: :censored: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
AND NOW 6! :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here